Downside To Owning A Classic Car?

I was too. But the Thai woman told me they do it all the time. Took copies of my passport and 2 photos. I will wait and see. I am never amazed by anything good or bad that gets done at immigration. Worse case scenario I will have to go down and do it myself but since I live a couple of streets away this is not too much of a chore.

Honda would have made me do it myself.

It is indeed nice and tidy. I think if you had taken a test drive I would still be looking. So thanks for that!!!!

I had a fully restored Series 1 XJ6 for a year here. I had a larger AC unit put in and drove it as my daily for a year. I sold it as I was not working, needed the money and wasn't using it. It put a smile on my face every time I took it out. The only downside was that everyone knew where you were so no sneaky visits to places you perhaps should not be going to! Also a big car is harder to park.

After that went I thought my classic car days were over. But I recently split with my gf and let her take the Brio so I needed a new car.This weekend Ford messed me about so I went to Honda and did the deal on a new CRV. I wanted finance only to be told that 2 years of work permits were not enough and that I needed a Thai guarantor. Not wanting any Thai to be involved in this transaction I walked away.

On the way home I stopped for petrol and was staring at an immaculate Mercedes 500SEL in the small Swiss dealer by the petrol station. It is a 1989 in absolutely immaculate condition. It has a recently installed 24 valve vvti straight 6 3 litre Toyota engine (easy and cheap to service and repair as well as being reasonably economical) and gearbox with 225bhp and it is smooth as silk. The interior is almost as good as the exterior with all the electric seats (including the back seats) working. A new CD with USB.

I took it for a test drive and it was straight as a die with a double kickdown that lifted and launched the car. I got back made a very good deal with the Swiss owner and bought it on the spot. They will get my residence cert and transfer the book for me.

The last two days have left me with an aching jaw I have been smiling so much. At the moment there is no downside but the upside is that I am driving something different that is fast smooth and comfortable. No finance payments and all for a fifth of the price of the cheapest 2.0 CRV. Result!!!!

Glad you like the car and I certainly hope it does you well.

That said, there is a big differnce between an '89 and a '57.

• Like 1

For example(s)?

Driving it. Trying to find parts for it. The constant breakdowns. The issue with ethanol laced gasoline destroying the fuel system monotonously Buying tires for it. Finding insurance for it. Parking it. Crash and bash repairs for it. Trying to avoid accidents with it's poor brakes, steering radius and handling. And everything else that doesn't fall under "looking at it" smile.png

the biggest problem is that you can't get any insurance for a classic car except third party liability. i own a 1969 E-Type and tried in vain. parts for classic cars are no problem... if you are willing to shell out big money and there is (and will be for years to come) fuel without ethanol available. but then it is also not a big problem to adjust your system. basically only flexible hoses and gaskets have to be changed.

Top man, Naam!

I'm reluctantly selling my XKR convertible in the UK (right now) after 13 years of ownership from new. I bought its predecessor XK8 because I always wanted an E-type when I was too yung to afford one.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/jaguar/xk/postcode/ls288nx/radius/1/price-from/8000/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/10000

I have thought long and hard about importing it to Thailand as I'll get buttons (probably GBP 9,000 = $15,000 ish) - they are not yet the classics that they will become and people worry about repair costs. 300% import taxes, coupled with the thought of no Jaguar mechanics and my location not being BKK or CM finally put me off.

Could your posting have been its last reprieve I wonder!! Definitely worth a chew over again before I go back to the UK Thursday to close on my house and show/sell the car.

SantiSuk i feel with you! when i sold my home in Germany (years ago) i had to sell two beauties which were with me for many years, both in top condition. the mental burden eased a bit when two old friends bought the cars.

Edited by Naam

For example(s)?

Driving it. Trying to find parts for it. The constant breakdowns. The issue with ethanol laced gasoline destroying the fuel system monotonously Buying tires for it. Finding insurance for it. Parking it. Crash and bash repairs for it. Trying to avoid accidents with it's poor brakes, steering radius and handling. And everything else that doesn't fall under "looking at it" smile.png

the biggest problem is that you can't get any insurance for a classic car except third party liability. i own a 1969 E-Type and tried in vain. parts for classic cars are no problem... if you are willing to shell out big money and there is (and will be for years to come) fuel without ethanol available. but then it is also not a big problem to adjust your system. basically only flexible hoses and gaskets have to be changed.

Top man, Naam!

I'm reluctantly selling my XKR convertible in the UK (right now) after 13 years of ownership from new. I bought its predecessor XK8 because I always wanted an E-type when I was too yung to afford one.

http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/jaguar/xk/postcode/ls288nx/radius/1/price-from/8000/quicksearch/true/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/price-to/10000

I have thought long and hard about importing it to Thailand as I'll get buttons (probably GBP 9,000 = $15,000 ish) - they are not yet the classics that they will become and people worry about repair costs. 300% import taxes, coupled with the thought of no Jaguar mechanics and my location not being BKK or CM finally put me off.

Could your posting have been its last reprieve I wonder!! Definitely worth a chew over again before I go back to the UK Thursday to close on my house and show/sell the car.

Back in '73 my first boss had an e-type Jag, cream/cream. That thing was BFA

I drive an approximately 30 year old car for 'every day transportation' - actually I only use it a couple of times a week. It has been amazingly trouble-free and reliable, however its just a Toyota Corolla, nothing unusual. Even my rather common car can be somewhat challenging for the repairman to find replacement parts due to its age.. the few times it has needed repair it took up to a week to find the parts and have them sent. (things like a new fuel pump or a new rear differential).

Edited by ClareQuilty

I started off owning classic and project cars, was a labour of love while Im mechanically inclined and enjoyed body and restoration work it soon became too time consuming and a hassle getting parts and difficult finding good buyers. Just dont have the time or ethusiasm these days so have reluctantly gravitated towards owning newer cars which are easily serviceble.