Swedes Abandon Thailand As Tourist Destination

webfact

Swedes abandon Thailand as tourist destination
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

thailand1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Swedes have given up on Thailand, it seems. The number of trips to what used to be a popular destination has decreased by 25 percent and has slipped from the top-ten list and now comes in at twelfth place.

The past 20 years, Thailand has been a success story when it comes to tourism. In 1992 the Swedes made over 100,000 trips there, and 10 years later in 2002, the number had doubled. 2010 peaked for Sweden-Thailand traveling with 443,000 trips, but in 2011, the number of trips had gone from 430,000 to 323,000 trips.

According to vagabond.se, one reason is probably saturation. Many Swedes have traveled to Thailand for several years and has now become curious about other places, such as the Caribbean and the United States, which travel companies are investing heavily in. Another reason is that Thailand is starting to feel exploited and “normal”, the same fate that befell Mallorca in the 1990’s.

New York has become a popular destination for Swedes, followed by Florida. Interest in the U.S. has increased for several years and has recently been further increased because of the new routes, cheaper fares and perhaps above all a strong crown and thus a cheap dollar, which has made the U.S. into a shopping paradise for the Swedes.

Source: http://scandasia.com/swedes-abandon-thailand-as-tourist-destination/

-- ScandAsia 2013-05-30

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to agree that the Swedes who travel a lot might just have had enough of the holiday resorts and beaches and are seeking out other venues. Perhaps the Thai business people could look into more affordable resorts and beaches as well as off the normal track destinations.

Promote tours. I have seen as many as three tour buses from China at the same time where I live. In the 7 years I have lived here not a one farong bus. I am sure there are some out there but very few.

It has often baffled me why they have to build a five star resort and promote it. There are other resorts that are not five star but have all the amenities. These would be attractive to a lot of people who would write Thailand off as to expensive when all they see is the high end being promoted.

The Thai baht is strong at the moment but I don't think that would affect the year over all. I could be wrong on that.

I am not surprised, the derogatory comments you over hear on flights and at immigration on arrival back in Oz would make you think nobody would come to Thailand , the comments are attributed to the normal complaints, Thai watchers know these, tourists keep coming here, It probably is money and distance. I still like the place who cares.coffee1.gif

Edited by chainarong
  • Like 2

I was holidaying in Ao Nang Krabi in March and the place was packed with Swedes,thousands of them on the beach,in the town of a night,they were by far the most represented Europeans in the resort.

Ao nang at Songkran was Russian & Malaysian (you can fly direct from KL I learnt).

Nothing to do with a failing economy as in most western countries, an awful exchange rate and prices increasing fast due to popularist policies by a useless government ?

Yep the bargirl industry is failing because it's majority of clients pensions have crashed against the baht. The new money tourists here from India, China etc not spending money there. Much cheaper at home for them. Bars now a tourist attraction for backpackers, younger western couples, western women , Indians , arabs , teflers who all nurse one drink for as long as possible and don't pay bar fines.

• Like 1

Most likely a combination of all the above. Still, fads come and go, maybe in five years the Swedes will rediscover Thailand and flock back. Personally, I would keep an eye on those Ozis visiting Thailand. They seem to be causing most of the trouble.

• Like 1

I don't think the baht rate is a big factor, since the Swedish krona has gained almost the same. I brought my cousin here last October, she was horrified by the Russians' behavior at Koh Larn. But she liked Koh Chang.

• Like 1

I dont think that russians are a big factor, I go to pattaya almost every weekend and I only hav met a couple of russians, I think that the reason why aparently the number of sweedes coming to thailand has diclined is because the thai tourist market isnt so attractive as it use to be, people prefer to go to us and the caribbean specially now that the dolar is cheaper than before, Miami, and LA r by far funnier and more attractive smile.png

Edited by Om85
  • Like 1

BAD NEWS FOR THAILAND!

Swedes have been the travel industry trendsetters since the end of the 1950ies. What they do will be followed by all other European's within a few years.

The reasons for leaving Thailand are probably a combination of the following:

• Spain has become cheap
  • US has become cheap
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extremely dirty beaches and cities in Thailand
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extreme corruption in Thailand
I don't believe the Russians are a big problem. They are all over Europe as well.

That's a relief then.

Time for tourist authority of Thailand to investigate the reason !

Have you seen their questionnaires?

1. Do you like Thai food?
  2. Which of the following Thai destinations do you like best?

No way any TAT staffs will ask questions that will tell WHY Swedes (and soon all other Europeans) find other destinations. And even if they ask the right questions, they will never read the results!!!

I remember 30 years ago, before Thailand became Chinese, all results of the questionnaires done by TG or TAT came out with the same answers:

1. Beaches and girls
  2. Food and girls
  3. Mountains and girls
  4. Cheap shopping and girls
  5. Etc and etc and girls

TG sponsored movies like Emmanuelle. Thai women didn't use bra. Thai temples had Thai Buddhas, etc etc...

TG used much money promoting friendly exotic girls as their trade mark and their slogan was SMOOTH AS SILK until the Chinese women at TAT prohibited them from using girls. TG's slogan changed to "We reach for the sky" and all Thai women disappeared from their advertising. SQ said Thank you and copied the campaign with their slogan "Singapore Girl". We all know which is the most popular airline of the two today!

TG and TAT knew what sells Thailand from their research still they decided to deny the most important factor!

I don't say that using Thai women is the right thing today I just want to point on how TG and even more so, TAT read their own research.

And about China... I LOVE Chinese culture but I'm not flying to Thailand to see it!

Time for tourist authority of Thailand to investigate the reason !

Have you seen their questionnaires?

• Do you like Thai food?
  • Which of the following Thai destinations do you like best?
No way any TAT staffs will ask questions that will tell WHY Swedes (and soon all other Europeans) find other destinations. And even if they ask the right questions, they will never read the results!!!

I remember 30 years ago, before Thailand became Chinese, all results of the questionnaires done by TG or TAT came out with the same answers:

• Beaches and girls
  • Food and girls
  • Mountains and girls
  • Cheap shopping and girls
  • Etc and etc and girls
TG sponsored movies like Emmanuelle. Thai women didn't use bra. Thai temples had Thai Buddhas, etc etc...

TG used much money promoting friendly exotic girls as their trade mark and their slogan was SMOOTH AS SILK until the Chinese women at TAT prohibited them from using girls. TG's slogan changed to "We reach for the sky" and all Thai women disappeared from their advertising. SQ said Thank you and copied the campaign with their slogan "Singapore Girl". We all know which is the most popular airline of the two today!

TG and TAT knew what sells Thailand from their research still they decided to deny the most important factor!

I don't say that using Thai women is the right thing today I just want to point on how TG and even more so, TAT read their own research.

And about China... I LOVE Chinese culture but I'm not flying to Thailand to see it!

Chinese women prohibit anything they don't like.

Come to that, so do Chinese men.