Non Imm-O For Volunteer; Can It Be Changed To Non Imm-O Ed ?

Non Imm-O for volunteer; can it be changed to Non Imm-O ED , while in country ? Or Non-Imm-O for "to stay after retirement for the elderly"

I am US citizen, 50 years old, but would like to volunteer long term, and have a few places in mind

However, would like to know the processes, and procedures, if one volunteer place didn't work out , etc...

<br><br><br><br><br><br>

- other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the judicial process.

Edited by chubby

It would not be a change.

It would be applying for an extension of stay based upon going to school instead of as a volunteer.

The only visa related requirement is that you have a non immigrant visa entry to get the extension.

Edited by ubonjoe

It would be applying for an extension of stay based upon going to school instead of as a volunteer.

The only visa related requirement is that you have a non immigrant visa entry to get the extension.

thanks, but i imagine, the new volunteer company would have to be filling out paperwork? or do volunteers needs work permits ?

if i changed to retirement, then i'd have to prove the income/deposit levels required for the past year ? etc

Regardless of the formalities of Visas, extension of visa, and/or work permits etc. there are basically two types of NGOs in Thailand as involves alien volunteers:

One type NGO who will say "These is our well established procedures for non-Thai volunteers," and another type NGO who says: 'We have no idea -- you'll have to find out for yourself and then let us know."

thanks, but i imagine, the new volunteer company would have to be filling out paperwork? or do volunteers needs work permits ?

if i changed to retirement, then i'd have to prove the income/deposit levels required for the past year ? etc

Volunteers do need work permits, and for that both you and the company must rovide documents etc.

If changing to retirement, you proof income or money in the bank for 2 months (3 months every next application) not over the past year, but currently.

ok,thx,so:

lets say, i am a bkk volunteer, the NGO does all the pwork for the work permit, and i assume works with me on the Non-Imm O for "social welfare"; perhaps I must work a certain number of hours? ; then I decide I no longer want to volunteer with the NGO,

should I have just keep the minimums in the Thai Bank, in case this were to happen, I would wait till the 90 day period was over and show that I qualify by investment in Thai Bank ?

and/or I would have till end of 90 day period , to get signed up with new NGO, who would also have to have work permit in place to justify the Non-Imm O ?

I'd suggest you read the pinned topics at the top of the forum. It will give you lots of info, including the correct terminology used for WP's, visas, extensions ect.

If you have a visa, and quit volunteering, you can wait until just before it expires to apply for an extension.

That sounds like it would be for retirement purposes, not investing in a bank.

If you have an extension on a visa, when you quit volunteering you have to leave the country the same day, or apply for an extension - for whatever you qualify for.

You won't be able to get a work permit with an extension based on retirement.

Good luck.

Terry

Sure. Your employer can help you with all your paperwork. The extension, the work permit all of it.

Good luck.with that impossibility ☺

You need to scrutinize this NGO very closely, Thsiland allows very, very few foreigners even foreign entities to work within its borders. NGO in BKK you say??? You don't speak Thai and are bringing what highly specialized skill to Thailand the Thai's wholly lack in social services?

Are you paying for any of this?

Edited by bangkokburning

ok,thx,so: lets say, i am a bkk volunteer, the NGO does all the pwork for the work permit, and i assume works with me on the Non-Imm O for "social welfare"; perhaps I must work a certain number of hours? ; then I decide I no longer want to volunteer with the NGO, should I have just keep the minimums in the Thai Bank, in case this were to happen, I would wait till the 90 day period was over and show that I qualify by investment in Thai Bank ? and/or I would have till end of 90 day period , to get signed up with new NGO, who would also have to have work permit in place to justify the Non-Imm O ?

You could change from an extension of stay based upon being a volunteer to an extension based upon retirement if you can show 800K baht in the bank (it is not for investment) for 60 days.

Or if you have not yet got an extension for volunteering yet you could do the retirement extension during the last 30 days of your 90 day non-o visa entry.