Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is wrong to judge someone based only on where they live. Almost as wrong as judging someone based on the color of their skin, accent, or choice of drink. How about judging everyone based on how they act and their character?

you are so right. However, there are who protest at being"judged" even though they are the serial judges of

It is wrong to judge someone based only on where they live. Almost as wrong as judging someone based on the color of their skin, accent, or choice of drink. How about judging everyone based on how they act and their character?

you are so right. However, there are some who protest at being"judged" even though they are the serial judges of cheap Indians, rude Russians and uncouth Chinese.:blink:

Just to add to your crappy op, my wife married a farmer's son. So how's that make you feel? Am I on your low level opinion also? No wonder you have trouble finding friends.

That doesn't make sense. You must be seperated before she got remarried
Does make sense, my father was a farmer.

Farmers in farangland are generally more affluent than in LOS. I too am a farmers son.

me too

Perhaps it makes more sense to call this a compatibility problem rather than a "quality" problem. Before leaving our home countries most of us probably found our friends and acquaintances based on common interests or activities: work, school, church, politics, whatever. Chances are, most of your friendships were cultivated over a long period of time.

Then you move here for whatever reason (work, retirement, etc.) and, all of a sudden, you're mostly alone; at least at first. Finding friends and acquaintances can be problematic because you no longer belong to any of the affinity groups through which you formerly found compatible mates.

It may not be easy to find expats here that are much like the friends you left behind. Of course, it's tempting, but very wrong, to become judgmental and assume that people who are not like you are somehow of lower quality.

I spent most of my adult life on a small island in the Pacific surrounded by friends who were mostly well-educated, liberal professionals; just like me. Like it or not, those are the sorts of people with whom I feel comfortable. The result is, and I know it's my fault, I've ended up with pretty much no friends here in Thailand. I find it very hard to find much in common with the Fox-news-loving, rough-and-tumble, blue collar types that seem to be so prevalent. Again, my fault. I'm sure most of these folks are decent and kind people. It's just that, at first, there seems to be little basis for friendship.

But, again, to call people who think differently from me "low quality" is a horrible mistake.

Ratsima that has got to be one of the most sensible and well balanced posts I have ever read whilst 'skimming' TV. I wish you lived in the North! I too miss the friends made mostly working in an international career spanning 33 years. Now I have retired early I have few friends so have become pretty much a loner but enjoy a healthy and rewarding life with my Thai wife and son. It is just a bit lonely out here in the very rural sticks of the North. Similarly this is my entirely my own fault and my choice, so I am not looking for any sympathy.

To put it into context though I have to say the mostly low quality individuals I did meet in my first 5 years in the LoS have in some part determined where and how I eventually choose to live now. It just seems integrity in a person is something that is sadly lacking these days; one might note however that it has been said that my expectations are far too high. My father always taught me that 'you will always be judged by the company you keep'. I have tried to dodge this advice on a number of occasions and have ended up disappointed with the majority of expat friendships I have attempted to make here in Thailand.

I don't often log on to comment on anything as I really cannot be bothered with the inevitable tirade of responses from those who have an axe to grind no matter what the subject. Far too much hot air in here....... Also I have wondered in the past if some posts are strategically planted by sponsors or advertisers peddling their wares.......

What a great post!

The OP doesnt know his Ranong from his Rayong. So why should take the rest of his diatribe seriously?

Sent from my GT-S7500L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

YAWN

Re-read my OP. I initially said RAYONG, and then said RANONG.

I never confuse Chiang Mai with Chiang Rai. But for some bizarre reason I often say Ranong when I mean Rayong.

A post of mine was removed. I stated that Scotland is a truly magnificent country because it produces truly magnificent people. I then added a list of modern-day Scots who are known and respected the world over.

Now I'm confused ... blink.png

How do you determine the 'Good' Scots from the 'Scum Scots' ?

Referring to Ex-pats ... is there more of one classification then the other?

