Phuket Beach Lifeguard Deal Signed In The Nick Of Time

webfact

Phuket beach lifeguard deal signed in the nick of time
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1369635227_1.jpg
Kamala lifeguards pictured in a file photo.

PHUKET: -- Thirty-eight locations on Phuket’s beaches will be covered by lifeguards in June following the signing yesterday (May 26) of special one-month contract between the Provincial Administration Organisation (OrBorJor) and the Phuket Lifeguard Club (PLC).

PLC President Prathaiyut “Nut” Chuayuan told The Phuket News this morning, “We have signed the [one-month] contract.”

The deal is a last-minute stopgap measure after it was revealed in The Phuket News on May 10 that, with the existing contract due to expire today (May 27), little had been done by OrBorJor officials to organise a new one.

Officials admitted earlier this month that it would take until the beginning of July before the bidding process for a new one-year contract could be completed, leaving Phuket with no lifeguards in June, one of the most dangerous months of the year along the island’s beaches.

A call for tenders has now been issued by the OrBorJor, which has promised that a service provider will be chosen and signed up by June 28 for the following 11 months.

The OrBorJor is offering an 11-month contract that will pay B20 million for the salaries of 108 lifeguards and the equipment they need to rescue people from the sea. This may seem like a large amount, but after the equipment is paid for, the lifeguards will get salaries of B11,000 to B25,000 a month, depending on experience.

It seems unlikely that any organisation apart from the PLC will make a bid, and even the PLC is unhappy about the idea of a one-year contract.

“Honestly, I am worried about this,” said Mr Prathaiyut. “It is not easy to find people to do this job and a one-year contract [in this case 11 months] does not offer job security.

“I have been telling the OrBorJor since last year that we need a three-year contract.”

Paiboon Upatising, president of the OrBorJor, told The Phuket News, “For now, we have signed a short-term contact for lifeguard coverage for a month. I can confirm that Phuket’s beaches will have lifeguards for sure.”

But, he added, “The OrBorJor cannot hire a lifeguard provider for three years because we are obliged by law to make plans and budgets that run from year to year.”

An official explained that in some cases, longer service contracts can be signed. For example, the contract for running the OrBorJor hospital is for five years. But for multi-year contracts the OrBorJor must apply for parliamentary approval, and success will depend on whether MPs regard the service as essential.

Mr Paiboon added that he was reluctant to award a contract of longer than one year because he worried that inflation might have a bad impact on lifeguards tied to a fixed salary for three years.

Between May 28 last year and the end of April this year, 882 people were saved by the lifeguards – an average of 80 a month.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-lifeguard-deal-signed-in-the-nick-of-time-39669.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-05-27

Starting at 11K is not a lot of money. Also they don't just sit on the beach....at least not at Naiharn. The current group

are the best we have had and I have witnessed them do several good rescues as well as prevention work. Have you ever

done Life Guard work? The contract term of one year is ludicrous and needs addressing for sure if they hope to retain

staff.

• Like 2

25k for sitting on the beach.. That seems alot of money for a Thai job

Sitting on the beach?

Between May 28 last year and the end of April this year, 882 people were saved by the lifeguards – an average of 80 a month.

Reading can be difficult sometimes.

• Like 2

Have you actually watched how hard some of these guys work? They risk their lives regularly to save people who choose to ignore the warnings.

• Like 1

or 25k for pulling stupid p!ssheads out of the drink, when the red flags are clearly flying.... seems like a lot of work for not much reward!

25k works only once for the family when you lose your life trying to save some idiot from there're own stupidity or ignorance. A lot of people bi*ch too much about things they know nothing about. Tell me Khun H. how much is your life worth to you? (Rhetorical question w/ no reply needed.)

• Like 1

If they save just one life (and I,m sure it will be much more) it will be well worth it. The beaches of Phuket are a deathtrap particularly in the rainy season, especially Karon Beach. I was once told by a local that sometimes two or three people a day are drowned off this beach, but it,s kept quiet to avoid bad publicity. The big danger is the rip tide, and the speed that one can take you out is nothing short of awesome. I know ! Bumped into an old acquaintance a couple of weeks ago, and he said that he lost his wife in exactly the same place as I went out, body never found. Back then there were no warning flags or lifeguards, and it,s a terrifying experience to find yourself miles off the beach with nothing to hang on to. Bring them lifeguards on !