Average/standard Pay Package And Hours For University Instructor

Could anyone inform me what sort of pay I might expect and the hours (teaching/office).

BA top US university

Roughly 1+ years experience TEFL 10+ years ago

Does 25k for 20 hours (15 teaching, 5 office) sound about right?

What might I expect in pay the first year?

What sort of opportunities for better pay and jobs exist after the first year?

I presume one is hired and fired at will. Ten month contract, no benefits and I must pay taxes out of pocket.

Thank you

Thanks for your response.

"If I look hard enough" - sort of indicates to me this is the reality, confirmed by numerous job posts I have browsed.

So, perhaps ask for 35k and try to get 30 in the total package?

This is also for 20hrs, not like working full day at a Primary or Secondary.

I think first year its better to work than mess about looking for work. My hunch is that jobs will be far easier after regaining my experience.

Edited by bangkokburning

In my opinion, 35k would be to total bottom of the barrel. I would not even look at an offer lower than that considering the market here. Even that, I would not consider personally. You are not getting benefits either? I did now know that about the unis. That 20 hours a week is going to be deceptively in their favor; I teach 15 hours a week, and am full time. I guarantee you will be there a lot. May as well be full time. It is like a ploy almost to get a full time teacher, yet under the "part time" pay schedule and benefits. You don't get the paid vacation either, which is like the whole reason to get a job in Thailand because it is strong. Just forget this one, believe me.

They may also try and say some total bs like "when you work here, you can get work as a tutor". That is actually true, but it is not a reason to pay low. I just don't agree with that logic, but that is another topic.

As the base good job here, with low teacher turnover and some semblance of quid pro quo, I'd say look for a 12 month contract probably at the high school or little ones level (if you can handle those little buggers). Health should be there. A LOT of paid vacation should be in there, about 2 months out of the year in total. Salary I'd consider would be 50 up to 100k. If you are just starting you may need some leverage and Thai experience, so you may have to take a 35k job, but use all your time looking elsewhere. You can even "turn things around" with an agency and let them hire you and do what I say (ie make it your priority to find a good position while working). That is advice from a person with a good job, and not some muff diver. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Edited by utalkin2me

Surely universities are not paying 35k for 15hours? That is the salary with benefits for grade schools no?

If 35k for 40+ hours at grade school, 20k for half that time at a university seems about right. Arguably better per hour.

I wish a university teacher would chime in here.

I need experience. After a year, I will be in a far better position.

Id also do a TEFL but they are so expensive and seems to be no ROI. I mean its a huge expense that properly amortized over two years is still a serious amount of money off the top on a monthly basis.

Edited by bangkokburning

Sorry, this is related to central Bangkok only.

So thirties for the bottom end, can I presume that is for a person with a university degree and two yeats minimum experience? I would imagine Ed degree much less important, even a negative. Solid Liberal.Arts more so (Eng,Lit and History)?

Thsnks again.

Because foreign lecturers can't be employed as civil servants (for govt unis), they have their own pay scale - and it's generally quite. Low. many moons ago I was offered work at mahidol (28K + 8K housing); no more than 9 hours teaching a week + edit a few abstracts + extra money could be earned teaching in other departments. Most of the staff there were getting at least 50K a month. The hours were OK - 9am - 3pm per day. However there was only 2 weeks paid vacation a year and you had to be at the office everyday even during student vacations. All universities are different here regarding their conditions, but generally the base salary is not that great. I'd like to know what universities are paying a base of 50/60K here. I have a PhD and I don't work in a university - more money teaching kids here:) But money isn't my only motivation.

• Like 2

Had a friend that used to teach at Rajaphat about 7 years ago...

I remember him mentioning that starting salary was 25k per month + 3 or 4 k per month for housing allowance. But that also included 12 month contract with all the paid holidays...

On the other end of the spectrum, knew a part time instructor who used to work at Mahidol about 6 years ago that was paid 1k per hour

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I have a friend in China. Teaches in a very elite private school. He's good, speaks French and Mandarin fluently. Been teaching 12yrs and making us2.5k per month. That only 75k pm and he has his pick of employers in China.

So, I am back to looking at about 25k for the universities and if I am lucky, 35k for high school. I'd be quite ok.with 45k with good working conditions, even of it takes a bit of time to get there (few yrs).

Is housing allowance provided often or thing of the past? Is housing taxed the same as wages? Presume the Thai tax code is simple and answer is yes.

Should I be concerned about materials on hand or a free and very functional copier at hand.

Finally, there is a largish hs I'd definately like to drop a resume by as it's so close to our apt. I've seen what appear to be farang teachers nearby (two different petsons, not at same time). Do many hs employ more than one foreign teacher in Bangkok? Do sny have anyghing approaching a "department" of locals, NES and pethaps a few Filipino's?

Thanks again.

Edited by bangkokburning

I have a friend in China. Teaches in a very elite private school. He's good, speaks French and Mandarin fluently. Been teaching 12yrs and making us2.5k per month. That only 75k pm and he has his pick of employers in China.

So, I am back to looking at about 25k for the universities and if I am lucky, 35k for high school. I'd be quite ok.with 45k with good working conditions, even of it takes a bit of time to get there (few yrs).

Is housing allowance provided often or thing of the past? Is housing taxed the same as wages? Presume the Thai tax code is simple and answer is yes.

Should I be concerned about materials on hand or a free and very functional copier at hand.

Finally, there is a largish hs I'd definately like to drop a resume by as it's so close to our apt. I've seen what appear to be farang teachers nearby (two different petsons, not at same time). Do many hs employ more than one foreign teacher in Bangkok? Do sny have anyghing approaching a "department" of locals, NES and pethaps a few Filipino's?

Thanks again.

Housing will be taxed now... this is a brand new thing. Your taxes will be next to nothing though at 25k, since 150k + the exemptions are tax free. But is this a good thing?

You are always going to have trouble with materials, no matter where you go. It is always so awkward. Copy machines have problems, and color printers are almost non-existent. They just don't like to front the costs of running a business, plain and simple. I have said to myself on many occasions, if a That tells me to "take it out and shake it" one more time, heads will roll (haven't followed through, yet). Your mileage may vary, but you will have problems.

Edited by utalkin2me

Thanks, that is so funny because that brought me back to the school in Korea immediately ☺

I think 20k for twenty hours at university and 35k for full day (plus health, holidays...) is about the minimum I will accept.

I'd really like to do a TEFL but cannot financially justify it. Courses here are way overpriced - no diffetence than the west.

Thanks.

Edited by bangkokburning

Thanks, that is so funny because that brought me back to the school in Korea immediately ☺

I think 20k for twenty hours at university and 35k for full day (plus health, holidays...) is about the minimum I will accept.

I'd really like to do a TEFL but cannot financially justify it. Courses here are way overpriced - no diffetence than the west.

Thanks.

Also note that quite a number of universities require Masters/PhD's (in linguistics or something similar), especially if the university wants someone to teach graduate students - that was the case with Mahidol, anyway.