Doi Suthep Cyclists - Where Do They Buy These High-End Road Bikes?

davevi

I've started using my mountain bike to climb parts of Doi Suthep by road and I've noticed that most of cyclists I see are riding high-end road bikes.

I want to upgrade to a nice road bike soon, so I'm wondering where people are buying these bikes.

What I've found so far is a small shop not far from Canal Road on Huay Kaew that has a few nice bikes, but very little stock. I asked the owner of the shop, who speaks a little English, where these cyclists sell their used bikes when they upgrade at his shop. Unfortunately the question just didn't translate and I gave up.

Are there other shops in the city that have higher-end road bikes in stock like Trek, Cannondale, etc. And does anyone know where Thai cyclists are selling their used bikes?

I found a club for Chiang Mai cyclists on Facebook -- but there are only two bike shops talked about there, the one I spoke of above and a large shop that seems to be in Lamphun -- too far for me I'm afraid.

Thanks everyone.

there is also one next to the honda shop (nat honda?) on huay kaow called velo-city. it could be the one you spoke of already, but that is the only one i've come across that has the real expensive road/race bikes. the one near the moat that KRS1 spoke of has a large range, lots of imported single speeds and town bikes, but not so much in the road/race as velocity does.

Edited by dickyknee

It id my understanding that there is a bike club that meets at Thai Pai Gate Sunday mornings.

sorry I don't know the time .

But if you could connect with them they might have many useful ideas.

Good Luck

spelling

Edited by hellodolly

There is a shop on the one of the nimanheimin sois that runs parrallel .

Also another shop down the road from Panthip as you go towards the moat.

You are referring to Jacky Bike; its between soi 17 and soi 13....(dead opposite the secret knocking shop)

whoopps! secret out.

If you manage to reach the top of Doi Suthep, why dont you ask one of the numerous riders who will be there. Many go up but I suggest you get up there before 10.30 to meet them.

Hi

There are about 15 bike shops in Chiang Mai and the bikes they have are usually not high end (but depend what do you mean by high end)

If you like one bike in particular you can go to the shop that has that brand and order from them. I cycle to Doi suthep very often and to be honest most of the bikes are not that expensive (always depending on what expensive means) but they look so because they upgrade wheels, seat post, handle bars etc.

Velocity on Huay kaew road has, specialized, cervelo, Louis garneau, Colnago

Jacky bike is in a raod parallel to nimmanhaemin (was mention in another thread) and has trek

Arm bike has Bianchi, on Huay Kaew road

Bike Mall from the moat to pantip, has cannondale, GT, Cinelly, Wilier, Scott and Look

Cherry bike on road Moo 3 Highway 118 from CM to Doi Saket, they have Specialized, Merida, colnago, Giant

Chaitawat bike at Ratpakinai road not far from Ta Pae Gate, has Merida, Giant, and Trek

These are some but not all the bike shops however should be enough for you to have an idea. Most of them do not have a lot of models but I think shouldn't be hard to pick one that you like.

Best of luck

• Like 1

Consider the gearing as mt. bikes are better suited to riding up unless you change the gears if you buy a regular roadie. Try some of these, most should still be in business. Might be worth a trip to BKK too, there's a nice Canondale shop there.

Arm Bikes
203/17 Huai Kaeo Road
T. Chang Phueak A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 086-804-8229
GPS – N 18 48.246, E 98 57.755

Bike Corner
108 Chang Klan Road
T. Pa Daet A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 087-033-3307, 089-796-6669
GPS – N 18 45.666, E 98 59.854

Cacti Bike
94/1 Singharat Road
T. Si Phum A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-212-979, 089-757-9150
GPS – N 18 47.712, E 98 58.907

Chaitawat Bike Shop *featured
75/4 Ratpakinai Road
T. Phra Sing A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-279-890, 081-626-2590
GPS – N 18 47.063, E 98 59.427

