State Pensions, Australia & Others

swissie

live away from australia your pension will be stopped............ after 6 weeks

You need to be clearer in your claim. From Human Services website:

You can get Age Pension for the whole time you are overseas, regardless of whether you leave Australia temporarily or permanently. However, the amount of pension you receive may change if you remain outside Australia for more than 26 weeks. Whether or not your payment amount changes will depend on how long you have lived in Australia between age 16 and age pension age.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#AgePensionPensionSupplement

OR...

If you leave Australia to live in another country you will not be able to receive Disability Support Pension (DSP) in the other country, unless you:

• are terminally ill and are leaving Australia permanently to be with or near a family member, or to return to your country of origin, or
  • left Australia prior to 1 July 2004, and at the time of leaving you were told that you could be paid indefinitely, and you have not returned to Australia to live since that time, or
  • have been assessed in Australia prior to the departure as having a permanent, severe impairment and no future work capacity. Assessment involves a review of your DSP qualification and a Job Capacity Assessment

You may be able to get your DSP for more than six weeks if you:

• are studying outside Australia as part of a full-time Australian course, or
  • are severely disabled and dependent on and living with, a family member who has been temporarily posted to work outside Australia by their Australian employer

If you returned to live in Australia and were granted or transferred to DSP within the last two years, you will not be able to receive DSP outside Australia. After you return, to be paid outside the country you must have been living in Australia for two years since you last arrived in Australia to live.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/outside-australia#DisabilitySupportPension

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again let me rephrase if you live in Thailand your pension will STOP you check website

Only under specific criteria e.g. return to Oz to claim Aged Pension, must meet residency criteria & be resident for 2 years in order to qualify for overseas payment if permanently re-locating. If you wish to contradict, please provide the Human Services specific website link

again let me rephrase if you live in Thailand your pension will STOP you check website

Only under specific criteria e.g. return to Oz to claim Aged Pension, must meet residency criteria & be resident for 2 years in order to qualify for overseas payment if permanently re-locating. If you wish to contradict, please provide the Human Services specific website link

Yes the payment will stop if you have not allready met the residency requirement this is because there is a requirement that you be officially resident in Australia at the date of claiming the pension. Centrelink regulations define a 2 year peiod for this. If you have not been resident for 2 years they in effect provisionally pay you if you are still in Australia but not outside. The pension itself is portible if this 2 year provision has been met. If it has not been met you are not entitled to a pension.

I live in Thailand and my pension does not and will not stop as I was in Australia for the two years prior to the claim and hence am entitled to the pension.

Yes the payment will stop if you have not allready met the residency requirement this is because there is a requirement that you be officially resident in Australia at the date of claiming the pension. Centrelink regulations define a 2 year peiod for this. If you have not been resident for 2 years they in effect provisionally pay you if you are still in Australia but not outside. The pension itself is portible if this 2 year provision has been met. If it has not been met you are not entitled to a pension.

I live in Thailand and my pension does not and will not stop as I was in Australia for the two years prior to the claim and hence am entitled to the pension.

Same,same Harrry,I have been receiving the OAP for ten years,I am classified as an Overseas Recipient by Centrelink,moved here in 2000 and my pension is paid into my Thai bank in Thai Baht monthly.

• Like 1

l am about to move to thailand and at the moment do not qualify for the pension because only 62 and understand to qualify at 65 must live in oz for 2 yrs prior ( which is total bs ) but after reading all that am led to believe if outside Australia more than 6 weeks the pension will stop in short it means aged pensioners living in certain countries will lose the pension. The Govt site explains that and many stories are emerging on the internet of very disgruntled expats and the only advice given is to lobby the local member. I certainly would be happy to know that your pension will not stop. Oh and l was born and raised in Australia and earnt my right to get a pension when due l paid a lot of tax here.

Edited by expatoz

I will be in touch with The Department of Human Services in Melbourne on Monday to settle this once and for all cheers and thx for your responses

I suggest you may not get a very good answer from Melbourne. The only definitive answer you will get is from the international services section in Hobart.

l have two and a half years to wait to worry about that. Now my main thing is the visa to live there maybe you can give me advice on that can I apply for the marriage visa in bkk or must it be done in aust marriage is set for next arrival in bkk

l have two and a half years to wait to worry about that. Now my main thing is the visa to live there maybe you can give me advice on that can I apply for the marriage visa in bkk or must it be done in aust marriage is set for next arrival in bkk

Best to ask this question under the visas to other countries section as that is where people know.

Its a real bummer but you are going to have to live in Austalia from your 63rd birthday until your 65. You can thank the Kiwis for that. I hope you have the means to support yourself otherwise you will have to go onto the Jobsearch Allowance. Are you disabled in any way? If you can get onto a disability pension you can come to Thailand for 6 weeks every 6 months without the benefit being stopped.

Dont forget that the two years qualifying period prior to age 65 must be un-interrupted meaning that even leaving Oz for a brief holiday means that the clock is reset and the two year period starts again from date of return.

my quack says l can get disability. Tell me if you can at age of 62 what is best insurance to get in thai

As a starting point try http://www.aainsure.net/ They speak English and broker insurance services for the expat community.

Regards your question on a long stay visa, usually referred to as an 'O' Visa with marrage extention, as suggested post in the visa forum, with sufficient information concerning your situation, rather than the very brief questions you are currently posting

State Pension in Ireland is €230 (8,510 baht) a week. Is that better or worse than Australians State Pension ? Sorry for hijacking your thread OP.

they get the same money with no extra benefits, for a single man it is around AUD$750 a fortnight(every 2 weeks) which is around 21,000 baht.

you can get while you live here, get a 3 month non o visa first in Australia(Brisbane is the best one to go through) then get your marriage visa after you are here, if you have 400,000 baht in the bank for over 3 months or earn 40,000 baht plus a month(aussie pension) you can get a marriage visa (if your married to a thai of course,5555555).

Same,same Harrry,I have been receiving the OAP for ten years,I am classified as an Overseas Recipient by Centrelink,moved here in 2000 and my pension is paid into my Thai bank in Thai Baht monthly.

what sort of exchange rate do you get, bank rates are lower than thai rates of exchange, plus how did you set it up so they pay into a thai bank, would save n\me heaps

what sort of exchange rate do you get, bank rates are lower than thai rates of exchange, plus how did you set it up so they pay into a thai bank, would save n\me heaps

You ask them.

They will send you a form to take to your bank to get the correct number.

You send it to them.

You will get paid directly monthly.

You will get paid at a rate which is fixed periodically which is based on the exchange rate. If there is more than a 5% change you can ask them to adjust. Note there are no fees charged you get paid what they pay.

With doing your own transfers the rate given by the bank here is about 3% higher than the general rate for australian banks but you will get hit with several extra fees by the bank here as well as transfer fees from your Australian bank so it is about the same or better than if you do a normal TT from Australia.

l was born and raised in Australia and earnt my right to get a pension when due l paid a lot of tax here.

A Government funded pension is not a right, but a privilege, and only should be paid to those in desperate need.

Your taxes paid for the pensions of your Mother and Father, build the highways you drove on and the Hospitals during your time in Australia.

One you have the qualifying period and apply you can move permanently if you wish and your pension will continues. By then though pension age may not be 65 but I believe 67.

Doesn't change for decades yet.

I'm still a couple of decades away before I qualify and it changes just before I turn 67