Yakult And The Rise Of Probiotics In Thailand

webfact

Yakult and the rise of probiotics in Thailand
By Sarah CuiksaMay

yakult.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The little, hourglass-shaped bottle with the blue foil lid. It’s everywhere: lying empty curbside, waiting patiently in the office refrigerator, sitting unopened outside your neighbor’s apartment door.

The ubiquitous little bottle is Yakult, a drinkable probiotic out of Japan that’s been around for decades. The fermented milk drink claims to balance the flora of the gut (read: regulate your trips to the bathroom).

Yakult is no stranger to Thailand: the drink was widely adopted after its introduction to the market in 1971. Today, it seems as if everyone and their neighbor drinks a bottle of the stuff a day.

Yakult owes its success partly to its distribution and partly to the health benefits it claims.

Friendly “Yakult Ladies” ride around the city on scooters delivering packages of the probiotic door-to-door, touting its digestive health benefits. The miracle drink is believed to regulate everything from constipation to diarrhea, along with protecting against infections. But as the probiotic and prebiotic industry continues to grow, in both Thailand and worldwide, health regulators are clamping down on the claims and benefits touted by probiotic manufacturers. Turns out the world of friendly bacteria is a bit murkier than you’d think.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/05/26/yakult-and-rise-probiotics-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-05-26

Chooka, if you ever had Candida infestation you would not say that.

No never had it, and never drank yakult either. So is this yalkult thingy some miracle cure and recomended by doctors?

• Like 1

Gimmick. No different to these whitening creams

Can't say anything about this particular product, but I take probiotic capsules for stomach issues on an as-needed basis. Not to regulate the number of trips to the loo, as the author of this piece suggests. Actually recommended by a doctor because of lactose & other digestive issues. It's been a big help.

Probiotics are live microorganisms that are commonly used in order to prevent or treat a disease. The current definition by the Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization is "Live microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host." These microorganisms are a heterogeneous group, they are nonpathogenic and produce beta- galactosidase or lactase intracellularly that may assist in the digestion of lactose (11).

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

spotted a trial in NZ recently. Probiotics in the treatment of depression. I have read that, more and more medical science is thinking that our digestive system and gut bacteria is possibly the centre of the whole bodys health and wellness or otherwise. Doubtful tho that live yoghurt and drinks would have enough good bacteria to do much good. Capsules more likely to be effective

• Like 1

Fecal transplants are the new black. You heard it here first!

I read about sh#t switches on NSFWcorp.com... is that where you got it?

No I didn't.

Just wait. Lady Gaga will be doing this and soon everyone will want it!licklips.gif

spotted a trial in NZ recently. Probiotics in the treatment of depression. I have read that, more and more medical science is thinking that our digestive system and gut bacteria is possibly the centre of the whole bodys health and wellness or otherwise. Doubtful tho that live yoghurt and drinks would have enough good bacteria to do much good. Capsules more likely to be effective

Id believe that the digestive system is linked to depression

Look at your average old guy. They can spend hours a day telling you about their bowel movements and what course of 'treatment they are taking'. The grumpy and depressed ones seem to be in a constant state of IBS or constipation. The happy go lucky guys seem as regular as a Swiss Train!

Probiotics, we salute you!

• Like 2

Fecal transplants are the new black. You heard it here first!

I read about sh#t switches on NSFWcorp.com... is that where you got it?

No I didn't.

Just wait. Lady Gaga will be doing this and soon everyone will want it!licklips.gif

bah.gif

• Like 1

Absolute rubbish statement...

Can stop diarrhoea very quickly, from experience. It's a known benefit to replace the 'good' bacteria in the stomach to boost what's there or to replace bacteria lost through antibiotics.

totster :)

• Like 2

Absolute rubbish statement...

