Poor Village School With Computer Problems

onlycw

Forty km outside Udon Thani, there is a small high school. The PCs are barely functioning - at a snail's pace.

Turns out they all lack RAM memory. The one in our Department shows "247 MB".

If any business is replacing their computers or has surplus RAM memory for the likes of DELL Optiplex 320 computers,

there will be grateful takers.

What do you reckon is the roots of this issue? An incompetent IT guy? Just wondering as this is utterly frustrating.

We just sent a bunch of these Optiplex computers off to the crusher where I work a couple weeks ago. I'll look around and see if there's any left laying around. It don't think the RAM needs to be specifically for Dell Optiplex computers, does it?

If you distribute 400'000 i-pads and i phones to the "needy" in the Isaan on a "wireless-basis", no wonder.

A water-pipe, designed to deliver 100 liters per hour can not be convinced to deliver 150 liters per hour without some sort of "upgrading".

Give it 6 months and eventually the problem will be recognized. In the meantime, the kids are mainly interested in computer-games and for this you don't have to be online anyway.

The future of Thailand looks bright.

Cheers.

We just sent a bunch of these Optiplex computers off to the crusher where I work a couple weeks ago. I'll look around and see if there's any left laying around. It don't think the RAM needs to be specifically for Dell Optiplex computers, does it?

You just have to take one memory card out and write the type down. There're only two different types of memory cards. Another 512 MB per computer would be enough to run XP.-wai2.gif

We just sent a bunch of these Optiplex computers off to the crusher where I work a couple weeks ago.  I'll look around and see if there's any left laying around.  It don't think the RAM needs to be specifically for Dell Optiplex computers, does it?

You just have to take one memory card out and write the type down. There're only two different types of memory cards. Another 512 MB per computer would be enough to run XP.-Posted Image

Half good advice.....

RAM is memory but nothing to do with memory cards.

Definately post the model numbet of the ram which will help identify the type required. There are much more than 2 different types.

Look for a number like pc-3200 or similar.

Otherwise any letters or numbers around ddr.

Other essential information is how many RAM slots are free and in use.

If you have 2 slots with 128 in each another 128 would be no help. But if you have 1 slot with 256 and 1 empty then any extra would help.

Chances are at these sizes you have ddr or ddr2. Both of which are very outdated and these small sizes commonly discarded so hopefully people will have some spare to donate to a good cause.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

incompetent IT guy, incompetent teachers, illegal Windows...

I used to do pc maintanance for expats, did a few for locals as well but I quit this, <deleted> their systems are a Totally Messed Up and clogged, ofcourse illegal windows hacked by an advertisement wallpaper of it's 'provider', illegal antivirus, everything illegal, not any tool for maintanance scanning, cleaning and speed-up etc, always tens of malwares and viruses, a HUGE number of games, Thai translation tools, never seen a pc of a farang with 600 games on it <deleted>. they just download anything without any awareness and DON'T do any maintanance.... Simply amazing.

Really they are not ready for the digital era, even on the official Government Public Relations Department website they using Gmail cheesy.gif

You just have to take one memory card out and write the type down. There're only two different types of memory cards. Another 512 MB per computer would be enough to run XP.-wai2.gif

Half good advice.....

Definately post the model numbet of the ram which will help identify the type required. There are much more than 2 different types.

If you have 2 slots with 128 in each another 128 would be no help. But if you have 1 slot with 256 and 1 empty then any extra would help.

Chances are at these sizes you have ddr or ddr2. Both of which are very outdated and these small sizes commonly discarded so hopefully people will have some spare to donate to a good cause.

Sorry, thought they're called RAM memory cards. What would you call them? You need at least 700+ MB of RAM to run programs like XP. Windows 7 needs at least 2 GB.

Half good advice.....

Sorry, thought they're called RAM memory cards. What would you call them? You need at least 700+ MB of RAM to run programs like XP. Windows 7 needs at least 2 GB.

512 for XP. 700 MB would never be quoted by a computer firm as it is not a binary number.

1GB recomended for Windows 7.

Sorry, thought they're called RAM memory cards. What would you

call them? You need at least 700+ MB of RAM to run programs like XP.

Windows 7 needs at least 2 GB.

so did I, ram, random access memory, as opposed to rom, read only memory, these days rom can be written to, eg usb stick (universal serial bus) usb can be used to increase ram in some windows versions

Edited by maddas