Migration To Oz - Loopholes

Apologies if the Oz emigration topic is a bit deja vu!! :D

Ive been toying with the idea since I lived there on a WHV a few years back.

problem is, on any migration agent online assessments, I usually fall short of points required for application through my skills (I dont have a degree or trade). the Oz immigration website (immi.gov.au) gives out the same vibe.

I spoke to a guy I know recently who is in the process of emigrating (skills) who was under the impression I could still have a case through loopholes - bearing in mind decent employment record, some cash behind me etc.

before I download all the immi.gov.au booklets does anyone know if its worth pursuing? :o

heres a little personal profile to help any advisors :D :

-male

-single, never married

-no dependants

-no convictions, clean record

-Oz working holiday visa granted in 2003. successfully completed, no Oz convictions, clean record

-in employment with UK government dept for 8 continuous years since high school, bar 1 year travelling. the travelling year still classed as an employee, no P45.

-never claimed jobseekers allowance or any form of benefit

-homeowner

-equity & savings at present approx £20k (approx $50k Au)

-no relatives in Oz

Any help appreciated :D

There is a reason it is called 'Skilled Migration". From the perspective of the Australian government, any skills will do, so long as they are in demand. That is why a plumber these days stands more of a chance than a accountant in getting to OZ.

The only potential loophole, iof you want to call it that which I can see is if you get a NZ working holiday visa, which are for 2 years now I believe, and go work there an build up experience, which in NZ does count toward their skilled migration programme. Work in an area which is in demand, and then migrate there under their skilled points system. Get a Kiwi passport, and then you'll be able to move to OZ with no restrictions.

It is not a short term plan, but if you want OZ bad enough, then you'll be able to make it work.

There is a reason it is called 'Skilled Migration". From the perspective of the Australian government, any skills will do, so long as they are in demand. That is why a plumber these days stands more of a chance than a accountant in getting to OZ.

The only potential loophole, iof you want to call it that which I can see is if you get a NZ working holiday visa, which are for 2 years now I believe, and go work there an build up experience, which in NZ does count toward their skilled migration programme. Work in an area which is in demand, and then migrate there under their skilled points system. Get a Kiwi passport, and then you'll be able to move to OZ with no restrictions.

It is not a short term plan, but if you want OZ bad enough, then you'll be able to make it work.

I agree with Samran's idea. Although you seemingly have a strong case, Australia is extremely hard to get in to, especially if you have no uni background or wanted skills. Yes you have UK20K in the bank, but that's still not enough. The deal is if you have a minimum AUD$100,000 to invest in Australia you can virtually walk in.

I would start with Samran's plan. Get into NZ, then from there you can plan your route accross. NZ is a nice place too. You may meet your wife and from there your set!

Having said that, you could just go for it! I don't know how a refusal will affect future applications though, even with NZ. NZ and Australia seem to be getting closer and closer these days.

Don't know if you like hairdressing but that's one of the most wanted skills in OZ at the mo.

There is also the option of studying in australia for 2 years then applying for PR.

If you get your degree in australia (min 2 years needed, but most courses are 3 years anyway), in an area which is in demand, then the work experience criteria for the skilled migrant test is waived.

If this interests you, look at what is needed at aquiring PR via this route!

You could use your house equity to pay the international school fees too, and work full time during holidays and part time in OZ to cover your living expenses.

Thanks for replies so far. :D even if they arent too promising :D.

its ironic the difficulties faced trying to live in a country that once upon a time was a convict dumping ground!! :D

Ive always been under the impression that if you want something bad enough you can get it so theres hope yet imo. :o:D

The NZ thing is something I thought about but tbh Id like to avoid that complex migration route. its a risk I dont know if I could take, upping sticks and emigrating to a country ive never been to before and, besides, Im sure NZ is a great country but its Oz that had it for me.

The student idea is another that crossed my mind but id have to be committed, its a big gamble imo. that option would result in sacrificing everything to become a skint student half way round the world!!! :D

I was considering a change in career at the moment anyway. the obvious option in my part of the world is offshore oil+gas. it would be a case of starting at the bottom and working up. would this change benefit migration chances at all? or would it be more beneficial having 8 continuous years with 1 employer on a migration application?

any more replies welcome.

PS if need be any sneaky loopholes can be PM'd to me!!! :D

its ironic the difficulties faced trying to live in a country that once upon a time was a convict dumping ground!! :o

After this comment..we dont want you...

:D:D

I say sucked in to the Brits. Send the convicts to the shity Island in the south......now there all screaming to get in! hehehehe. :D

Don't blame you for wanting to come to Oz Game4shame, I spent 2 years in England a couple of years back and I can swear I will never return. What a dump!

Sorry if iv'e offended any brits here.....dont take it personally. :D

QUOTE(game4shame @ 2006-03-26 05:09:37)

its ironic the difficulties faced trying to live in a country that once upon a time was a convict dumping ground!!

After this comment..we dont want you...

no harm intended :o

I can't believe nobody has suggested this one: marry an Australian!

you could count the amount of ozzies in my hometown on one hand!! could always do an internet marriage - that would give betty TV some bait!!! :D

an MP that was in the restaurant where I was playing last week said that the two industries with the most vacancies for migrants to apply for are mining and nursing...

dont think there's any mines in my neck of the woods. dont have the legs for a nurse uniform. :D

I spent 2 years in England a couple of years back and I can swear I will never return. What a dump!
Great idea...there are loads of Aussies in London

im from Scotland mate. :D

thanks for replies. any more welcome. :D

I remember when I was leaving Australia on completion of my WHV I was discussing migraton with the (greek) taxi driver. The guy was in his fifties and had been in Oz for decades. He was moaning about the migration system, found it unfair. In his eyes a country of Oz's geographical size needs more tax-payers for the up-keep but the migration system is so tough. I agreed. A land say 20 times the size of UK (?) with approx quarter of the population.

I suppose they have to draw a line somewhere but when I think about it, westernised high school education, strong employment record, good credit history and a few £k counts for very little in this scenario!!

id make every effort to avoid being a burden/state sponger.......trying to convince immigration is the problem. :D

:D

There is also the option of studying in australia for 2 years then applying for PR.

If you get your degree in australia (min 2 years needed, but most courses are 3 years anyway), in an area which is in demand, then the work experience criteria for the skilled migrant test is waived.

If this interests you, look at what is needed at aquiring PR via this route!

You could use your house equity to pay the international school fees too, and work full time during holidays and part time in OZ to cover your living expenses.

you dont need to have a degree though, i think you can study something like cookery or hairdressing and still apply

There's many men in Australia who are nurses, and they wear trousers and a top... sorry, no sporrans allowed. Child care and teaching are also in demand, particularly for men, and yes, there are a number of men in both of these occupations as well.

There's many men in Australia who are nurses, and they wear trousers and a top... sorry, no sporrans allowed. Child care and teaching are also in demand, particularly for men, and yes, there are a number of men in both of these occupations as well.

no need to get all politically correct on me :D

this

dont have the legs for a nurse uniform
was my attempt at humour :D

believe it or not, the UK has male nurses, carers and teachers too. :o

It isn't politically correct. It's the truth. There seems to be a lot of people out there who choose to conveniently ignore it and see what they want to see.

skylar, honestly, chill. :D

I dont know if our tastes in humour have crossed somewhere - maybe you think sarcasm is a tactless trait or you're having a bad day at the office, but you're being so defensive over a trivial gag!! :o