Foreigner Robs Bangkok Suburban Bank

webfact

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is not the German drug trafficker then we may all have a good laugh when it turns out to be an Australian or a North American. coffee1.gif

I think thais believe the world exists only of Europe where farangs come from and Asia where the rest come from. Have a Thai friend who actually thought that America and Australia were in Europe.

----------------

Like some people in London who actually believe that there are "British" and "Europeans" who live on different continents.

That goes back generations!

There was a famous headline in an English newspaper in the thirties which read, "Thick fog in Channel. Europe isolated."

• Like 1

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

Mixing upper and lowercase letters - these words are most likely not written by a native English speaker/writer.

Don't worry, Sherlock's on the case!

Foreigner Robs Bangkok Suburban Bank

Posted Image

Posted Image

(photographs courtesy of Facebook.com)

NONTHABURI: -- Staff in a Nonthaburi bank reported an armed robbery by a foreign man who escaped with over 300,000 Baht on Wednesday.

Described as “European” in appearance, the bank robber queued patiently in the Bangkok Bank in Tesco Lotus, before presenting the cashier with a note, in “semi” English, which told them that he had both a gun and knife and demanded that they give him the money and remain silent , as his getaway driver, on a motorbike, waited for him outside

Thought to be between 35 and 50 and wearing dark sunglasses to avoid instant recognition the man dressed in a blue shirt and denim trousers and put the money in a large bag before leaving hastily and riding away on the back of the waiting bike. [more...]

Full story: http://www.pattaya103.com/foreigner-robs-bangkok-suburban-bank/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2013-05-30

what is "In semi english" ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Not sure why they say the note was written in semi-English apart from the capitols in wrong places....as a demand note, keeping it short and to the point......had there been an "a" in front of "gun" the English would have been fine.

What is Semi English ? The note is written clearly and apart from the wrong use of capital A's in the words hAve And bAg QuieTly huh.png but the teller understood enough English although w00t.gif shocked. She should have put up sorry.gifmfr_closed1.gifwai2.gif next teller pleasecheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Surely their is cctv, why don't the BIB release pictures of the suspect for the press to print on the Thursday?. In all fairness other news sources may have pictures but with pictures it's highly likely they will have Western friends, or better still for the BIB Western enemies.

I wouldn't shop him if I knew who he was..... 'he might not deserve an 'A' but I would give him a B for 'balls'

The missing German has turned up then.

My thoughts also. We may be wrong but there is a least one farang armed robber on the loose in desparate need of cash. If it is the German guy and only if he won't have to worry about being sent to Germany if he is caught.

The german guy is only 25 tho.

Yes, but only Thais look younger than their age. Most foreigners appear at least 10 years older.

Wrong!! Scotsman in a kilt also look younger. They never notice the wrinkles on my face............w00t.gif

• Like 1

Not sure why they say the note was written in semi-English apart from the capitols in wrong places....as a demand note, keeping it short and to the point......had there been an "a" in front of "gun" the English would have been fine.

Well, aren't the English originally very polite and well mannered people even sticking up the little finger when drinking tea?

Hence, any request missing out on the word "please" can only be judged to be semi-English. rolleyes.gif

Thais teach english in schools. That is english, everything else outside of Thailand is semi english also known in some places as pidgin english.smile.png

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

I'm just waiting for some official to utter the: "This is bad for the image of Thailand" comment.

cheesy.gif

No, TAT have already issued a media release stating that this has had effect on tourism and the expected record numbers will be reached.

I see you graduated armed robbery school then.smile.png

I feel pretty certain he was from an English speaking country but trying to appear to be from a non-English speaking country. Someone pointed out already the correct use of the adverb "quietly." A non-English speaker or a less educated English speaker would be more likely to use the adjective, "quiet." The omission of the article "a" was obviously a ruse or an attempt at Thaienglish. A non-English speaker would more likely omit the word "the" which is less used by non-English speakers because they find the "th" difficult to pronounce and seldom use it, even in their writing. Every word is spelled correctly, the grammatical structure is flawless (except for the total omission of punctuation), and the writer had the facility with the alphabet indicative of a lifetime user.

Best guess, an educated North American from east of the Rockies, an eastern Canadian, or a southern Australian. Probably a former school teacher. I don't know much about bank robberies in other countries, but this style of robbery is definitely popular in the U.S.A.

• Like 1

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

Mixing upper and lowercase letters - these words are most likely not written by a native English speaker/writer.

Given the standard of English usage of some UK posters here I have my doubts.

he meant to say quickly not quitely , but couldnt find a translation for the word , besides how much noise is made filling a bag with thousand baht bills , poor teller must have been scared when he realised it would not look good on his resume if he got sacked , the robber needed the knife as a back up in case the gun didnt work if he needed to use it . coffee1.gif

Edited by Scott

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

LoTs OF uS write ThaT waY. No child left behind.

I feel pretty certain he was from an English speaking country but trying to appear to be from a non-English speaking country. Someone pointed out already the correct use of the adverb "quietly." A non-English speaker or a less educated English speaker would be more likely to use the adjective, "quiet." The omission of the article "a" was obviously a ruse or an attempt at Thaienglish. A non-English speaker would more likely omit the word "the" which is less used by non-English speakers because they find the "th" difficult to pronounce and seldom use it, even in their writing. Every word is spelled correctly, the grammatical structure is flawless (except for the total omission of punctuation), and the writer had the facility with the alphabet indicative of a lifetime user.

Best guess, an educated North American from east of the Rockies, an eastern Canadian, or a southern Australian. Probably a former school teacher. I don't know much about bank robberies in other countries, but this style of robbery is definitely popular in the U.S.A.

You think too mutt

• Like 1

I can't wait until this case is showcased on "world's dumbest criminals 26" which is now known as "world's dumbest outlaws". But in the meantime, I can't help but thinking that the economic crisis must have gotten really bad in Europe if you have enough money to afford a ticket to Thailand and then decide to rob a bank here.

I hAVe guN

And KNiFe

Fill The bAg

with MONey

QuieTLy

I think you're being overly optimistic about the educational standards of the average American or British tourist cum bank robber.

The missing German has turned up then.

My thoughts also. We may be wrong but there is a least one farang armed robber on the loose in desparate need of cash. If it is the German guy and only if he won't have to worry about being sent to Germany if he is caught.

The german guy is only 25 tho.

True that, but being on the run ages you.

Correct about his future travel plans. If it is him.

He will eventually get caught or killed & for only 300K Baht I could think of easier places to rob than a bank..

Please elaborate...

These days this kind of violence is so passe - either become a computer hacker like the recent $45 million job done on several continents, or, if you want to go the Full Monty, become a banker!!:)

By the way, could not help but notice the lack of articles and the peculiar penmanship - not only is the culprit not a native English speaker. but he is not used to the European alphabet - meaning an Eastern European is certainly a possibility!wink.png