New Kitchen Installations

pattayapip

Hi, Am now in the Market for a Completely new Kitchen Installation (New Build), European Type including Oven, Hob and Extractor

"L" Shape roughly 4 Meters each side including Wall Units, with a small independent breakfast Bar on an adjacent wall.

Pattaya Area (Near Phoenix Golf Course)

Has anyone got details of Decent Kitchen Manufacturers recently used ?

My Last Home I had "Limed Oak" type units from a Shop on Threppasit Road (Down the bottom near Thrappraya)

But I do not think they are in Business anymore.

Will want Granite Surfaces with this also.

Any help, Suggestions appreciated

Cheers

Something like attached Picturepost-14647-0-50613300-1369202464_thumb.j

my 4m x4m kitchen was designed and built by a Thai kitchen studio in ThongLo. they were very professional and took care all details on equipment installation ( even not buy from them ), good build quality even after 5 years robust use. their make-to-measure build is far more flexibility than imported kitchen system.

they do project in Pattaya as well. PM me if you need contact information.

Have you considered PVC cabinets? IMHO, it will give more sleek, modern look of your kitchen and will go well with your granite countertops. Plus, they are more resistant to humidity and fire. Also, it might be a good idea running them all the way up to the ceiling - they won't collect dust on the top ;)

The cabinets on your picture look like they were borrowed from my grandma's kitchen clap2.gif

Your term "decent' is too vague for a rational answer. Sitting cross-legged on the floor with a chopping block is decent for Khun Yais, whereas 110% stainless steel is decent for a professional chef.

Somewhere in the middle are the rest of us... the real question is: what is your budget? Ikea's range of cabinetry, hoods & hobs/cooktops is wide enough for most laypersons to find something they can afford and consider decent.

Edited by bbradsby

Have you considered PVC cabinets? IMHO, it will give more sleek, modern look of your kitchen and will go well with your granite countertops. Plus, they are more resistant to humidity and fire. Also, it might be a good idea running them all the way up to the ceiling - they won't collect dust on the top wink.png

The cabinets on your picture look like they were borrowed from my grandma's kitchen clap2.gif

Your Grandma has a nice Kitchen obviously biggrin.png No worries each to their own wink.png

Not considered PVC Cabinets although now you mention them I may just have a look

Have you considered PVC cabinets? IMHO, it will give more sleek, modern look of your kitchen and will go well with your granite countertops. Plus, they are more resistant to humidity and fire. Also, it might be a good idea running them all the way up to the ceiling - they won't collect dust on the top wink.png

Your Grandma has a nice Kitchen obviously biggrin.png No worries each to their own wink.png

Not considered PVC Cabinets although now you mention them I may just have a look

Funny u should say that... I offered to do a nice kitchen for Khun Yai, but wifey said she'd not even use it if I built it, so dont waste the money. I thought this was heartless, but sure enough, when Yai visited us in the States, she ignored the nice counters and prepped her great cooking ... cross-legged on the floor!

That taught me a lesson about design-as-fashiou versus design-for function. Standing and prepping food is hard on your legs, so the Yais have the better solution, and the farangs are mostly caught up in fashion.... let's see, should we go with black glass or stainless for the fridge front, honey?

Your term "decent' is too vague for a rational answer. Sitting cross-legged on the floor with a chopping block is decent for Khun Yais, whereas 110% stainless steel is decent for a professional chef.

Somewhere in the middle are the rest of us... the real question is: what is your budget? Ikea's range of cabinetry, hoods & hobs/cooktops is wide enough for most laypersons to find something they can afford and consider decent.

Had not thought of Ikea either, but have been looking at their website and as you say have many different ranges and options, will give this some thought and may even drive to Bangkok for a look, but to be honest am tending to lean towards some company that will help with design and actually make (or Fit) the complete kitchen for me with as little input as possible, as I am away at work most of the time.

Budget, Hmmm had not actually given this much thought either, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I paid for the last kitchen, but if I found what I liked would be prepared to spend a few hundred thousand. Have been "Googling" this afternoon, and found a few shops on Threppasit Road, so guess the first thing to do would be to visit them and start getting an idea of exactly what I like and the costs involved.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions

Had not thought of Ikea either, but have been looking at their website and as you say have many different ranges and options, will give this some thought and may even drive to Bangkok for a look, but to be honest am tending to lean towards some company that will help with design and actually make (or Fit) the complete kitchen for me with as little input as possible, as I am away at work most of the time.

Budget, Hmmm had not actually given this much thought either, and I cannot for the life of me remember what I paid for the last kitchen, but if I found what I liked would be prepared to spend a few hundred thousand. Have been "Googling" this afternoon, and found a few shops on Threppasit Road, so guess the first thing to do would be to visit them and start getting an idea of exactly what I like and the costs involved.

Well at least if you do to Ikea you can have a few horse meatballs whlie your therecheesy.gif

On a serious note, I will be remodelling our kitchen when I do an extension later this year and will be facing the same problems, my wife loved the kitchens in Australia and wants a similar one in the house here with the oven, bench tops etc.

