Villa Super Market Opening In Cherng Talay

backstairs

Chalong is about an hour from Boat Avenue and Laguna. No one is going to drive to a new Tesco there, passing the by pass road Tesco.

There are about 10 closer stores all with a better selection of foreign foods than Tesco. You even can get to the super Tesco in Thalang in about 15 minutes through Buffalo alley.

I just want a decent frozen pizza, something no stores offer in the area ( squid pizza? barwff) and a decent sherbet.

The new, giant Tesco Lotus is going up fast in Chalong.

Anyone know when they will open for business?

I read somewhere that it was going to be early 2015, though the rate at which it's going up, that seems highly pessimistic.

Will put the big squeeze on Villa Mart once it ooens that is for sure.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalong is about an hour from Boat Avenue and Laguna. No one is going to drive to a new Tesco there, passing the by pass road Tesco.

There are about 10 closer stores all with a better selection of foreign foods than Tesco. You even can get to the super Tesco in Thalang in about 15 minutes through Buffalo alley.

I just want a decent frozen pizza, something no stores offer in the area ( squid pizza? barwff) and a decent sherbet.

I read somewhere that it was going to be early 2015, though the rate at which it's going up, that seems highly pessimistic.

Think you're missing the point MacChine, of course the local Cherng Talay/Thalang population isn't going to suddenly start heading towards Chalong, but the southern Phuket population that uses the Sam Kong Tesco Lotus are going to welcome it. The fact that southern Phuket customers no longer have to traverse the Bypass Road in it's various states could also be a bonus. Always a case of supply and demand, and my money is on Tesco Lotus to have got this one right.

So I did have to travel down to Chalong. Added three hours to my day. Extremely happy to have moved off the island, but will still have to "experience" the Phuket ambiance every couple months shopping for those things not available anywhere else. Every time I swear I will never be back. Never say never...

The problem is that Villa is targetted to the deep-pocketed expat and Hi-So Thai crowd. (Think Muesli.)

Increasingly, with the strengthening baht and declining buying power of pensioned ex-pats in the non-tourist Phuket bastions such as Chalong and Cherng Talay, the market for Villa products wil effectively merge with Tesco-Lotus and Makro. Variety and price accordingly.

No loss really, if you are a well-adjusted Farang in Phuket, since there are so many sources of excellent, fresh produce to be found here.

• Like 1

The problem is that Villa is targetted to the deep-pocketed expat and Hi-So Thai crowd. (Think Muesli.)

Increasingly, with the strengthening baht and declining buying power of pensioned ex-pats in the non-tourist Phuket bastions such as Chalong and Cherng Talay, the market for Villa products wil effectively merge with Tesco-Lotus and Makro. Variety and price accordingly.

No loss really, if you are a well-adjusted Farang in Phuket, since there are so many sources of excellent, fresh produce to be found here.

Don't agree. There are plenty of "moneyed-up" expats and there always will be.

Villa products will not "merge" with Tesco Lotus and Makro. Villa has a completely different business plan.

If anything, I think you'll see that Tesco Lotus will start stocking more imports and will compete for the premium market with Villa.

Edited by KarenBravo
  • Like 2

Villa and Tesco to cater to the same targeted markets? Food land same as 7? Take Marketing 101-103 and some Econ classes while you are at it. They may marry but keep different markets with different names so as to satisfy and confuse the consumer. I may go to 7 and have a wave pizza. He he. . My girl made some steamed fish with lemon for 150 bath. From big C Yesterday. Tomorrow is Fuji (900 baht.)

Sorry Karen and Quiuvo for being oblique. My point is this: Ex-pats in Phuket should stop trying to mold this tropical island paradise into some version on their home country. You ex-pats, by definition, have made the commitment to live here long-term. Try to adapt. Lose the Muesli, Parma ham, and imported cheeses as part of your regular diet.

Try to develop a taste and appreciation for the local cuisines, shops and products instead of relying on imported goods. It will not only help the local economy but also might make you a more appreciated member of the community. (And while you're at it, learn the Thai language.)

Sorry Karen and Quiuvo for being oblique. My point is this: Ex-pats in Phuket should stop trying to mold this tropical island paradise into some version on their home country. You ex-pats, by definition, have made the commitment to live here long-term. Try to adapt. Lose the Muesli, Parma ham, and imported cheeses as part of your regular diet.

Try to develop a taste and appreciation for the local cuisines, shops and products instead of relying on imported goods. It will not only help the local economy but also might make you a more appreciated member of the community. (And while you're at it, learn the Thai language.)

Oh please! Change my diet to Thai, just because I live in Thailand?

Why "should" expats abandon the concept of choice?

I have been here a long time, when there was no fresh milk, or bread (that wasn't yellow, or green). I ate Thai food exclusively then. I much prefer it now.

For people to "adapt", is it mandatory to eat Thai food, or, do you think it's still possible to speak the language, have a good working knowledge of the culture and still eat western food?