Can stop diarrhoea very quickly, from experience. It's a known benefit to replace the 'good' bacteria in the stomach to boost what's there or to replace bacteria lost through antibiotics.

totster smile.png

Can't remember the last time I had the trots but for me the best cure is to avoid seafood. The last time I took antibiotics would be about 20 yrs ago after an operation. I think generally if you eat healthy there is no need for suppliments. My favourite vegie is chillies eat them by the handfull and keeps me in shape.

I find that my yoghurt (low sugar) works wonders for my stomach and bowels. I limit the amount I have to about 200grams a day and usually take it for a week or so as need be.

My understanding of pro biotics is that there are thousands, or millions of different pro biotic strains and that very little is know about them, what they do, which ones are good, etcetera

I find that my yoghurt (low sugar) works wonders for my stomach and bowels. I limit the amount I have to about 200grams a day and usually take it for a week or so as need be.

My understanding of pro biotics is that there are thousands, or millions of different pro biotic strains and that very little is know about them, what they do, which ones are good, etcetera

Generally, a MIX of them is better. Other sources: Kefir, LIVE BACTERIA yogurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut.

• Like 1

Generally, a MIX of them is better. Other sources: Kefir, LIVE BACTERIA yogurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut.

I never knew kimchi was probiotic active. Now I do. I like kimchi

• Like 1

Chooka, if you ever had Candida infestation you would not say that.

No never had it, and never drank yakult either. So is this yalkult thingy some miracle cure and recomended by doctors?

You are really out of touch with what doctors recommend. I used Viox on a doctors recommendation for 5 years then they discovered it had dangerous side effects and stopped making it. Lipator was a disaster but it was recommended by a doctor,

The crowning glory to it all was when my doctor told me Glucosamine sulphate would mot help my knees. 6 months later he informed me that scientists had proved it would. that was back in Canada.

Here I have a good doctor who is not afraid to let me use some thing not approved by the medical society. The difference is she looked at them and out of four she told me one she didn't even know what it was so she called the manufacturer (local) and told me it had a mild pain reliever in it and nothing to improve the joints. She also told me one

was a waste of money. She also approved of me seeing an acupuncturist for my feet as my diabetes affects them.

Haven't tried that yet but I will.

It was a Chiropractor who got me off the Lipator not a doctor. He also told me about niacin for my cholesteral and it is working for me.

The point is some people put way to much trust in a Doctor.

Interesting thread here..... I had an emergency operation in December 2012 for a perforated duodenal ulcer. Touch and go at the beginning but after 2 weeks I was able to be transferred to a joint-venture hospital for the recovery stage.

After a further 5 weeks I was able to be discharged. Very weak after 7 weeks in hospital I asked my Dr.... 'What foods should I eat/not eat ?'... his reply 'no spicy for the first month'. And eat small cuts of meat.

I then asked what about things like yoghurt and probiotic drinks? Surely they will help to keep my stomach calm?..

The reply was you should avoid these drinks for the rest of your life. They do not help at all and I need you to bring your stomach back to a state where it can accept Thai conditions and the bugs it brings.

OK.... great.... after a month at home, it was time!!!..Pad Grapwow Moo...... total ecstasy!! serious head sweat and endorphins buzz.

Had a gastroscopy last week..... every thing looking pinky.....great news.

It was created by Japanese scientist Minoru Shirota, who graduated from the Medical School of Kyoto University in 1930.

Scientific basis

Claims regarding the benefits of Yakult consumption are supported by an array of scientific studies, according to the manufacturer's website.Those could range from maintenance of gut floram modulation of the immune system, regulation of bowel habits and constipation[16] and finally effects on some gastrointestinal infections.

Although the number of scientific papers is certainly large, most of them are related to in vitro and in vivo experiments, with some human clinical trials done on cohorts and with daily consumption of 40–100 billions of probiotic L. casei Shirota, far above the single bottle concentration of approximately 6.5 billion.

In 2010, an EFSA panel concluded that a cause and effect relationship has not been established between the consumption of Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota and maintenance of the upper respiratory tract defence against pathogens by maintaining immune defences.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakult