Amnesty Bill To Reignite Tensions In Thailand

webfact

absolve all political offenders involved in protests since a 2006 coup and open the way for divisive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from self-imposed exile.

I don't see a connection between the 'protests since the coup' and Thaksin's case.

Well, no logical one. However, TIT.

The problem is that no one was able to investigate Thaksin while he was in power. Because of the coup, he could be investigated, and all these issues came up where he allegedly broke the law. Therefore, because of the coup, Thaksin has been charged with all these crimes. Without the coup, he would have never been investigated and charged.

No coup. No charges.

And a bit of revisionist law changing was needed also let's not forget.

absolve all political offenders involved in protests since a 2006 coup and open the way for divisive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return from self-imposed exile.

I don't see a connection between the 'protests since the coup' and Thaksin's case.

The problem is that no one was able to investigate Thaksin while he was in power. Because of the coup, he could be investigated, and all these issues came up where he allegedly broke the law. Therefore, because of the coup, Thaksin has been charged with all these crimes. Without the coup, he would have never been investigated and charged.

No coup. No charges.

And a bit of revisionist law changing was needed also let's not forget.

I thought the only revisionist change was disbanding parties.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dr. Thaksin is never coming back to Thailand! That's the deal between the Amataya, the Army, and the PTP. The PTP can stay in power and steal as much as they can, the PTP leave the Amataya to their own money-making schemes, the Army get free-rein to do its schemes. Everyone is happy except Dr. Thaksin; hence the Kabuki dance of pretending to work to get him home Scott-free. Notice how many no-shows in Parliament for important votes. They've had an unchallengeable majority for two years and STILL haven't brought him home. They obviously aren't trying very hard. Chalerm, Plodprasob, and a dozen others think they could replace Thaksin and do a better job. They are rich and powerful and don't like to be bossed like Dr. Thaksin is in the habit of doing. He has betrayed so many close friends and associates in the past that no one trusts him. He is only being 'nice' now because he needs them. They are aware that, as with the Red Shirts, when they are no longer needed, they too will be discarded. 300 billion for water management, 2.2 trillion for infrastructure, why would they want to give the lion's share to Dr. Thaksin? They don't want to and are lying to him every day, professing their undying loyalty and stalling, stalling, stalling. LOL!

Thaksin's case and conviction was not because he was one of the "political offenders involved in protests" since the coup.

Therefore his case and his conviction does not come under the scope of this reconciliation bill.

That is why I said I see no logical connection between his case and this bill. And no justification to "open the way" for Thaksin to return.

<

blockquote>

He [Chalerm] said it aims to grant amnesty to concerned people involved in political incidents from 2006 to the Pitak Siam group rally in Bangkok in November las

tyear.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639703-i-will-table-amnesty-bill-next-week-says-chalerm/

Since Thaksin and his supporters say that the charges were politically motivated by the coup generals, they would probably fall under "political incidents" and be covered.

From "political offenders involved in protests" to "people involved in political incidents"! biggrin.png

I wonder what the wording of the actual bill is? ohmy.png

That will keep a few lawyers busy for years.

How is fraud a 'political incident' ?

Who committed fraud ?

Any Thaivisa reader who has not read Orwell's 'Animal Farm' should do so immediately.

Animal Farm is an excellent read if one holds Thai politics in mind.

But actually your point has a flip side... one could also read Orwell's 1984 or, even better, Huxley's Brave New World. That's the essential message we get from the more intellectual Red Shirts like Sombat Boonngamanong and Veera Musikapong.

No coup. No charges.

Thaksin's case and conviction was not because he was one of the "political offenders involved in protests" since the coup.

Therefore his case and his conviction does not come under the scope of this reconciliation bill.

That is why I said I see no logical connection between his case and this bill. And no justification to "open the way" for Thaksin to return.

But if Thaksin does receive amnesty of course he has his eye on the bigger prize, the confiscated 46 Billion Thai Baht, plus interest of course.

No coup. No charges.

But if Thaksin does receive amnesty of course he has his eye on the bigger prize, the confiscated 46 Billion Thai Baht, plus interest of course.

Wasn't 42 billion used to pay off the National Debt?

No coup. No charges.

Wasn't 42 billion used to pay off the National Debt?

Don't know what it was used for other than it was probably put into the national treasury. I don't think he will have any trouble getting his confiscated funds returned (with interest) as long as this government is in office.

Dr. Thaksin is never coming back to Thailand! That's the deal between the Amataya, the Army, and the PTP. The PTP can stay in power and steal as much as they can, the PTP leave the Amataya to their own money-making schemes, the Army get free-rein to do its schemes. Everyone is happy except Dr. Thaksin; hence the Kabuki dance of pretending to work to get him home Scott-free. Notice how many no-shows in Parliament for important votes. They've had an unchallengeable majority for two years and STILL haven't brought him home. They obviously aren't trying very hard. Chalerm, Plodprasob, and a dozen others think they could replace Thaksin and do a better job. They are rich and powerful and don't like to be bossed like Dr. Thaksin is in the habit of doing. He has betrayed so many close friends and associates in the past that no one trusts him. He is only being 'nice' now because he needs them. They are aware that, as with the Red Shirts, when they are no longer needed, they too will be discarded. 300 billion for water management, 2.2 trillion for infrastructure, why would they want to give the lion's share to Dr. Thaksin? They don't want to and are lying to him every day, professing their undying loyalty and stalling, stalling, stalling. LOL!

We can but hope