Hi Pattayapip -

I have been designing rooms in my house, one by one - and I think I'll be settling on Kitzcho 'jigsaw' units for my kitchen. I would recommend you go and have a look at them for yourself, before you commit.

A decent free kitchen / bathroom designer is available at nkba.org - install the planner, and you can set the room size and layouts quite easily, with doors and windows / ceilings - 2d + 3d and save the design for 6 Months - print out, etc. The sizes are all in feet / inches, as it's American, but I found it very useful for getting a general idea, and giving designers an idea of what I want - choose and drop the cupboards / fittings in from their database - very comprehensive.

I don' t want the breezeblock cupboards with the doors fitted - I want a nice, quality fully fitted job that will last, and I'll be happy with for years.

I've looked at just about every type of fitting available here, including Ikea and Scb design square, and Kitzcho have struck me as being the best quality, in a traditional vein - all solid wood, and all exact build / finishing, as opposed to wonky doors, and using compressed paperboard for backings and inside / under sink cabinets, at ridiculous prices. All these modern kitchens look awful to me - underneath and behind those expensive veneers / doors is usually crap. Have a look for yourself - they're all usually on show, and have designers in most large DIY places / builders merchants - Homepro, Homemart, etc.

Popped into Thai Wadsadu, and after giving her an idea of what I want, a nice girl there has done me around 5 layouts, and sent them to me by email - from 150,000 upto 210,000 just for cabinets (My kitchen is 5x4 meters, with 2 huge windows). Think I'll be settling on around 180,000 - because I don't want the fridge and washer / dryer built in - looks a bit cheezy, and restricting to me, should I want to move stuff around, or replace later.. To have the kitchen professionally fitted (including tiling (walls and floors), electrical outlets / lighting, granite tops / plumbing / gas work) - infact, you just give them the bare room - their guy's want around 7,000 baht per meter - around about 50 - 60 grand - I think I'll do it myself, but mind you, after looking at many examples of their workmanship - I must say, it was surprisingly pretty spot on. They said it would take a minimum of 2 weeks to install everything - not a few days, as I thought.

I would suggest you specifically ask for your counter tops to be around 90 cm - as the Thai standard is 85 cm, and a bit too short for a Westerner. you might need the floor prepared for this. Average height for wall cabinets is 60 cm above countertops. Your layout looks to be around 120-130 grand, tops, without granite.

Oven / hob / hood / wave are all extra - I think I'll be going for smeg, as it seems like very good quality (will wait for a special offer, although the salesgirl said she'd be happy to give a good discount if I buy a complete set in one go). The units are all standard sizes and compatible with most accessory brands. I have seen half price offers for sets - around 25,000 for the lot, at certain times.

I did a design with a bar, and an island, and in the end, they make the space too cluttered for me - I prefer a nice, open space to work in, with all surfaces on one level - and as my kitchen is open plan into a 5x4 meter dining room, I think it would be too much, with a nice big table in there to sit at. I love nice, open rooms, big and not too busy.

Eventually I'll be having an outside area for bbq, etc - practical or not, I love the idea of having my own interpretation of a beautiful house for myself to live in, and I don't pretty much give a flying fart what anyone else says. I grew up in a very large family, and although I'm quite happy and used to sitting on the floor, it's not going to stop me buying a nice sofa for me or my guests to sit on, should we choose.

Do what makes you happy and gives you pleasure while you can mate, and the best of luck to you. Have a good look before you wedge out.

• Like 2

Just to throw out the idea: I bought unfinished cabinets from Global (sorry forget the brand) and stained to my color. I had a local labor guy do the cement to my specification and very happy with the result. The below the countertop cabinets takes some planning but the above just hang where you want (well, I guess that takes some planning also). I used cement/concrete counter stands with granite tops and we like the result.

(edit) I also put in an oven enclosure I made out of PB and then tiled - the oven is countertop high and with storage space above. Works out great.

Edited by bankruatsteve
  • Like 1

Will there be an outside Thai Kitchen component to this? If so, you might want to consider putting your oven outside. I did and am soooo glad I did! The newer ovens vent hot air right back into where ever you have it installed. Even if you are running AC, you will be running a lot more of it when you use your oven if it is inside. Food for thought. By the way....if I were you I would steer waaay clear of Hafele appliances....designed in Germany and made into sh*t in China. PP

• Like 1

Hi Pattayapip -

I have been designing rooms in my house, one by one - and I think I'll be settling on Kitzcho 'jigsaw' units for my kitchen. I would recommend you go and have a look at them for yourself, before you commit.

A decent free kitchen / bathroom designer is available at nkba.org - install the planner, and you can set the room size and layouts quite easily, with doors and windows / ceilings - 2d + 3d and save the design for 6 Months - print out, etc. The sizes are all in feet / inches, as it's American, but I found it very useful for getting a general idea, and giving designers an idea of what I want - choose and drop the cupboards / fittings in from their database - very comprehensive.