Clarification please!

• Like 1

It all depends on where you hang out yourself.

If you feel that wealthy farangs or farangs with money are the bees knees, then go to an upscale venue where these people hang out.

Do not go to sleazy beer bars at night and expect to find a lot of high end clientele.

Even the rich farang hanging out at sleazy joints are probably the bottom of the barrel.

To me it doesn't matter how much money one has, as long as they treat other people with respect.

Those are the people I want to encounter on travels or in daily life.

• Like 2

I then added a list of modern-day Scots who are known and respected the world over.

I tried to do the same mate. After 5 hours all I could come up with were the Krankies biggrin.png

the-krankies.jpg

I am the guy who started the thread "my recent trip to Udon".

Unfortunately you are missing the point I made about expats. In this thread you have graded expats entirely on their income. I am only in my forties and have retired early to Thailand as a self made millionaire. However, I do not judge other expats by their net worth, or their salary.

I judge them on their self respect. In Udon, I did not observe a single expat who took pride in himself or his conduct.

Phronesis, don't you know that Thaivisa is secretly known as the Millionaires club? It is a great thing for all of us, so we can exchange news about the latest yacht we bought and other banal things like that. Ok, in all seriousness, why would a millionaire move to Thailand of all places??? I thought Thailand was a shelter for those retirees on small pensions who can afford renting a room with its own bathroom in posh districts like Din Daeng or Chiang Mai and who often have a very narrow knowledge of the world.

• Like 1

So Andrew, as you're such a social expert, I would like you to see where I fit in to your grading system.

I teach at a variety of places, including 3 language schools and a university - all part-time. I also play in a Thai band at a 5 star hotel, as well as corporate functions.

I own a pick-up truck which I bought brand new. I am married to a lovely girl from Trat and are expecting our first baby. I don't quite earn a 6-figure salary, but easily enough to support my young family and tuck enough in the bank each month.

You seem to judge people by how much they earn. If ThaiVisa was a situation comedy, your character would be Margot Ledbetter from BBC's The Good Life: a total snob with no friends!

• Like 1

Perhaps it makes more sense to call this a compatibility problem rather than a "quality" problem. Before leaving our home countries most of us probably found our friends and acquaintances based on common interests or activities: work, school, church, politics, whatever. Chances are, most of your friendships were cultivated over a long period of time.

Then you move here for whatever reason (work, retirement, etc.) and, all of a sudden, you're mostly alone; at least at first. Finding friends and acquaintances can be problematic because you no longer belong to any of the affinity groups through which you formerly found compatible mates.

It may not be easy to find expats here that are much like the friends you left behind. Of course, it's tempting, but very wrong, to become judgmental and assume that people who are not like you are somehow of lower quality.

I spent most of my adult life on a small island in the Pacific surrounded by friends who were mostly well-educated, liberal professionals; just like me. Like it or not, those are the sorts of people with whom I feel comfortable. The result is, and I know it's my fault, I've ended up with pretty much no friends here in Thailand. I find it very hard to find much in common with the Fox-news-loving, rough-and-tumble, blue collar types that seem to be so prevalent. Again, my fault. I'm sure most of these folks are decent and kind people. It's just that, at first, there seems to be little basis for friendship.

But, again, to call people who think differently from me "low quality" is a horrible mistake.

Ratsima that has got to be one of the most sensible and well balanced posts I have ever read whilst 'skimming' TV. I wish you lived in the North! I too miss the friends made mostly working in an international career spanning 33 years. Now I have retired early I have few friends so have become pretty much a loner but enjoy a healthy and rewarding life with my Thai wife and son. It is just a bit lonely out here in the very rural sticks of the North. Similarly this is my entirely my own fault and my choice, so I am not looking for any sympathy.

