Anyone Know What Happened To The Tourist Who Died On Koh Tao May 20?

I heard it was a diving accident, but no details have emerged online or in print, and I expect the incident will be down-played. In fact, it should be cause for improvement to both the safety standards, or lack thereof, of a number of dive operations, and to shed some light on the woeful lack of good emergency care here. 500,000 people come here every year, many to learn to dive, and the clinics are not up to the task. That woman may well be alive now if that weren't the case.

Anyway, post what you know below, thanks.

We are not allowed to bash you because you are a Newbie.But you are saying standard are not good if so please provide information what is lacking. I assume you are not associated with a dive shop.

• Like 1

Interesting not heard this.

Clinics not up to task?

Tao has two full time DMO (diving medical officers) that I'm aware of and at least 6 in date DMT's.

Most operators have full o2, trained staff, and med kits, one diving agency at least on the island, does regular spot checks to ensure this.

Unfortunately due to the remote location, clinics do not have a full ambulatory environment and a chamber does not exist, although in the event of AGE/CAGE or near drowning they are not to be used remotely anyhow, before patient is stabilised.

Things there are far from perfect I agree, but compared to the past years they have improved greatly.

As for the 500,000 where did this figure come from ?

• Like 1

Interesting not heard this.

Clinics not up to task?

Tao has two full time DMO (diving medical officers) that I'm aware of and at least 6 in date DMT's.

Most operators have full o2, trained staff, and med kits, one diving agency at least on the island, does regular spot checks to ensure this.

Unfortunately due to the remote location, clinics do not have a full ambulatory environment and a chamber does not exist, although in the event of AGE/CAGE or near drowning they are not to be used remotely anyhow, before patient is stabilised.

Things there are far from perfect I agree, but compared to the past years they have improved greatly.

As for the 500,000 where did this figure come from ?

There is a chamber on Samui and we are treating people from all three islands on a regular basis.

The chamber is located in Bangrak.

Yup aware of that, worked for them full time from 99-2005 smile.png OP I assumed was referring to Koh Tao with regards to clinics etc.

Edited by stiggy

We are not allowed to bash you because you are a Newbie.But you are saying standard are not good if so please provide information what is lacking. I assume you are not associated with a dive shop.

clap2.gif

The thread is based on a hearsay only, is derailed between irony and trolling so, until we don't get some proved news, as newspaper or agency, the thread is closed. Free to PM me or other moderators if you have more news