Christmas/new Year Travels

TheGhostWithin

Hi all, am going to be in the Kingdom during Christmas/New Year 2013/2014. I have been to Thailand many times before but tend to travel during the rainy season, it really is the best time to travel! I am a 26 year old guy, speak Thai and prefer to be away from the "backpacker" scene and its' inherent "blissful ignorance factor".

I am wondering where everyone else goes for New Year? I am weary of being in Bangkok as I will be alone, and do not want to feel miserable by myself in the big city :) Looked at Pattaya as that seems to be where many people (girls AND guys) go to celebrate new year, but was surprised to see prices increase 30% between Christmas day and New Years day. I will be in the Philippines prior to this travelling the countryside in the mountains so that takes out one neighbor.. I had looked at Cambodia and Laos but it does look very backpacker-orientated and perhaps not for me (though if someone can convince me they are great places I would consider that too!).

Where do all of you others go for new year, apart from staying home? I am open to suggestions, no matter how strange they may seem.. beats new years here in Wellington, New Zealand.

we go to phuket for one night , fireworks start about 8.oopm and then at 12 the goverment starts their fireworks , great night , then we pack up next morning and go to krabi for our real hoilday

Thanks for the responses so far, yes new years is expected to be more expensive than the rest of the year but things seemed on average about 30% more expensive, so I figured there would be places either that I could celebrate new year a little more low-key and less farang orientated, or somewhere that does not celebrate at all if I cannot find the latter.

The CHiang Mai suggestion does sound nice, I have one of my favourite hotels near to Thapae Gate and really love staying there. I wonder if they will allow me to play my Khaen in the hotel.. or if I shall be asked to leave for disturbing other guests with my country music. ha ha.

Does Chiang Mai usually get an influx of foreigners during this time such as Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket or is it mostly the same as the rest of the year?