Downside To Owning A Classic Car?

I am thinking of buying a classic car. I am looking at a couple of things, one is a 1962 model and the other is 1957. Both have been restored and look fantastic.

Both are supposed to be registered already in Thailand.

I am wondering if there are downsides that are not apparent to the casual observer. How difficult is it to get parts shipped in? What is the tax situation? I live in Chiang Mai and wonder if there is a mechanic who could do worthwhile work.

Are there issues I am not thinking of? For those of you who own a classic, or know of someone who does, what is your advice?

For example(s)?

Driving it. Trying to find parts for it. The constant breakdowns. The issue with ethanol laced gasoline destroying the fuel system monotonously Buying tires for it. Finding insurance for it. Parking it. Crash and bash repairs for it. Trying to avoid accidents with it's poor brakes, steering radius and handling. And everything else that doesn't fall under "looking at it" smile.png

the biggest problem is that you can't get any insurance for a classic car except third party liability. i own a 1969 E-Type and tried in vain. parts for classic cars are no problem... if you are willing to shell out big money and there is (and will be for years to come) fuel without ethanol available. but then it is also not a big problem to adjust your system. basically only flexible hoses and gaskets have to be changed.

You'll be paying 50B a litre for benzene, a 40% extra charge, unless you can convert to one of the gas alternatives.

There is a mechanic in Chiang Mai who specilises in classics. Search the Chiang Mai forum.

First, if the vehicle is registered, you must also pay for insurance, so not sure about that comment ....

I am not "investing" in a car, I am looking to have one to use here.

Yes, if you have to ask the price, sort of thing, you can't afford it. But I am interested in the nuts and bolts of classic car ownership.

Again, why is the insurance thing a problem? It's bundled in the registration.

First, if the vehicle is registered, you must also pay for insurance, so not sure about that comment ....

Yes, if you have to ask the price, sort of thing, you can't afford it. But I am interested in the nuts and bolts of classic car ownership.

As mentioned, you can not get the higher level insurance, specifically 1st class, for cars over 10 years old. The 'bundled' insurance is probably only the government compulsory insurance which is a legal requirement. This is around 645.21 Baht for a sedan.

As mentioned, you can not get the higher level insurance, specifically 1st class, for cars over 10 years old. The 'bundled' insurance is probably only the government compulsory insurance which is a legal requirement. This is around 645.21 Baht for a sedan.

besides the 645 i pay an additional 4,386 Baht for some "upgrade" as far as damage cover is concerned.

post-35218-0-55797900-1369257723_thumb.j

You'll be paying 50B a litre for benzene, a 40% extra charge, unless you can convert to one of the gas alternatives.

There is a mechanic in Chiang Mai who specilises in classics. Search the Chiang Mai forum.

yeah right! converting a classic car worth a fistful million Baht to LPG to make it worthless sick.gif

• Like 2

Naam, I have a 96 Jag and managed to get comprehensive insurance to 80% of the cars insured value. Cannot remember the company but am back Thailand last week june and will advise you then. Insurance is due when I return so will also advise if any changes such as a reduction in the insured percentage.

Get a classic and enjoy it. If looked after and serviced properly will give you a lot of enjoyment and looking after it is most of the fun.

Be nice to know what you are thinking of as I check most sites daily to see whats new.

Naam, I have a 96 Jag and managed to get comprehensive insurance to 80% of the cars insured value. Cannot remember the company but am back Thailand last week june and will advise you then. Insurance is due when I return so will also advise if any changes such as a reduction in the insured percentage.

Get a classic and enjoy it. If looked after and serviced properly will give you a lot of enjoyment and looking after it is most of the fun.

Be nice to know what you are thinking of as I check most sites daily to see whats new.

i will appreciate any advice Topcroc!

Both are supposed to be registered already in Thailand.

Kind of like almost being pregnant. They either are or they are not.

I am thinking of buying a classic car

There are old cars and the there are "classic"cars. There is a world of difference.

Just because something is old doesn't make it a "classic". Take a VW Beetle sure the design might be considered a classic but the old cars are not. OR say an old slant window Ford Anglia I saw the other day. Just because a car was built in '57 and is a Chevrolet doesn't make it a '57 Chevy. My first car was a "57 Vauxhall but I would hardly describe it as a classic whistling.gif

Add to all the former comments in posts, possible lack of AC would be a major downside for me. If one lives on Phuket and only drives to the beach maybe OK? Fuel is not a problem as 95 is back and if mileage is low....

An old Jeep maybe OK or even at a push and old '57 Landrover but again hardly "classic"

Buying as an investment here? You would have to know exactly what you are buying and what the market is like here. If not... That being said old Minis here have risen in price since the introduction of the BMW Mini.

Just curious, do you own such an albatross?

I'd like to hear others' comments. Some people must have tamed the beast...

I did and he's spot on..Here was mine and I acquired it from another farang in a trade after he realized how much cost and trouble it was going to be. I traded for it merely because I saw it's potential which I eventually brought out, but it took some serious doing on my part and a lot of resourcing of parts whether original or later model and even other manufacturers in some case like for the A/C compressor that could be altered to fit properly and operate.

I personally did extensive work on this car inside and out & it took a ton of fabricating too to replace parts that were impossible to locate, mostly trim pieces but all in all almost a year of sweat and blood and it began with a large portion done already but not well detailed as previously mentioned..