To put it into context though I have to say the mostly low quality individuals I did meet in my first 5 years in the LoS have in some part determined where and how I eventually choose to live now. It just seems integrity in a person is something that is sadly lacking these days; one might note however that it has been said that my expectations are far too high. My father always taught me that 'you will always be judged by the company you keep'. I have tried to dodge this advice on a number of occasions and have ended up disappointed with the majority of expat friendships I have attempted to make here in Thailand.

I don't often log on to comment on anything as I really cannot be bothered with the inevitable tirade of responses from those who have an axe to grind no matter what the subject. Far too much hot air in here....... Also I have wondered in the past if some posts are strategically planted by sponsors or advertisers peddling their wares.......

What a great post!

As demonstrated in the above posts,Thailand IS full of loners,don't ask me why because I don't know but I spent 2011 in Cebu,Philippines and made lots of new friends.Admittedly the Filipinos are much more outgoing,less xenophobic and speak English 1,000 times better than the Thais but the expats there are nice people.They all have good businesses there and have charisma along with good personalities.

Honestly,saying that it's not your fault that you don't have any friends,you really need to take a long,hard look in the mirror.Of course it's your fault,if it's not your fault then who's is it?rolleyes.gif

A post of mine was removed. I stated that Scotland is a truly magnificent country because it produces truly magnificent people. I then added a list of modern-day Scots who are known and respected the world over.

Now I'm confused ... blink.png

How do you determine the 'Good' Scots from the 'Scum Scots' ?

Referring to Ex-pats ... is there more of one classification then the other?

Clarification please!

Lift up their kilts and if they have quarter-pounders they're Clan McDonald?

Or is that another joke?

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

Do some research about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and share you feelings about american men.

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

Do some research about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and share you feelings about american men.

Maybe it is not quite fair to judge the recent generation of Japanese, American or in that RESPECT(!) for all people to be judged on what their

fathers or even grandfathers did? Opposite perception, I am sure your father was a decent man, does that make you a decent son instantly and everlasting?ermm.gif

Maybe it is not quite fair to judge the recent generation of Japanese, American or in that RESPECT(!) for all people to be judged on what their

fathers or even grandfathers did? Opposite perception, I am sure your father was a decent man, does that make you a decent son instantly and everlasting?ermm.gif

NO

Research Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, The Battle of Wake, Kamakazi pilots and the stated Japanese refusal to ever surrender. Need I go on?

fathers or even grandfathers did? Opposite perception, I am sure your father was a decent man, does that make you a decent son instantly and everlasting?Posted Image

Why not? As an Australian I am constantly reminded my ancestors were convicts

• Like 1

"There's no such thing as Japanese scum in Thailand". So, oh wise one, please enlighten us as to who frequents Baccara in soi Cowboy. Yes, you've just won a coconut - it's the Japanese!

Surely you should do some research before making these assumptions. I bet you'll think twice before posting your thoughts on this site, judging from most of the responses you've received. Popular, aren't you.

I have a better question; where can one go to meet quality Thais?

I recently met a few at an evening hosted for high net worth investors at the Royal Hotel in Phuket. Many of the local banks (and their subsidiaries) have investment roadshows. You will be surprised who will be seated at your table and the food and drinks are free.

where to find quality expats in thailand?

where else? in thaivisa.com

Hahaha best post of the day.... I see all of you guys as soon as one enters "Pattaya" or similar places..... You high quality expats

drinking like maniacs and sitting at your stonetables and understand Thailand and the whole world.....

You need to google to find your way arround, you have no clue without a map were Rayong, Ranong or Ban Phae are

situated.....I am sorry for your schoolbackground.... I do not live in Udon Thani, but it is a bunch of b:llshit you are talking about all the expats there.....

It is easy even for braindead expats in Pattaya, we are all different and there is good people all over the place.... And the same goes for the thai people of course.

What a load of B:llshit.... bottom of the barrel..... top of the barrel........ The one who started this topic is in my eyes at the absolutely bottom of the barrel.

Glegolo