Cherry Bike *featured
378 Moo 3 Highway 118
T. San Sai Noi A. San Sai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-380-229
GPS – N 18 48.508, E 99 01.482

Crouching Tiger Cycling Tours Shop
69 Mahidol Road
T. Haiya A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-202-501, 080-696-8220
GPS – N 18 46.680, E 98 58.610

Donjai Fixed Gear Shop
133/6 Si Phum Road
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 086-181-8805
GPS – N 18 47.720, E 98 59.057

iBike
114 Moo 2 Highway 108
A. Hang Dong
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-426-696, 084-611-1211
GPS – N 18.690743, E 98.9225999

Jacky Bike *featured
12/7 Nimmanhaemin soi 13
T. Suthep A. Mueang Chiang mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-225-278, 089-755-7910
GPS – N 18 47.769, E 98 58.106

Jing Bicycle
97/8 Moo 7 San Kampaeng Road (Hwy 1006)
T. San Kampaeng A. San Kampaeng
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-332-666, 081-672-1619
GPS – N 18 44.672, E 99 07.246

LA Bike Shop – Haiya
95-97 Mahidol Road
T. Haiya A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-276-112
GPS – N 18 46.658, E 98 58.610

LA Bike Shop – Si Phum
3/6 Si Phum Road
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-213-404, 081-530-5060
GPS – N 18 47.710, E 98 59.569

Spin Bike *featured
241/6 Canal road (Hwy 121)
T. Mae Hia A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel. 081-655-8451
GPS – N 18 44.393, E 98 56.088

TCA – Thai Cycling Alliance
44/1 Thevarit Road
T. Chang Phueak A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel. 053-406-292, 081-041-5511
[Thailand Distributor: BIANCHI, JAMIS, INTENSE, ELLSWORTH, TURNER, BIKE FRIDAY, KONA, PIVOT, FOX, EASTON]
GPS – N 18 48.296, E 98 58.507

The Heems
159/2 Si Phum Road
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 083-863-0366, 085-899-0796
GPS – N 18 47.734, E 98 58.916

Top Gear *featured
173 Chang Moi Road
T. Chang Moi A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-233-450
GPS – N 18 47.386, E 98 59.769

Velocity *featured
SHOP HAS RELOCATED – NEW LOCATION INFO COMING SOON
A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
Tel: 053-418-861, 081-595-5975

Zong 1 Cycle
3/6 Si Phum Road
ภาษาไทย [+]
GPS – N 18 47.710, E 98 59.569

Zong 2 Cycle
11/1-2 Sridonchai Road
T. Phra Sing A. Mueang Chiang Mai
ภาษาไทย [+]
GPS – N 18 46.859, E 98 59.625

I recommend Tawat Bike on Ratpakinai Road soi PhraPokKlao 6, directly across from the Bodi boutique hotel.. Just south of the Mitsu dealer on the corner of Rachadamnoen and Ratpakinai Road near AUA.

Khun Tawat and his wife both speak English and offer the latest bikes plus fiber, alloy, racing, mountain, trekking, road - you name it. Should you need something especially exotic to suit your needs, Khun Tawat can order it.

They will even make house calls.

A year or so ago I bought a TREK Fuel Ex5 on special order with an hydraulic rear suspension and front shocks (my back you see), received within the week. Eons ago I'd purchased his 'previously-owned' prof street bike.

Professional, informed, competent and friendly they are. Fair prices, too. They have all the latest accessories. Crowded most days.

Tried to add Google Map photo but ...sorry

I recommend Tawat Bike on Ratpakinai Road soi PhraPokKlao 6, directly across from the Bodi boutique hotel.. Just south of the Mitsu dealer on the corner of Rachadamnoen and Ratpakinai Road near AUA.

Khun Tawat and his wife both speak English and offer the latest bikes plus fiber, alloy, racing, mountain, trekking, road - you name it. Should you need something especially exotic to suit your needs, Khun Tawat can order it.

They will even make house calls.

