Vientiane Visa Run

I have a US passport and entered Thailand 30 days ago. I'm on the 30 day free arrival.

I don't need more than 30 days more in Th.

Can I simply fly to Vientiane and fly back the next day and get another 30 day arrival so that I don't have to apply for a visa at the Thai embassy there?

Or do you think there is a chance that they will deny me the 30 day arrival at the airport seeing that I just hopped across the border and back after only a day out.

No problem - you will have to pay for a visa for entry into Laos so it might be cost effective to take a cheap flight to Malaysia (where there are more flights for return same day if you do not want to stay overnight).

No problem - you will have to pay for a visa for entry into Laos so it might be cost effective to take a cheap flight to Malaysia (where there are more flights for return same day if you do not want to stay overnight).

Ah well, I already got my ticket to Laos since I needed an outbound ticket when I came to Thailand.

If your considering doing this again (flying in and out) you should really just get a tourist visa it will be cheaper. In Vientiane-Lao single entry which is 60 days (plus optional to extend for 30 days without leaving Thailand again) only costs 1000thb (around 33usd). And a double entry which will allow for staying between 120-180 days (use or non use of extensions) costs 2000thb. Also Vientiane is a nice little city similar to the quiter places in Thailand