Villa Super Market Opening In Cherng Talay

backstairs

I am told that another VILLA supermarket is being built as a part of the new complex that I believe is called BOAT AVENUE down the road between The Black Cat and Peppers.

Is this true? It will mean a shorter car ride for Laguna folks. And, if true, does anyone know the Grand Opening date?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it'll be another price-gouger like the Chalong one.

I don't think Villa Market is a price-gouger. Expensive for some items, sure, but over the top, no. Also, afaik Villa Market has the same prices everywhere, so why would Chern Talay be any different from the other Villa Markets?

• Like 1

I don't think Villa Market is a price-gouger. Expensive for some items, sure, but over the top, no. Also, afaik Villa Market has the same prices everywhere, so why would Chern Talay be any different from the other Villa Markets?

I don't recall Villa Market in Bangkok (Sukh soi 5?) being overly expensive. I think that's because of something called "competition". Also, taxis in Bangkok enable people to travel to more distant supermarkets cheaply.

There are examples of extreme price gouging at Chalong. I once did a price comparison of my typical shopping basket of goods and Villa was way over the top for many items. Since then I haven't bothered even going there. Maybe their prices have come down since I did that comparison, but I doubt it.

I don't recall Villa Market in Bangkok (Sukh soi 5?) being overly expensive. I think that's because of something called "competition". Also, taxis in Bangkok enable people to travel to more distant supermarkets cheaply.

There are examples of extreme price gouging at Chalong. I once did a price comparison of my typical shopping basket of goods and Villa was way over the top for many items. Since then I haven't bothered even going there. Maybe their prices have come down since I did that comparison, but I doubt it.

Ok, please show me the items you buy cheaper at Villa Bangkok. Have been there once (lower Sukhumvit) and the things I wanted were priced the same as Chalong. But maybe other items have different prices.

A consumer goods market like Villa is in doesn't allow price gouging. Maybe certain items are more expensive at Villa than at the local Tesco, but if over the top prices they would not be doing business for long, let alone opening new at multiple locations. Not in their market.

Ok, please show me the items you buy cheaper at Villa Bangkok. Have been there once (lower Sukhumvit) and the things I wanted were priced the same as Chalong. But maybe other items have different prices.

A consumer goods market like Villa is in doesn't allow price gouging. Maybe certain items are more expensive at Villa than at the local Tesco, but if over the top prices they would not be doing business for long, let alone opening new at multiple locations. Not in their market.

I knew you'd ask that. This was about three years ago, so I'm not producing a list for you. But I remember they were between 5 and 10% more expensive than Big C. One item sticks in my mind - a 250g jar of Marmite: over 400 baht. Stupid price. Even Central had it for about 300 baht when they had some.

You mention Tesco. That's another gouger. I was there last week looking for some seasoning and spices as Big C don't have much of a selection. I noticed that Tesco were selling 24x250ml bottles of Coca Cola for 266 baht. I had just bought some at Makro and had the receipt in my wallet: 210 baht.

I knew you'd ask that. This was about three years ago, so I'm not producing a list for you. But I remember they were between 5 and 10% more expensive than Big C. One item sticks in my mind - a 250g jar of Marmite: over 400 baht. Stupid price. Even Central had it for about 300 baht when they had some.

You mention Tesco. That's another gouger. I was there last week looking for some seasoning and spices as Big C don't have much of a selection. I noticed that Tesco were selling 24x250ml bottles of Coca Cola for 266 baht. I had just bought some at Makro and had the receipt in my wallet: 210 baht.

More expensive than Big C? First of all that was not the issue, you claimed Villa Chalong was the price gouger so the comparison should be with other Villa Markets, secondly, I would expect Villa to be more expensive than Big C, after all the shopping experience is different.

I think Big C is in general cheaper than Tesco, so Tesco is also a price gouger? Sorry, but that is nonsense, you'll always find something cheaper elsewhere. You're best of buying whole boxes from the wholesaler.

<snip>

so Tesco is also a price gouger? Sorry, but that is nonsense,

<snip>

Did you not read the bit about 266 baht vs. 210?

Did you not understand my post? Following your reasoning they're all price gougers, including Big C and Makro.

<snip>

so Tesco is also a price gouger? Sorry, but that is nonsense,

<snip>

Did you not read the bit about 266 baht vs. 210?
Did you not understand my post? Following your reasoning they're all price gougers, including Big C and Makro.

Yes. They all gouge and they all have loss leaders. It is my opinion that Villa are one of the worst gougers and Makro are generally cheapest. The example I gave of Tesco selling for 266 baht what can be bought at Makro for 210 baht is what I would call gouging.

^

Essentially Makro are a wholesaler (albeit with less than stringent customer vetting), so not really fair to compare with other retailers.

I don't use VM that often (once or twice a week I guess), but find their locally sourced products priced pretty much the same as other places (excepting markets of naturally). Of course the imported and perishable foods are expensive, same as many other countries with exorbitent import taxes. Where VM scores is the range of options and having items you just won't get anywhere else.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I am taking a run over to Phuket tomorrow and curious about the new Villa Market in Cherngtalay/ Laguna. First where would it be coming toward Cherngtalay from the Heroines Monument, and second, do they have a reasonable selection of things as down at Chalong? Hoping to find some molasses and even Jalapeno peppers among other odd things...thanks for any replies

I stand corrected. Boat Ave is open.

I walked through the area and there are some businesses already operating. There is a nice coffee shop in the front.

Villa Market is in back. Picture taken today attached.

I can't wait until they open. Gouge or no gouge it will save me a lot of time driving to Patong or Chalong.

post-164968-0-05902400-1380357094_thumb.

The new, giant Tesco Lotus is going up fast in Chalong.

Anyone know when they will open for business?

I read somewhere that it was going to be early 2015, though the rate at which it's going up, that seems highly pessimistic.

Will put the big squeeze on Villa Mart once it ooens that is for sure.

I read somewhere that it was going to be early 2015, though the rate at which it's going up, that seems highly pessimistic.

Really don't think so, as Tesco Lotus's target population are local Thais, not the farang expats and visitors. VM is very much a niche market of primarily imported goods, with a sprinkling of locally produced products.

For me the real revolution will be when the AEC expands to include Japan, South Korea, and most critically Australia. That said, whether the AEC in it's intended state will even happen in 2015 or indeed if at all, is suspect.

I don't agree. Their markets do overlap for the ordinary run-of-the-mill stuff, but, Villa has created a niche market for itself with imports that are just not available elsewhere.

I shop at Villa Market because they stock products that I cannot source at other supermarkets. Can't say I pay that much attention to the prices of individual items but it hasn't struck me that they are much different to the others. The service is good, staff are helpful and polite and they even offer free delivery.

So when is it opening? Looks like it's at least another month away from completion

Big One in Cherng telay has a far larger selection of foreigner foods in 1/10 the space. There's also a newer Russian owned store across from Tesco that has lot of western stuff, too.

Tesco stinks. Literally and I get disgusted at the taxis lurking about, at all the tescos parking in handicapped places or in yellow or red curbs that make the lot unsafe, taking up all the benches in front.