As A Foreigner, What Is Your Advice For Today's Thai Youth?

udonthani1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Learn as much English as possible. Master the language."

It depends on what Thai youth you are talking to. The emphasis on the learning of the English language for the majority of Thais is quite frankly overrated, as most of them will never use it! This will probably upset the teaching fraternity on TV, but for the majority of the country outside the commercial areas they speak and run their lives using Thai as they have done for centuries.

Why would a rice/sugar cane farmer need to know another language as all his trading is done inside Thailand? If he doesn't need to know, why should his workers? These type of workers will never be trading in the international markets. They will have minimal contact with foreigners. That is the way it is and for people who think that learning a new language is going to change this, sorry, you are living in a dream world.

Forget language, learn a trade, as mentioned earlier by Rene123!

Of course the above changes if the youth has potential to be exposed to international markets or visitors to their land or to work overseas. But, percentage wise throughout the Thai populous this, I would imagine would be very small.

Fine balance.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

I see a glaring lack of trade schools in Thailand. I think if a young man was formally educated as a mechanic, carpenter, plumber, builder, technician, etc, then he could go far with his own business.

You must live in a very remote place. There are lots of them and far from using the opportunity to start their own business, they seem to put more emphasis on atacking or shooting students from different trade schools.

Anyone with any knowledge of the trades from the west would be hard pressed to call the Thai ones trade schools. Some very basic first principles are missing from many of the graduates, which means they must be missing from many of the staff too.

I have to agree with mr78, technology and media has expanded at an exponential rate since I have been on this blue marble, which leads to the "keeping up with the Jone's" syndrome.

Advice for young Thais depends on their location and family's financial situation.

Education is the main factor for success, and how one measures success is a whole new topic...so before I go off on a tangent, my humble advice would be.....find out for yourself what you are good at and what you like....and go from there.

Cheers.

• Like 2

You can give them all the advice you want, but until the education system is changed and their parents have a clue as to what goes on outside their village, nothing will get better.

I have a MIL that taught for 25+ years, she knows her rubber and palm plantations but little else to be honest. These are the people charged with arming the future generations for life !!!

She even told me that if she had a left handed student, she would force them to use their right hand.. Because she couldn't be expected to teach a child that can't write properly ????

Edited by cornishcarlos
  • Like 1

I see a glaring lack of trade schools in Thailand. I think if a young man was formally educated as a mechanic, carpenter, plumber, builder, technician, etc, then he could go far with his own business.

You must live in a very remote place. There are lots of them and far from using the opportunity to start their own business, they seem to put more emphasis on atacking or shooting students from different trade schools.

Anyone with any knowledge of the trades from the west would be hard pressed to call the Thai ones trade schools. Some very basic first principles are missing from many of the graduates, which means they must be missing from many of the staff too.

Maybe it's got something to do with offering people teaching jobs on the sole qualification of being a native English speaker. coffee1.gif

Maybe it's got something to do with offering people teaching jobs on the sole qualification of being a native English speaker. coffee1.gif

I've never heard of native English speaking staff (trying to / supposedly) teach anything anything other than English at trade schools. Have you?

giggle.gif

"Learn as much English as possible. Master the language."

It depends on what Thai youth you are talking to. The emphasis on the learning of the English language for the majority of Thais is quite frankly overrated, as most of them will never use it! This will probably upset the teaching fraternity on TV, but for the majority of the country outside the commercial areas they speak and run their lives using Thai as they have done for centuries.

Why would a rice/sugar cane farmer need to know another language as all his trading is done inside Thailand? If he doesn't need to know, why should his workers? These type of workers will never be trading in the international markets. They will have minimal contact with foreigners. That is the way it is and for people who think that learning a new language is going to change this, sorry, you are living in a dream world.

Forget language, learn a trade, as mentioned earlier by Rene123!

Of course the above changes if the youth has potential to be exposed to international markets or visitors to their land or to work overseas. But, percentage wise throughout the Thai populous this, I would imagine would be very small.

Fine balance.

I think you might be missing the forest for the trees. Having fluency in English is perhaps most useful as a medium through which Thais would be able to learn about all manner of things (world history, scientific thought, law, medicine, philosophy, self-reflection, what other countries might REALLY think, morality, etc.) that they would not likely be able to even access having only mastered Thai. English + the internet is the ticket for the 99.9 percent of non-Elite Thais. Revolution of thought from the bottom up.

My point is what good would that be to someone without access to a computer and working in a rice field or a 'chop shop'. So financially constrained that this will never change?

You are talking about an ideal world. I am looking at present day reality for so many outside the commercial areas. It is why I said in my original post it depends on what Thai youth you are talking to. The time wasted on teaching English to those who will never use it could be used to a better, more productive purpose.

I think where I am coming from is through my own experience of schooling. For years I had to endure learning French at the school I attended, because someone thought it was a necessary language skill to have. I see a big similarity to the kids of today in Thailand being taught compulsory English. Taught for perhaps an hour a day but nowhere to practice it.

In my case, that time would have been better spent on any other subject I had, as I learnt zero French at school, and for the last 50 or so years have never spoken or had cause to speak a word of it.

They later found out that the world was round and not flat..............wink.png

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1