I don' t want the breezeblock cupboards with the doors fitted - I want a nice, quality fully fitted job that will last, and I'll be happy with for years.

I've looked at just about every type of fitting available here, including Ikea and Scb design square, and Kitzcho have struck me as being the best quality, in a traditional vein - all solid wood, and all exact build / finishing, as opposed to wonky doors, and using compressed paperboard for backings and inside / under sink cabinets, at ridiculous prices. All these modern kitchens look awful to me - underneath and behind those expensive veneers / doors is usually crap. Have a look for yourself - they're all usually on show, and have designers in most large DIY places / builders merchants - Homepro, Homemart, etc.

Popped into Thai Wadsadu, and after giving her an idea of what I want, a nice girl there has done me around 5 layouts, and sent them to me by email - from 150,000 upto 210,000 just for cabinets (My kitchen is 5x4 meters, with 2 huge windows). Think I'll be settling on around 180,000 - because I don't want the fridge and washer / dryer built in - looks a bit cheezy, and restricting to me, should I want to move stuff around, or replace later.. To have the kitchen professionally fitted (including tiling (walls and floors), electrical outlets / lighting, granite tops / plumbing / gas work) - infact, you just give them the bare room - their guy's want around 7,000 baht per meter - around about 50 - 60 grand - I think I'll do it myself, but mind you, after looking at many examples of their workmanship - I must say, it was surprisingly pretty spot on. They said it would take a minimum of 2 weeks to install everything - not a few days, as I thought.

I would suggest you specifically ask for your counter tops to be around 90 cm - as the Thai standard is 85 cm, and a bit too short for a Westerner. you might need the floor prepared for this. Average height for wall cabinets is 60 cm above countertops. Your layout looks to be around 120-130 grand, tops, without granite.

Oven / hob / hood / wave are all extra - I think I'll be going for smeg, as it seems like very good quality (will wait for a special offer, although the salesgirl said she'd be happy to give a good discount if I buy a complete set in one go). The units are all standard sizes and compatible with most accessory brands. I have seen half price offers for sets - around 25,000 for the lot, at certain times.

I did a design with a bar, and an island, and in the end, they make the space too cluttered for me - I prefer a nice, open space to work in, with all surfaces on one level - and as my kitchen is open plan into a 5x4 meter dining room, I think it would be too much, with a nice big table in there to sit at. I love nice, open rooms, big and not too busy.

Eventually I'll be having an outside area for bbq, etc - practical or not, I love the idea of having my own interpretation of a beautiful house for myself to live in, and I don't pretty much give a flying fart what anyone else says. I grew up in a very large family, and although I'm quite happy and used to sitting on the floor, it's not going to stop me buying a nice sofa for me or my guests to sit on, should we choose.

Do what makes you happy and gives you pleasure while you can mate, and the best of luck to you. Have a good look before you wedge out.

All very good advice and Information, Many Thanks Really Appreciated

Will there be an outside Thai Kitchen component to this? If so, you might want to consider putting your oven outside. I did and am soooo glad I did! The newer ovens vent hot air right back into where ever you have it installed. Even if you are running AC, you will be running a lot more of it when you use your oven if it is inside. Food for thought. By the way....if I were you I would steer waaay clear of Hafele appliances....designed in Germany and made into sh*t in China. PP

No Outside Kitchen, Misses does not cook the stinky Stuff ! smile.png

Oven will not get used that Much, the Occasional Roast Lamb and Potatoes and can close the Door and open another to the outside, Plus extractors vent to outside also, but good Idea thanks smile.png

Two things I noticed re the photo above.

1 - Not much (any?) front lip on the counter-top.

2 - No 'toe kick' (makes working at the counter much more comfortable. On second look, the cabinets seem to have a molding around the base, which compounds the problem.

2 - No 'toe kick' (makes working at the counter much more comfortable. On second look, the cabinets seem to have a molding around the base, which compounds the problem.

Small Lip and its not a problem, sure a bigger one may be better, but either way not a problem

Understand your Toe Kick, you must have big feet !!!! As again its not a problem

Small Lip and its not a problem, sure a bigger one may be better, but either way not a problem

Understand your Toe Kick, you must have big feet !!!! As again its not a problem

Just trying to help .. and my feet are quite normal.

• Like 1

Just trying to help .. and my feet are quite normal.

Sorry Klikster, All Tongue in Cheek, No Offense meant and appreciate your Input

Cheers

We have previously had kitchens installed by both Modernform (Thai) and SB Furniture's 'Cusine' range (Thai), and several years in 3 houses and are still looking and working great.

For our latest house we used Kvik (Denmark) though, based on a few unique design features they have, decent prices (about 25% cheaper than Modernform for a comparable finish) and excellent warranty. Note that Kvik sell their custom kitchens fully installed, as prebuilt DIY, and as flat-pack DIY (as priced on their website), but lead times are around 75-90 days as the whole lot is imported.

Others we have looked at each time but dismissed were Starmark (Thai/value for money issues) and Index (Thai/suspect quality).

Edited by IMHO