Non Immigrant Volunteer Visa Over 90 Days

Hello

I was wondering if anyone could help me with advice about a non immigrant category O visa for over 90 days, different embassies have given conflicting advice. Does anyone know if you need to go to Bangkok or whether it is okay to do a border hop in Chiang Rai (this is where I will be based). And does anyone know the documents that are required to do this?

Anyone who has done this before, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

L

The OP writes in the future tense ("where I will be based")

Perhaps we should ask if s/he is thinking of signing up with one of the "for profit" volunteer scams which operate in the North.

A legitimate organisation will secure/provide all the necessary paperwork on his/her behalf.

Edited by jrtmedic

Hello

Yes I have all the required paperwork, one from the school I will be volunteering in and a letter from the charity (non profit) confirming the placement, but I just want to check the advice in regards to the extension of this visa once I am in Chiang Rai as they initial visa is only issued for 90 days and I am going to be there for longer than this. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice out there about how to go about getting this extension...? Hull embassy have said they will only issue a single entry visa, but I think you need a multiple entry visa to get the extension? So is it best to apply to a different embassy?

Again any advice much appreciated!

Thanks

L

A single entry is fine. You'll be able to extend it at an immigration office using your work permit and documents from the place you are working. No need to leave the country.

A multiple entry O would require you to leave the country at 90 days - or extend at an immigration office the same as with a single entry.

May I suggest to the enquirer that she contact a KNOWN charity organisation or Church in or around Chiang Rai.

Probably everything is fine and above board - but it doesn't take long to check if the organisation you are joining IS actually a bona fide and recognised Charity.

As other posters have said - there are a LOT of bogus - good sounding outfits - please be prudent.

And good on you.

A relatively easy test to apply !

The bogus organisations charge large sums of money for food (often poor quality), accommodation(which is very basic) and "support" which of course is unspecified.

Genuine organisations will arrange everything for their volunteers which is why I am amazed that the OP is worrying about his/her visa.

The OP in my opinion should be addressing concerns to the "NGO" which is offering the volunteer experience. The "NGO" should be providing all the information necessary to enable the OP to be secure in the knowledge that he/she will be well cared for and that any work undertaken will be legal.

If the NGO has failed to provide adequate detail about visas and work permits maybe this should be a red flag to the OP.

• Like 1

Thank you for all your information, is someone able to clarify what a work permit looks like? I have a letter from the school and the NGO, but guessing the work permit is something entirely different?

Thanks

L

A work permit looks something like a passport, it is a book from the department of labour stating who you are, where you work, for whom you work and also gives a job description.

It gives a date till when you are allowed to work and you can extend that every time at the labour office.

You are supposed to keep it with you at the place of work incase checks are made and you need it to get a 1 year extension of stay, as only a WP allows you to work/volunteer legally.

Cost is 3,100 baht for 1 year.

It is not difficult to get for a volunteer, have the organisaton talk with labour first if they never have done this before. The labour office can be most helpful.

If you only have a single entry visa you will have to go to a neighboring county like Laos with all the documents from the instistution who will apply for your work permit and visa.It is a whole pack of documents.This will convert your visa to a multuple non o immigrant visa.

Once the work permit has been approved will you have to apply for a 12 month visa.The work permit and visa is two seperate issues altogether.

There is no way to convert single entry visa to multi entry. Going to another country would be to obtain a new visa. Section 2.21 extension of stay at Immigration would require all below for one year extension of stay (not a visa) - without item 7 only 90 day extensions are allowed.

1. Application form
2. Copy of applicant’s passport
3. Copy of work permit
4. Copy of evidence of permission to establish the organization or a copy of the permit to enter into
and operate the organization in the Kingdom issued by the relevant government agency
5. Letter of confirmation and request for a temporary stay issued by the organization
6. List of aliens working in the organization
7. Only in the case of Criterion (3), the applicant must attach a letter of confirmation or request for
a temporary stay issued by the head of a government agency equivalent to or higher than the
departmental level or by the head of a state enterprise or by the head of another government agency
relating to the organization.

Thank you for all your information, is someone able to clarify what a work permit looks like? I have a letter from the school and the NGO, but guessing the work permit is something entirely different?

Thanks

L

workpermit.jpg

The letter from the NGO and school does not permit you to work in Thailand,even when voluntering.That is a whole new process which is done at the local City Hall department.Which NGO organised this for you ?

Would appear to follow a common theme that jrtmedic has pointed out

It's the paid volunteer "scam". You pay them to fob you off to some school or agency where they make money off your labor. Double win for them. They don't care about kifs or you, they care about moneee.

If you are teaching at a real school, someone is making a minimum of 25k thb per month. It should be you.

But hey...think of the children!

PS it sounds like they are loading you up with phiny feel good documentation to give you a fslse sense of security. They learn well!

The only document you need to be legal is a work permit and sorry to tell you, that isn't coming. So you will be working illegally and a mountain of scribbles on the "NGOs" stationary....well, the paperwork and b30 will get you a bowl of noodles.

Edited by bangkokburning