A year or so ago I bought a TREK Fuel Ex5 on special order with an hydraulic rear suspension and front shocks (my back you see), received within the week. Eons ago I'd purchased his 'previously-owned' prof street bike.

Professional, informed, competent and friendly they are. Fair prices, too. They have all the latest accessories. Crowded most days.

Tried to add Google Map photo but ...sorry

The name of this shop is "Chaitawat," and I, too, recommend it. The owner, Chai, does speak English quite well, but I have not found the women who work there to be able to discuss much in English. Nonetheless, it's a very good bike shop with a repair person on staff.

Here is a streetview from Google: http://goo.gl/maps/6eEBX

THANKS... -- EVERYONE --

These answers are awesome and informative. I'll be looking at many of these suggested options especially Chaitawat and Top Gear and Jacky.

My first option will be to purchase a higher-end pre-owned bike, with a new bike as my fallback plan.

Excellent help from all.

THANKS... -- EVERYONE --

These answers are awesome and informative. I'll be looking at many of these suggested options especially Chaitawat and Top Gear and Jacky.

My first option will be to purchase a higher-end pre-owned bike, with a new bike as my fallback plan.

Excellent help from all.

As a local racing cyclist and cycling coach at the velodrome, may I add my little bit?

My experience of bike shops here is pretty poor. They sell bikes to people that do not fit them. Jacky Bike is just about Trek/Shimano - there is no other option. VeloCity has a wider choice. The best, in my opinion is TCA Bikes that import Bianchi - they have one or two other brands too. SpinBike is worth avoiding like the plague. Their frames are not always genuine and they will sell you what they've got - not what you need. Arm knows little about road bikes. VeloCity is OK. You can certainly PM me for some guidelines and direct and honest advice - I have no vested interest in any bike brand or shop!

Incidentally, it's not just about Doi Suthep. There are a couple of road groups that go out everyday and you may find a few cyclists here who's pace and distance matches your requirements.

PS: I have seen so many rip offs here, a tiny bike being sold to a huge rider; a copy frame sold as an original, low end Trek sold as top end and so on and so on. Remember: Size matters; fit matters and suitable for purpose matters. No need having a 150000+ baht bike if it's just for Doi Suthep etc etc etc. PM me if you like.

Another source of good info is the yahoo group roadriderschiangmai. Jeff who organises that site is a source of great information.

• Like 1

Just over 35 minutes is my fastest time from the Zoo to the elephant carving. I spent $1800 USD on my bike and it weighs 19 lbs.

I think my lowest gear in the back is a 28 cog, with a compact set-up in the front (50/34).

they may have $4,000 bikes, but at the most it will give them a 1 minute advantage. if in shape, you can crush them.

oh, and keep the tire pressure pretty low (90's), since the hot temps will quickly send the PSI higher.

all about cadence.....spin to win. haha

have fun

I bought a Trek from Chaitawat 2 years ago and haven't had a problem with it.

One minor point concerning inner tubes: Most, if not all bikes nowadays, come with inner tubes made in China. These inner tubes are easily punctured, resulting in having to replace the original inner tube. I've been told by tire repair shops that Thai inner tubes are stronger than Chinese inner tubes. Same goes for motorcycle inner tubes. Not a huge expense, just thought I'd pass the info. on.

• Like 1

I need some service on an older Rock Shox Dual Air schock. Where would be recommended?

Jacky is your best bet but service is dodgy in CM. Best choice is own a Fox and have it worked on at TCA

Or buy some tools and download service manuals and do it yourself.

Has anyone that got a Magura found someone to service it in CM?

Here's the deal as I see it with Jacky, convenient as he's right around the corner for me. I brought in my bikes from overseas as checked baggage. He makes money off selling bikes and is not really interested in repairs. I do understand this and try to buy something small every time I go in there. They have helped me out several times before but last time I asked about something his mechanic indicated he would be busy for 2 days building up bikes and blew me off. Chaitawat is good for repairs but across town for me.