Siblings Burned To Death After Electricity Was Cut Off: Phisanulok

webfact

I wonder if she was not elegible for the free electricity plan. the one when you use little you dont pay, 441 baht is quite a lot for a small wood house, but considering she had 2 kids...

Thailand Electricity is just too expensive compared to the salaries... if she earned 4500 baht a month, then her electricity was 10% of her salary. That's absurd! a rip-off..

The government should review the electricity prices, make it logarithmic scale, like other countries do, the less you use the less you pay, the more you use the more expensive it becomes. Also why not take advantage of Sunny and Windy Thailand to generate free electricity, I think this Gas and Electricity mafia is to blame...

Rip to the innocents children who died in a horrific way... I hope this never happen again

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disgusted with the electric company. They also do not consider that maybe in some houses people might be on vital medical equipment. Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

This is so tragic and a so very unnecessary loss of such young innocent childrens' lives, the electric companies should be held responsible and significant damages awarded to the hard working mother.

One of my bones of contention here in Thailand (no I do not want to go home as overall I love it here!!) and it HAS to be changed by Government forcing the responsibility and issue onto the Electric companies.

Why not follow the well tried and tested system in the UK where you never get cut off without a follow up RED reminder bill which gives you a specific number of days left to pay with a final cut of date and even time if still unpaid. Yes I too have been cut off (despite NEVER being a bad paying customer in the past) when I had not even received the main bill so a easy and sensible final reminder would solve that commonly occurring problem too and avoid the dangers and gross inconvenience of being cut off. I have had this here where they moved my bill date several days earlier in the month and I was unwell at home and my wife busy at our Laundry business. SO the bill had been simply forgotten. We were cut off with absolutely NO notice (in fact I thought it was an area power outage for the first hour or two), not even a ring of the bell as there was somebody at home who would have paid the outstanding overlooked bill, and it then took many hours and much inconvenience to get reconnected again. This would NEVER have happened if they had sent us a second reminder RED coloured bill with a definitive cut off date and even rang the door bell before physically disconnecting too. I have some marine fish which were also getting into difficulty after such a long unnecessary power outage.

This has to be changed, no not just not suit me but to suit and give a better safer system to ALL Thai people and businesses too. Not rocket science just basic intelligence and common sense to send reminder red bills out with a final pay by or cut off date

It also does not help when if you are day late on the initial bill that you cannot easily pay at places like 7/11 or internet banking but instead have the difficult task (if you have a busy work schedule) of inefficiently going to the electric company offices and queueing for ridiculous lengths of time, what a waste of time and resources !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh another issue you only have about a week to pay once the bill is delivered to you, so why is it that the Electricity companies expect and get 30 days to pay their suppliers's invoices yet we only get 7. Again should be the same as in the UK and most places where you get 30 days to pay your main initial bill, as well as a 7 day final RED reminder. The same applies fully to water utility bills too of course. Cutting off such essential utilities form folks houses is dangerous and can be life threatening as we have often seen, it is something that should be done only as a very last resort and with the full knowledge of the household affected, that is surely essential in a civilised society. To cover additional costs of chasing and recovering late payments well a small cost based surcharge could be imposed on late payments but please NO unnotified, nearly always unnecessary, and irresponsible utility cut offs like we currently see, that is totally stupid, irresponsible and bloody dangerous too and should be illegal without full householder knowledge and prior warning.

Edited by rayw
  • Like 1

As I understood from Thai news, the mother could not afford the bill, so a warning would probably not have helped.

Basically noone is at fault here. The electric company has to cut the power, otherwise noone in Thailand would pay their bills. The mother has to go to work, otherwise no food on the table, and the kids simply forgot to put out the candle, an honest mistake with tragic consequences!

Disgusted with the electric company. They also do not consider that maybe in some houses people might be on vital medical equipment. Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

This is so tragic and a so very unnecessary loss of such young innocent childrens' lives, the electric companies should be held responsible and significant damages awarded to the hard working mother.

