The One-Month Haircut In Thailand!

Eesat

B500 is Australian prices, and I pay less than B400 equivalent in Melbourne!! Go to a 'hairdresser' rather than a 'barber shop', and you'll pay upwards of $25.00 though.

I couldn't manage more than about 5-6 weeks, and he takes a lot of hair off. Your hair must be super slow growing if you're on a 3 month cycle.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is very interesting to read because I like my hair to look good too.

In Bangkok, I prefer to go to a hair salon. I just like the experience better in a salon. And compared to the U.S., the prices are so much more reasonable.

I found an outstanding Bangkok salon that does an amazing job at very reasonable prices. It's called HAIR BY PHONATIP. I'm not going anywhere else now.

You can google them to find out all the details about the salon. I recall that they also have a price list on their website. When I've been there, I've seen Khun Phonatip working on many Western clients. I even met one guy who said he drives all the way from Pattaya just to see Phonatip.

The Hair By Phonatip Salon is located in central Bangkok near the Airport Link Station, the one that is connected to the Phaya Thai BTS station. There are very good directions on his website.

I hope you find Phonatip's service to be as good as I do. It's best to book in advance because he books up pretty quickly. I just use the on-line booking feature on his website, which is a breeze.

Here's to looking your best!!!! smile.png

Most fun haircut is in the Underground station at cnr Sukhumvit and Asoke Rd.

Take the escalator down to the first underground point, the bit where you can transverse under Asoke Rd (not all the way down to the ticket office).

There is a small walkway/arcade to the left.

Just near the entrance they have a series of booths which offer a haircut for 100Baht.

The fun bit is after the haircut you get vacuumed ... w00t.gif ... lasted maybe a month ... definately an experience.

Have you tried some of the other hairdressers in the area ? They might be more fun. coffee1.gif

hair cut ,,? maybe once every 3 years or so and nice and short for 40 THb.

• Like 1

It pays to be a baldy old git!!

I get my hair buzzed by the g/f about every six weeks or so. No need for fancy haircuts when you have so little hair to begin with wink.png

totally agree with you mate, i have mine sheared for 30 baht, it's cooler, i don't need a comb, and i don't buy shampoo......QED

500 baht? You must be getting a hair cut in some up market mall?

I get the 80 baht hair cuts with a shave and a nice shoulder and head massage, then give them 200 baht feeling pretty happy about it.

Just try a little road side place.

Way to continue the stereotype that farangs will give outrageous tips...I'm sorry but they set the price that way, a little tip is one thing, but I feel like a 120-baht tip on an 80 baht haircut is like saying: look how much money I have, I can afford to give u twice what the other people here do.

80 baht is a good price, give them 100.......or do you feel like your calling in life is to donate to the poor underprivileged people of Thailand "and feel happy about it" ......if you wanna pay 200 baht, go pay 200 baht somewhere

I know, I know, I don't understand how hard these people work, blah blah blah...but I have friends who have gotten large tips that sometimes express the ridiculousness of it, "meuan guu kaao yaak maak paeng loei wa" (as if I were totally poverty-stricken) or "ruuseuk meuan bpen kon kaw taan" i feel like a beggar..

I know your intentions are good, I really do. But just think about how other people might interpret your actions, and then think of what that that might mean, and ask yourself whether you should just simply feel good about it.....maybe your own view is indeed more complicated than your post indicates, and if so, then I'd be interested to hear more.

+1

never paid more then 200 bht, another place 100 bht. Quality cut to.

Something I know a lot about is hair, I worked in a saloon as a young man.

should not be paying 500bht.

Yeah I worked in a saloon too. People kept coming in and asking me for a beer, or a vodka and coke .. sometimes even whisky and soda. Always wondered why????

Personally, if I go more than 2 weeks without a good fade, I feel like I should be part of a drum circle. But yeah, there are not a lot of 'barbers' out there, but plenty of 'stylists'. their specialty is making Asian males look like anime characters--basically the 'emo' look of 2006. Or a haircut that looks like a bird's nest.

When I first asked for a #1 fade they didn't even have clippers but used scissors and acted like they were making a sculpture. Cambodia on the other hand--there are a ton of places in PP and SR for a tight, military grade fade.

I was about to commiserate with you regarding getting a decent haircut here then I finished reading your post and a couple comments. Perhaps it is a cultural difference but, in my opinion, a man's haircut should last 2-4 weeks. My problem has been rather the opposite of yours, most places I went tried to scalp me making it a 5-6 week haircut (enough time to grow it out and try to get it fixed) instead of my normal 2-3 weeks. I have had the most success with the cheap local places where I can find a man to cut my hair rather than a woman or ladyboy. When I lived in Chiang Mai the first place I tried was excellent and I stuck with them but it took five or six attempts to find a decent barber in Bangkok. During the search I had one woman completely ignore my instructions and just take a set of clippers to my head (she started right over the forehead so there was no opportunity to correct the mistake), another use a combination of very dull scissors and a weird technique to give me the first painful haircut I have ever had, and 3-4 more who cut my hair unevenly and too short. My haircut is not complicated or unusual, just a classic side part (think Tom Brokaw).