So when is it opening? Looks like it's at least another month away from completion

Big One in Cherng telay has a far larger selection of foreigner foods in 1/10 the space. There's also a newer Russian owned store across from Tesco that has lot of western stuff, too.

Tesco stinks. Literally and I get disgusted at the taxis lurking about, at all the tescos parking in handicapped places or in yellow or red curbs that make the lot unsafe, taking up all the benches in front.

What amazes me, and it seems to be unique to Tesco clientele, is the leaving of a shopping trolley behind someone else's car once they have unpacked their shopping into their car. Even when they only have to walk the trolley a couple of meters to the trolley stand. So selfish, lazy and uncaring of risk to other cars.

• 1 month later...
header.gif

Home | Hotels | Property | Tourism | Video | Newspaper Columns | C9 Reports

At long last news in from Boat Avenue’s developer that Villa Market will open onFriday December 20th.

With 1,200 square meters the Cherngtalay store is more than twice the size of the Chalong outlet.

There are other retail and food and beverage outlets that will be coming to Boat Avenue in the near future.

The Laguna Phuket area is experiencing a surge of new residential, commercial and hotel development which is expected to escalate next year.

• Like 2

I know KB has been a resident here in Phuket for some 30 years, and has an excellent grasp of Thai.

Many of us (not all) do in the main eat Thai food, however that doesn't stop us from occasionally getting and enjoying products from our home countries. It's called variety, and more importantly it's called choice. Phuket has declined in many areas, however in the area of choice, be it for shopping or virtually anything else you can think of, over recent years it's improved.

recall if u wanted western food to prepare yo had to travel to Phuket town and Sin & Lee.

Much better having choices now!!

• 2 weeks later...

Big banner by BAKE confirming the 20th. And on the other side of cherng talay lots of banners informing us that UNIQLO is opening at tesco lotus. Yipee. Will that be the main tesco at the x roads!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I don't agree. Their markets do overlap for the ordinary run-of-the-mill stuff, but, Villa has created a niche market for itself with imports that are just not available elsewhere.

Yeah, agreed, there wont be much custom lost from VM d/t the new tesco.

I find it hard to not go into VM if Im at home pro, so many tempting things in there, best at the start of the month though as the shelves empty pretty quick sometimes.

Took these a few days ago, seriously doubt a Dec 20 opening, ( maybe Dec 2014)

I saw the banner too. " Now open" beyond stupid. Banner was laying on the side of the road next day.

Noted the nice dump next door for the waste, soon to be burned

post-179390-0-19585900-1386409499_thumb.

post-179390-0-26714000-1386409539_thumb.

Sorry but I get grossed out when I see someone handling money, picking their nose and / or pimples and then handling food. Thais simply do not have any sense about hygiene, wiping dirty tables and chairs with the same filthy cloth to dry cutlery, etc etc etc If you point it out to them you're rude or worse, get that simpleton giggle.

I picked Phuket exactly because it has a large expat community and I wish to patronize their businesses- places where dogs aren't roaming the tables or kids, with their unique and pervasive school pathogens snotting all over everything while helping mom out. How many Thais actually have suitably hot water to wash dishes? ZIPPO

Places are disgusting- maybe sizzling hot BBQ from a street stall - that's about it for me for low end Thai restaurants.

Edited by EBlair48
  • Like 1

From those pictures there is no way that they will have a December 20 opening. Thais are super slow at construction (just look at the slow pace of the roadwork next to Central) so I'm guessing for a 6 months delay. And yeah, that sign "We are now Open" is beyond stupid.

Popped by on Saturday.

Shelves are going up now, the time was about 9pm so they are doing late's.

Funnily I went past Tesco Chalong today. That place is almost finshed and looks more likely to open on Dec 20th yet construction started probably a year after Villa Bang Tao.

I also noticed the through- way parking lot where the strip mall shops are, is about 10 meters too narrow. Get two of the gargantuan sized 4 door pick-up trucks parking across from each other and it's impassable.

Building codes? What building codes.

In my best Elmer Fudd accent possible, let me be perfectly clear: I will never, ever, give up on my Parma ham! biggrin.png

Oh please! Change my diet to Thai, just because I live in Thailand?

Why "should" expats abandon the concept of choice?

I have been here a long time, when there was no fresh milk, or bread (that wasn't yellow, or green). I ate Thai food exclusively then. I much prefer it now.

For people to "adapt", is it mandatory to eat Thai food, or, do you think it's still possible to speak the language, have a good working knowledge of the culture and still eat western food?

Thanks for your post of sanity, Karen. Change my dietary customs to please local Thais or strengthen their economy? Hello?

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, so miracle of all miracles occurred today and it's open. I went by and not everything is on the shelves but most is, and clerks are filling the shelves at a frantic pace. It is not as big as the Villa in Chalong, and they didn't have smoked chicken (one of the few items that I buy at Villa). However they do have fresh Indian food (Rogan Josh, Chicken Korma, etc.) that they'll serve up for you to take away, just like the Suk 33 branch in Bangkok. Lots of people there today - I'll definitely be back.