One of my bones of contention here in Thailand (no I do not want to go home as overall I love it here!!) and it HAS to be changed by Government forcing the responsibility and issue onto the Electric companies.

Why not follow the well tried and tested system in the UK where you never get cut off without a follow up RED reminder bill which gives you a specific number of days left to pay with a final cut of date and even time if still unpaid. Yes I too have been cut off (despite NEVER being a bad paying customer in the past) when I had not even received the main bill so a easy and sensible final reminder would solve that commonly occurring problem too and avoid the dangers and gross inconvenience of being cut off. I have had this here where they moved my bill date several days earlier in the month and I was unwell at home and my wife busy at our Laundry business. SO the bill had been simply forgotten. We were cut off with absolutely NO notice (in fact I thought it was an area power outage for the first hour or two), not even a ring of the bell as there was somebody at home who would have paid the outstanding overlooked bill, and it then took many hours and much inconvenience to get reconnected again. This would NEVER have happened if they had sent us a second reminder RED coloured bill with a definitive cut off date and even rang the door bell before physically disconnecting too. I have some marine fish which were also getting into difficulty after such a long unnecessary power outage.

This has to be changed, no not just not suit me but to suit and give a better safer system to ALL Thai people and businesses too. Not rocket science just basic intelligence and common sense to send reminder red bills out with a final pay by or cut off date

It also does not help when if you are day late on the initial bill that you cannot easily pay at places like 7/11 or internet banking but instead have the difficult task (if you have a busy work schedule) of inefficiently going to the electric company offices and queueing for ridiculous lengths of time, what a waste of time and resources !!!!!!!!!!!

Oh another issue you only have about a week to pay once the bill is delivered to you, so why is it that the Electricity companies expect and get 30 days to pay their suppliers's invoices yet we only get 7. Again should be the same as in the UK and most places where you get 30 days to pay your main initial bill, as well as a 7 day final RED reminder. The same applies fully to water utility bills too of course. Cutting off such essential utilities form folks houses is dangerous and can be life threatening as we have often seen, it is something that should be done only as a very last resort and with the full knowledge of the household affected, that is surely essential in a civilised society. To cover additional costs of chasing and recovering late payments well a small cost based surcharge could be imposed on late payments but please NO unnotified, nearly always unnecessary, and irresponsible utility cut offs like we currently see, that is totally stupid, irresponsible and bloody dangerous too and should be illegal without full householder knowledge and prior warning.

All the extra safety systems, reminders etc. may work well, but will also increase the cost of electicity for everyone, including those of of us who are cabable of paying on time! But perhaps it could be an optional service, so those who want/need a bunch of reminders can get it, but have an extra 100 baht added to their bill every month. How many do you think will subscribe to that?

I wonder if she was not elegible for the free electricity plan. the one when you use little you dont pay, 441 baht is quite a lot for a small wood house, but considering she had 2 kids...

Thailand Electricity is just too expensive compared to the salaries... if she earned 4500 baht a month, then her electricity was 10% of her salary. That's absurd! a rip-off..

The government should review the electricity prices, make it logarithmic scale, like other countries do, the less you use the less you pay, the more you use the more expensive it becomes. Also why not take advantage of Sunny and Windy Thailand to generate free electricity, I think this Gas and Electricity mafia is to blame...

Rip to the innocents children who died in a horrific way... I hope this never happen again

Free electricity in Thailand? Tell us more. If it's like a 'free lunch' then it's really 'no cost' to the consumer (but a cost to others). I don't see how size of dwelling determines electricity consumption, assuming no A/C. I always thought electrical devices consumed electricity, not the building's specific construction.

Who are you to determine what is absurd and what is a 'rip-off'? I agree a progressive pricing scale would discourage waste, but does the government have to be involved in everything? I would guess your answer be a resounding 'YES!'. Actually, in the case of a monopolistic utility-supplier, government regulation is a requirement to prevent (actually attempt to minimize) abuse.

Somehow you have the delusion that solar and wind energy are free. Did you ever have to buy or pay for a solar PV array or a wind turbine? I have, and I can testify that, although costs are coming down, they weren't cheap and when you throw in the ancillary equipment necessary for energy storage and conversion (solar), it doesn't get any cheaper.

That's right, let's blame the electricity suppliers and throw in a 'mafia' just for good measure.

As far as hoping that this will never happen again (we all do)... it falls into the category of 'free electricity' IMHO. I don't believe 'hope' is an effective measure against poverty, child neglect or fire prevention.

Edited by MaxYakov

All the extra safety systems, reminders etc. may work well, but will also increase the cost of electricity for everyone, including those of of us who are cabable of paying on time! But perhaps it could be an optional service, so those who want/need a bunch of reminders can get it, but have an extra 100 baht added to their bill every month. How many do you think will subscribe to that?

Not at all as I did say that of course a late payment COST RELATED surcharge would be completely fair and tenable. They do this in most countries with no problem using RED final reminders and so much more sensible. I am also normally an on-time payer but mistakes and oversights can happen and sometimes bills do not even arrive too and thus can easily get unpaid on time. So easy and sensible for a final warning reminder to be sent before taking the intolerable and dangerous path of cutting innocent folk off. Sure the consistent bad payers will eventually lose their account and have to have a pay per use meter instead, as once again they intelligently do in the UK and most other civilised places.

Amazing you say that folk would not be willing to pay a tiny small extra charge for such a reminder service YET there has been little uproar about the rising cost of electricity which has funded the rising profits of the electricity companies rather than giving us a better more reliable service. They make enough money I am sure to be able to set in place a proper civilised and socially friendly final reminder system, and this is said primarily to help far more ordinary Thai folk out than falangs many of whom have bank accounts and direct debit payments generally not available to the majority of ordinary Thai folk. I would hazard a guess that 90% of folk would really prefer such a system once it was introduced and understood, surely that is a no brainer.

At least the Government here should not be so insular and look at how this is done and works well and so much better than here in most other countries like the UK and I think most other western countries too like the USA and most of Europe and Australia. The utility companies here need to be held much more responsible for their careless and badly thought out actions as they are in most countries, AND their profits need to be controlled as after all they are in effect monopolies. Should really all be properly state run of course with a monopoly based industry such as this.

Of course utilities such a Water and Electricity should not be free else think of the wastage that would occur for a start. BUT those main utilities should though be run EFFICIENTLY (if that is possible as it really should be) by the state at cost though and of course allowing for future development costs too. Some industries are right for nationalisation and others best kept private, so we should none of us be polarised into thinking that it should all be either one or the other, as there are benefits to both Private and State run industries depending on the nature of the product and / or service involved.

Edited by rayw

<snip>

Recently I got cut off, never got a bill, was in the house my phone number on the meter. No questions asked no service. Immediately went to pay; it took them 5 hours to re connect. It would make life easier for them and the users if there was a warning service.

Here's a tip:

Make a note of when you should pay your bill - it is printed on the bill.

Then make a note on a calendar, on your phone or on your computer.

Go and pay the bill every month before that date, even if you haven't received a bill.

Not too hard?

its pretty simple to do that except youre asking a thai to do that. if theres 441 baht spare in the house then that will be spent on the internet, phone credit, mama noodles and sticky stuff in a plastic bag long before it gets taken to the 7/11 to pay for the electric.

Sad indeed. But it's the parents and children's fault. Circumstances can change of course... but far too many people who can't afford children have them. If you can't afford to pay your electric bill, you're in that category.

What utter BS! The kids were conceved/born over 9 years ago. Neither of the kids are responsible for what has happened in the last 9 plus years. To blame the kids for their parents inability to keep the marriage together is sheer lunacy.

Nah, not tragic, not sad. What it should be is a warning to Thais to start taking care, being careful and truly caring about their families. It won't be. "Mai pen rai."

Your apparent attitude is beyond callous, it is cruel and contemptible. No matter what grievances and bile you harbour towards Thais your words above are disgusting and vile.

If someone think they are capable of selling something, they should before starting their business think very careful through their plan. Can anybody get hurt, can anybody die because of my business practice ? If they did not think about the consequences before they started the business, they should take the full responsibility of their actions. The electric company killed this two innocent childs.

Absolute BS. The Electric company did not kill these children. What do you recommend, free electricity for everyone? because that is what happens the moment you let one person not pay and have a free service. Will you go to work for no salary? Try thinking clearly before you post rubbish like this, or does the name hint that you are from a socialist country where everyone should be given everything for free? The children died because the mother could not afford to pay the bills as a single parent. They were forced into actions that they were clearly not used to. It was a tragic accident, that's it.

A couple of years back there was free electricity for everyone with a bill under 800bht.

Paid by the king until 2010, it's only recently they started charging the poor.

Poor woman, dreadful thing to happen, poor children dreadful way to die.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I agree that this is a very distressing occurrence but at the end of the day the mother for whatever reason is solely responsible for the deaths of her children.

Electricity bills come out regularly and she would have been aware (should have been aware) that one was due.

Natives of the realm are notorious for pushing the envelope too far, not paying their bills on time, living beyond their means, borrowing on one credit card to pay another when it falls due.

Maybe historically she was always late, maybe she had received warnings in the past.

Are we gonna get into the situation where the supply authority has to change the diapers.

People have responsibilities and if they fail to meet or honour them they cannot move their culpability on to someone else.

If all the do-gooders here could come up with some positive "PREVENTATIVE MEASURES" their time might be better spent.

Having said the foregoing, it grieves me to think of these two children, but at the end of the day I didn't create all the problems here and I sure as he!! am not responsible for fixing them.

another one with no heart,when my wf.was 13 she had 2brothers and a sister to bring up when her mother died,go and see how young kids are looking after their younger bros. and sisters.either you dont live here or you go about with your nose in the air.

In fact probably been here a lot longer than you but duration proves nothing.

However I did say "Having said the foregoing, it grieves me to think of these two children" and nothing I say is going to bring them back.

AND REGARDLESS, nothing you say will bring them back either.

And to close 'in this case the mother is not dead'

p.s. I have visited all provinces from (between) Phuket to Chiang Rai (can you claim to have done the same???

Getting a warning is fair enough but the electricity company can't carry everyone who can't or doesn't pay their bill.

If someone think they are capable of selling something, they should before starting their business think very careful through their plan. Can anybody get hurt, can anybody die because of my business practice ? If they did not think about the consequences before they started the business, they should take the full responsibility of their actions. The electric company killed this two innocent childs.

No they didn't. By that logic GM, Ford, Toyota etc. have killed millions of people. What a stupid post.

• Like 1

Unless they remove the meter, usually it's most simple to reconnect it yourself, just put back the wires in it's place. biggrin.png

well that wouldn't be a dangerous job for a 9yr old and a 13 yr old or their Mother would it. If for one moment some people you knew had been burned alive and someone came on with big laugh smilies with an "eh they shoulda just put the frakking wires back in LMAO' would you be upset? Would you think it appropriate? Perhaps for you the OP would have been better put in the pub humour and jokes forum. I simply despair with some of the comments on here.

No they didn't. By that logic GM, Ford, Toyota etc. have killed millions of people. What a stupid post.

What a stupid reply. You have obviously never been in the west. In the civilized world you have to foresee what your actions will do.

If they cannot, they cannot do this kind of business. They have to find something other to do.

Getting a warning is fair enough but the electricity company can't carry everyone who can't or doesn't pay their bill.

If they cannot, they should be closed down. Selling EL is and should be a big responsibility, even in Thailand and the wild world.