Where was the excellent place in CM? I have been looking for ages!

Traveling on the Middle Ring Road northward from it's intersection with the Super Highway, the barbershop is on the left just past the sign for the Mandarin Oriental and beside a pet food shop with a yellow awning. The GPS coordinates would be around 18 46'29" 99 02'31"

i dont understand where you are coming from, what type of hair style do you have ? as long as your mop doesnt resemble a wind bush then its only around 100b anywhere in bkk. hundreds of decent small mens hairdressers in bkk and any other city i have been to.

• Like 1

500 baht? You must be getting a hair cut in some up market mall?

I get the 80 baht hair cuts with a shave and a nice shoulder and head massage, then give them 200 baht feeling pretty happy about it.

Just try a little road side place.

Why on earth do you give them a 150% tip?

I pay 70 baht and give them just that - barber have some pride you know. People like you are resented by normal Thai workers.

OP, I can't understand - there are hundreds of decent barbers for under 100 baht in Bangkok but they are not in the tourist areas. Although if you know where to look, you don't have to go far - there are a few near Thong Lor BTS.

I used to go to the hairdressing school on Suk. 103. Haircut for 20 Baht. Although sometimes not perfect, it was worth it because of all the phone numbers given by the students.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

What a customer wants to give as a tip is an entirely personal matter. I haven't found anybody in a service business yet who didn't appreciate a good or 'excessive' tip, and it greases the skids nicely for future consideration.

There are lots of good barbers and stylists in Chiang Mai, I have found. It's fun to just walk in and take a chance. It grows back.

Is it ok to tip a dentist in your country?

It's the same as tipping a barber in this country.

I can't believe anyone thinks that their haircut is that important!

And nothing wrong with giving your barber a tip, I add 20B to the 60 he charges - and does a great job I might add, shaves my back and ears, nice shoulder rub too.

A good haircut should last SIX weeks.

Not in Thailand.

I agree with the OP, it lasts maximum 4 weeks, but actually 3 weeks turnaround would be better.

As most Thais, the haircutters have no education and no common sense. If you are tall, they can't reach the top and just leave it out. The part they cut well, is usually the back side.

I recommend the gay saloons, as men are a little more serious and talented than women. But avoid the lady boys. Even in BKK don't pay more than 150 B. More money doesn't imply better quality.

Edited by GreenSnapper

I would need photographic evidence before I believed there was a barber/hairdresser that charged 1,000 baht for a haircut in Thailand

Central World and Siam Paragon,quite a few of them charge 1,000 baht,500 is cheap!w00t.gif

What a customer wants to give as a tip is an entirely personal matter. I haven't found anybody in a service business yet who didn't appreciate a good or 'excessive' tip, and it greases the skids nicely for future consideration.

There are lots of good barbers and stylists in Chiang Mai, I have found. It's fun to just walk in and take a chance. It grows back.

Is it ok to tip a dentist in your country?

It's the same as tipping a barber in this country.

I pay 500 baht and tip the very pretty young girl 50 baht,what's wrong with that?

She certainly never looks to me like she resents it,quite the opposite actually,she normally looks very happy about it!

I can't believe anyone thinks that their haircut is that important!

And nothing wrong with giving your barber a tip, I add 20B to the 60 he charges - and does a great job I might add, shaves my back and ears, nice shoulder rub too.

You are obviously not a hansum man like me!

I used to go to the hairdressing school on Suk. 103. Haircut for 20 Baht. Although sometimes not perfect, it was worth it because of all the phone numbers given by the students.

Best post yet ... thumbsup.gif

Maybe is just a question of comunication, at the bigining I also had the same problem because I couldnt speak Thai, but after I learn to speak Thai well enough I have never had that problem again, I just go to my nearest barber and say to her what I want and get it for only 70 bhat. thumbsup.gif

All this guff about a flaming haircut?! Get a life Boys!!!!! After all the difference between a good haircut and a bad one is two weeks. PS...... Cheapest cut I ever had in LOS was 20baht in a village in Issan. Good job too.

ask schoolboys where they have their hair cut. it's the best place to go if you're in to neat and clean haircuts. costs about 70 baht in BKK and 40 baht in rural areas. lasts me 6-8 weeks before my next visit to the barber. i also tip the barber 20 baht to help him remember what kind of cut i like.

I used to just go to the local barber little hole in the wall near where I lived and paid 60 baht. Not a tourist area, though. My friend and I would both go there and as we liked to do buzz cuts it lasted long enough for us!

My old girlfriend in BKK has owned a few hair salons for the last 10 years or so and one time when she cut my hair she said it was hard as she wasn't used to my hair. She was only used to cutting the hair of other Thais and I guess there is a difference, according to her. I suppose she's used to cuttign hair that's more straight, black and less complicated.

That could be part of the problem.