For one small example that took days to get the best result, in a previous life the entire grill was clear coated once then painted over because it yellowed, then clear coated over again and then fully stripped down and polished by me returning it to it's original luster and appeal.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If you cannot fix/tinker with it yourself then do not bother unless you can find a really good mechanic... Otherwise it will spend most of it's time broken/waiting for parts/undriveable.

Mechanics here can do a job, if supervised they might do it properly, but they don't seem to be able to finish it 100% so you need to take it somewhere else or Do It Yourself.

THIS!!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Running two "classics".. Old BMW 02 and an early TT. No bother with parts but finding a decent mech can be an issue. Having something fun and different to drive more than makes up for the occaisional problem. If you want to conform and have easy motoring buy a Jazz like everyone else....

Brother owns a classic car has for 30 ys wasn't a classic when he first bought it here in AU, its Falcon GT 1968.

He bought it when he was 19 and has mothered it ever since, id say to the point of being obsessional, only ever dives it when the sun is shining and about once a month and will only drive it to your place if he can put it in the driveway.

I use to own a Mini Cooper S 1969, broke me heart to part with it after 12 ys but I did use it as a day to day car.

Recently I brought a 2007 Cooper S, still same excitement but I get aircon and quite a few other luxury's to go with it now, lets say its a far cry form basic motoring except for the wow factor the early minis had.

Brothers red rocket...well my work pick up would blow it off the road, no aircon noisy as hell...

I like classics but to be honest if your not prepared to drive them there not worth owning, the way my brother is about his I wouldn't put myself through the stress.

One thing the modern car has over a classic...they are better built, much more reliable, and often better on fuel.

To the poster if you love em buy em but me id rather put my money into something like a late model S that I just bought, its still to this day a dam exciting machine to drive and with reliability and aircon...which is hard to go past in this day and age.

Where is the "classic" (or shall I say "old") VW club in Chiang Mai? Website?

I am sure there is a VW club branch in Chiang Mai if you say 20-30 years old and are fluent in the native language you will have no problem. One of the benefits of owning an old car is that you will have many friends who love to drive slowly in convoy and stop every 50kms for a coffee.

I have a friend with an old Rover 75 he is out with his friends almost every weekend at some rally or other.

If the cars in question which you still haven't identified are in fact VW's there are many places to buy spares etc. Third party insurance is enough to cover your liability towards others. Your damage will be up to you.

small 4 banger old cars are nice and simple , but not sure if keeping a Jag running would be fun,

Also most old cars were not made for 90f-100f temps and may overheat ,

You can add moden Japanese AC compresssor that works better and takes less HP.

If you plan on keeping it long term stock up on parts that you might need , tune up stuff , belts , head gasket , water pump etc, sure you can order it but it might have to come from overseas and you car could be down for months !

Few reasons.

1. Airconditioning. Where are you planning to drive that you don't want AC?

2. Drivability. Old cars are great, but they drive like old cars.

3. Reliability. Where are you planning to drive that you are not concerned with reliability? At least when you get stuck in the middle of nowhere and have no one to call, It won't be a whole lot hotter sitting in the car on the side of the road than it was driving it.

4. Heart. Last "classic" I have was a '68 Ford F-100 Explorer. Went through every inch of the unit. hundreds of hours of my life tied up it in and some a-hole boosted it and parted it out. Never again.

You have plenty of dough, a good place to store it, only plan to drive it once i a while and a daly driver for the rest of the time, go for it.

You never did say what they were.

I had a fully restored Series 1 XJ6 for a year here. I had a larger AC unit put in and drove it as my daily for a year. I sold it as I was not working, needed the money and wasn't using it. It put a smile on my face every time I took it out. The only downside was that everyone knew where you were so no sneaky visits to places you perhaps should not be going to! Also a big car is harder to park.

After that went I thought my classic car days were over. But I recently split with my gf and let her take the Brio so I needed a new car.This weekend Ford messed me about so I went to Honda and did the deal on a new CRV. I wanted finance only to be told that 2 years of work permits were not enough and that I needed a Thai guarantor. Not wanting any Thai to be involved in this transaction I walked away.

On the way home I stopped for petrol and was staring at an immaculate Mercedes 500SEL in the small Swiss dealer by the petrol station. It is a 1989 in absolutely immaculate condition. It has a recently installed 24 valve vvti straight 6 3 litre Toyota engine (easy and cheap to service and repair as well as being reasonably economical) and gearbox with 225bhp and it is smooth as silk. The interior is almost as good as the exterior with all the electric seats (including the back seats) working. A new CD with USB.

I took it for a test drive and it was straight as a die with a double kickdown that lifted and launched the car. I got back made a very good deal with the Swiss owner and bought it on the spot. They will get my residence cert and transfer the book for me.

The last two days have left me with an aching jaw I have been smiling so much. At the moment there is no downside but the upside is that I am driving something different that is fast smooth and comfortable. No finance payments and all for a fifth of the price of the cheapest 2.0 CRV. Result!!!!

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 1

On the way home I stopped for petrol and was staring at an immaculate Mercedes 500SEL in the small Swiss dealer by the petrol station...........................<snip>

They will get my residence cert and transfer the book for me.

Congrats on the purchase, I had a look at that one and it was nice and tidy.

am curious as to how they will get you residency cert for you though.