It's a very sad story. You can't blame the electricity company, that's the way it works here and cutting the power sometimes is the only way to make people pay their bill. Can't blame the mother either for sure, 9 and 13 yo are old enough to stay on their own if the mother was working. The kids should have put the candles out before going to sleep, but everyone here is so afraid of the dark and of the ghosts...

Yes you can blame the electric company. The only reason they cut the supply by taking away the connection or meter is to collect the extra 100 or so baht for re-connection.

Survey the people who work in the electric office and see how many of them have had their lines cut, on second thoughts don't bother, I already know the answer.

I have paid mine at 10am on the last day due and at 12.30 I was watching the outside of the house when the guy came. parked his bike at the end of the Soi and walked to the meter, so I wouldn't hear him, when he got to the meter I stuck my head over the wall and said Hi, what's your problem while holding the receipt for him to see.

Received no answer and he just went back to his bike and disappeared.

I agree 100%,it took me around 6 months after moving into my house for the idiot delivering the bill to manage to find the house!My electricity was cut off first on Christmas Eve,then for the next two consecutive months until I told the owner if it happened again I was moving out!

I made the comment to the owner that they know exactly where to come top cut it off but not where to deliver the bill?She told me the cut-off people work for the Electricity Board and the delivery muppets are sub-contracted!

The idiot turned up the next time with his wife and big smiles at my gate,I honestly think they were expecting to get a tip,unbelievable.To top it all off the owner's Father,a Chinese-Thai Doctor had already paid it so it didn't get cut off!Now I just let him pay,collect the receipt and pay it into his bank with the rent money.

These monkeys can deliver a paid bill but not an unpaid one to the house for me to go and pay myself,I've given up now!

Anyway,my problems really do pale into insignificance compared to this Mother who has just lost her two little angels,I hope that one day this poor lady is able to come to terms with what has happened here.They say that God takes the best ones young and turns them into angels.

Amazing how one could create a huge negative outlook against the electric company, the unreliable "monkeys" who can't deliver a bill, and apparently against all Thai people for being idiots.

Let me suggest an alternative.

Since you need electric and the company needs its electric fees, just mark your calendar for the whole year -- every month 2-3 days before the normal due date just write "Pay electric."

It's really not rocket science. The average 8-year-old could do it.

Big life-troubling problem solved.

I agree that this is a very distressing occurrence but at the end of the day the mother for whatever reason is solely responsible for the deaths of her children.

Electricity bills come out regularly and she would have been aware (should have been aware) that one was due.

Natives of the realm are notorious for pushing the envelope too far, not paying their bills on time, living beyond their means, borrowing on one credit card to pay another when it falls due.

Maybe historically she was always late, maybe she had received warnings in the past.

Are we gonna get into the situation where the supply authority has to change the diapers.

People have responsibilities and if they fail to meet or honour them they cannot move their culpability on to someone else.

If all the do-gooders here could come up with some positive "PREVENTATIVE MEASURES" their time might be better spent.

Having said the foregoing, it grieves me to think of these two children, but at the end of the day I didn't create all the problems here and I sure as he!! am not responsible for fixing them.

What a huge load of rubbish.

"Natives of the realm are notorious for pushing the envelope too far, not paying their bills on time, living beyond their means, borrowing on one credit card to pay another when it falls due."

Think about this statement -- would it not equally apply to a sizable number of the natives in many other "realms" in the world?

Edited by BradinAsia
  • Like 1

What a stupid reply. You have obviously never been in the west. In the civilized world you have to foresee what your actions will do.

Don't folks from the civilized world also need a bit of common sense?

If the electric company had to keep the power on for everyone who can't pay their bills, they'd be swamped with non-payers. Then, the company would either go broke or have to triple the cost of electric for all the other folks who could afford to pay.

• Like 1

One part of this that that saddens me is that the neighbours did nothing to intervene in the fire situation. Fire can spread rapidly. Perhaps doing something other than running to inform the mother that the house was burning just might have lead to a different outcome.

