Opening A Bank Account In Phuket On Tourist Visa

Simon1985

Worth saying again that much depends on the attitude of the branch manager/staff. Kasikorn and Siam Commercial banks are more helpful than some other banks.

Yes. 4 years ago when I had a tourist visa I want to several Bangkok Banks and none would open an account for me without a work permit. Rawai Tesco did only on the promise that I would bring my WP in when I got it otherwise they would close the account later on.

Does anyone know if the Kasikorn or Siam Banks offer safety deposits boxes. Also are travellers cheques still easily cashed in Phuket. I was in another part of Asia last year and it was hard to find anywhere to cash travellers cheques.

There are safety deposit boxes but AFAIK people are waiting for YEARS in the queue to get them.

outside the tourist-ghetto the banks have empty safety deposit, cost around 6000thb a year..

take a drive and you find..

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I don't know if anyone will see this post as the last one was in May!!

BUT......the Kasikorn bank needs a 'copy of House Registration' for opening a bank account.

I'd like to open an account when I visit on a tourist visa in November but what is this 'house registration', please.

Cheers smile.png

• Like 1

Hi,

BUT......the Kasikorn bank needs a 'copy of House Registration' for opening a bank account.

I'd like to open an account when I visit on a tourist visa in November but what is this 'house registration', please.

Cheers smile.png

tabien-baan i think!

well every bank have different rules so try another one..

if not,you can deposit to my account...

Quite honestly opening a Thai bank account has always been hit or miss depending on how that branch manager interpretes the rules, and how hungry he is for new business. Recently I supplied a couple of my guests with the appropriate paperwork but they were flatly told a Work permit is required - Kasikorn and SCB. I advised them to try other branches - still waiting for them to report back.

I read this report in the Chiang Mai forum -->

There is a crackdown by the government. Was just talking to my broker in BKK today about it. Something about a new U.S. tax law as well as pressure from the E.U. They said soon it will be very difficult for foreigners to open brokerage accounts in Thailand anymore as well as restrictions on who can open bank accounts.

Link --> http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/657464-open-a-bank-account-scb-or-bangkok-bank/page-3

There are safety deposit boxes but AFAIK people are waiting for YEARS in the queue to get them.

outside the tourist-ghetto the banks have empty safety deposit, cost around 6000thb a year..

take a drive and you find..

Just pick up a house rental contract (tabian bahn for the linguists) from any stationary shop and fill it out yourself, put any old address you want on it. I usually put a kareoke bar on Patak Road as my primary address. When your having a few beers at a beer bar just get one of the birds behind the jump to put their moniker on it. Backdate it a few years, scrunch it up, spill a bit of coffee on it and presto! Looks like youve been living here for years

Hi,

Cheers smile.png

MY gf opened her account in Kamala branch, No taam bien baan needed. They do take on a sms service without telling u which is 199 baht.year ( i cancelled it)

and their atms cards are 800 baht!! compared to SCB at 150 a real rip off

IN Kamala the scb an bangkok bank would not open a new account without a wp

Hi,

Cheers smile.png

What Kasikorn branch did you go to?

Edited by Simon1985

Hi Simon,

I haven't been to a branch yet.

I'm in Johannesburg, planning to move to Phuket.

(Believe me, it can't be worse than South Africa. I bet you don't get shot dead for a mobile phone!)

Anyway, earlier in this thread KBank was mentioned as one where I could probably open an account with only a passport and a tourist visa. I went on their website and they specify needing a house registration (yellow/blue book?) as well.

I'm coming to Phuket for a week in November and I'd like to open a bank account to have somewhere to transfer funds in the future.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, thanks!

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

@IrishIvan

Your suggestion re: a homemade rental book is cool, but what if they want to send me paperwork and a cheque card to the 'karaoke bar'. Surely I'm going to need a real address, either in Thailand or at home in Johannesburg?

Hi Simon,

I haven't been to a branch yet.

I'm in Johannesburg, planning to move to Phuket.

(Believe me, it can't be worse than South Africa. I bet you don't get shot dead for a mobile phone!)

Anyway, earlier in this thread KBank was mentioned as one where I could probably open an account with only a passport and a tourist visa. I went on their website and they specify needing a house registration (yellow/blue book?) as well.

I'm coming to Phuket for a week in November and I'd like to open a bank account to have somewhere to transfer funds in the future.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received, thanks!

If you rent a house, get a copy of the rental agreement, take it to immigration and get a proof of residence letter. This should satisfy the bank, though, it might be best if you check with them first.

Ah, your experience was based on a web question. Just come here and check a few different branches.

And no worries, I have never received any mail from any bank here yet (and they do have the correct address in the books). Still I would not follow that suggested solution.

Edit: not true, I do receive some mail from Bangkok Bank here sometimes, but that is not intended for me.

Edited by stevenl

If you rent a house, get a copy of the rental agreement, take it to immigration and get a proof of residence letter. This should satisfy the bank, though, it might be best if you check with them first.

Says he is only here for a week. Most likely staying at hotel or guesthouse. Won't have any rental agreement. Immigration won't give residence letter on a transit visa (30 day stamp).

Bank's never post any documents to a home address. ATM card is issued at time of opening bank account. Ain't no cheques or cheque card going to be issued to a private individual.

Thanks, LIK, you are absolutely correct.

It's sounding like I won't be able to open an account unless I'm living in Thailand with a proper visa and an address.

When I move to Phuket, I'll just have to arrive armed with lots of cash until I can get an account up and running, is that it?

Cheers

I opened an account at the Bangkok Bank in Patong on Rat-U-Thit Road with only my passport with a tourist visa last year. Had my girlfriend do the talking. Had to take out some insurance for 2000THB. Used my girlfriends address in Ubon as my mailing address in Thailand. Got her Mum to SMS my password for internet banking when it was mailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by BShifty

Katsikorn Khao Lak requires a work permit, but a friend of mine managed to open an account nevertheless telling them she had found a job and that the work permit application procedure was in motion.

Friend of mine did this at BKK Bank in Phuket. Only thing is that he can only draw from a BKK bank ATM and he cannot swipe his card at the tills. sad.png

Until his WP arrives. whistling.gif