It's a very sad story. You can't blame the electricity company, that's the way it works here and cutting the power sometimes is the only way to make people pay their bill. Can't blame the mother either for sure, 9 and 13 yo are old enough to stay on their own if the mother was working. The kids should have put the candles out before going to sleep, but everyone here is so afraid of the dark and of the ghosts...

Yes you can blame the electric company. The only reason they cut the supply by taking away the connection or meter is to collect the extra 100 or so baht for re-connection.

Survey the people who work in the electric office and see how many of them have had their lines cut, on second thoughts don't bother, I already know the answer.

I have paid mine at 10am on the last day due and at 12.30 I was watching the outside of the house when the guy came. parked his bike at the end of the Soi and walked to the meter, so I wouldn't hear him, when he got to the meter I stuck my head over the wall and said Hi, what's your problem while holding the receipt for him to see.

Received no answer and he just went back to his bike and disappeared.

I agree 100%,it took me around 6 months after moving into my house for the idiot delivering the bill to manage to find the house!My electricity was cut off first on Christmas Eve,then for the next two consecutive months until I told the owner if it happened again I was moving out!

I made the comment to the owner that they know exactly where to come top cut it off but not where to deliver the bill?She told me the cut-off people work for the Electricity Board and the delivery muppets are sub-contracted!

The idiot turned up the next time with his wife and big smiles at my gate,I honestly think they were expecting to get a tip,unbelievable.To top it all off the owner's Father,a Chinese-Thai Doctor had already paid it so it didn't get cut off!Now I just let him pay,collect the receipt and pay it into his bank with the rent money.

These monkeys can deliver a paid bill but not an unpaid one to the house for me to go and pay myself,I've given up now!

Anyway,my problems really do pale into insignificance compared to this Mother who has just lost her two little angels,I hope that one day this poor lady is able to come to terms with what has happened here.They say that God takes the best ones young and turns them into angels.

Amazing how one could create a huge negative outlook against the electric company, the unreliable "monkeys" who can't deliver a bill, and apparently against all Thai people for being idiots.

Let me suggest an alternative.

Since you need electric and the company needs its electric fees, just mark your calendar for the whole year -- every month 2-3 days before the normal due date just write "Pay electric."

It's really not rocket science. The average 8-year-old could do it.

Big life-troubling problem solved.

How do you pay a bill that they can't deliver to you,you fool?rolleyes.gif

Can you not read or understand plain English?

• Like 1

Yeah, and there's another one out there somewhere who shares the blame as well whether he knows it or not.

We have no way of knowing that. He could be dead, he could not even know he has kids, he could be unable to find those kids...who knows?

I would have almost certainly found some way to leave my kids with a responsible adult if I went to work at night (as I have done before) - especially if there was no power (and especially if I lived in a wooden house and left them with candles and matches to use). But it is to me unnecessarily harsh to assign blame in such a case when no good comes from it.

surely that sentance is a contender for the best of the year.

"HE COULD NOT EVEN KNOW HE HAS KIDS"

just think about it.

The utility companies in Thailand are very reasonable. you pay by the middle of the next month or they automatically give you an extensionof 14 days which is when i always pay it. You can apply for longer if you have a good track record over the years.

if you dont pay they cut you off. They couldnt pay a lousy 400 baht ? i ask the question...how much did the parents spend on 10 baht soi lottery tickets.gov lotttery ,ya dong and smokes?

The utility companies in Thailand are very reasonable. you pay by the middle of the next month or they automatically give you an extensionof 14 days which is when i always pay it. You can apply for longer if you have a good track record over the years.

if you dont pay they cut you off. They couldnt pay a lousy 400 baht ? i ask the question...how much did the parents spend on 10 baht soi lottery tickets.gov lotttery ,ya dong and smokes?

i ask the question why dont you read the story before you open your mouth,

who is they that couldnt pay a lousy 400bht.?

did the parents spend,what parents?