Cod Liver Oil

hellodolly

most pharmacies have various choices of cod liver oil.

Often is sweetened and watered down but still a good source of Vit D and DHA

I don't think you can buy straight Vit D3 in Thailand yet so other than eating fish its a good choice to maintain healthy hormones and manage inflammation

You'll need to research this but as I recall it is not advised that adults take cod liver oil during the summer time or during periods where natural sunlight is in abundance, the issue has to do with vitamin D production. There's also a related blood clotting issue, sorry I can't give you more info on this.

You'll need to research this but as I recall it is not advised that adults take cod liver oil during the summer time or during periods where natural sunlight is in abundance, the issue has to do with vitamin D production. There's also a related blood clotting issue, sorry I can't give you more info on this.

Thanks for the warning. I will try to find some thing on it. Yes there is no lack of Vitamin D here in Chiang Mai. Also the blood clotting could be a matter of concern.

My Doctor told me that most of the capsules for fish oil were not that good. She said there was only one that was really good and it was very expensive. Around about 1,500 baht for a 15 day supply. I am actually looking for things like that to help relieve the pain of arthritis. I realize it will still be with me but if I can reduce the pain a little bit I will be able to walk more.

I wish it was my first childhood. I would appreciated it more.smile.png

Thanks for the warning. I will try to find some thing on it. Yes there is no lack of Vitamin D here in Chiang Mai. Also the blood clotting could be a matter of concern.

My Doctor told me that most of the capsules for fish oil were not that good. She said there was only one that was really good and it was very expensive. Around about 1,500 baht for a 15 day supply. I am actually looking for things like that to help relieve the pain of arthritis. I realize it will still be with me but if I can reduce the pain a little bit I will be able to walk more.

I wish it was my first childhood. I would appreciated it more.smile.png

Before I left for school each morning my mother would take out this huge jar of cod liver oil and malt and I had to eat a tablespoon of the stuff, it was mildly pleasant but the fishy smell was off putting, the texture was that of gooey molten toffee. I'd have no problem with the stuff today but back then it was pretty yucky!

I take 1000mg each of Krill Oil and Curcumin a day in softgel form and have no pain from the osteoarthritis in my hands & knees.

I also take one sachet per day of Coxium, available from most pharmacies.

Tumeric (Curcumin) is produced in Thailand, eBay is your friend for Krill.

Edited by Saraphee

The powers that be keep raising the recommended levels of Vitamin "D" so that may or may not be an issue. However all fish oils not just cod liver oil have an effect on blood clotting. Would recommend that people with cardiac and certain cancers talk with a doctor before taking them.

Off subject topic slightly but health related, anyone seen flax seeds in Bangkok?

Rimping ,Nim City, near Airport Plaza, 116 baht ,450 gm.To get the full benefit put daily needs through a coffee bean grinder otherwise 90% will just pass through your body as a whole seed....good stuff, high in Omega 3.

yeah come to think of it the Pharmacies might just have fish oil mixture...

Might have to order CLO in from the US or AU etc

Fish oil maybe not as effective

If you are after improving your health then krill oil is far superior and doesn't have all of the chemicals and contaminants that cod liver oil has!!

Looked at a bottle of cod liver oil and it had sucrose frutcose and I stoped reading. Wouind up with fish oil capsules containg

1,000 mg of fishoil

300mg of Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA)

200mg of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)

And some kind of herb tea at the Chinese pharmacies in the wararrot market

Not sure of that but I will give it a try.

A successful pain killer for arthritis is Arthrotec 50 gastro resistant tablets, contains dichlorphenac sodium which reduces the inflammation which causes the pain.

A good long term help is glucosamine, which helps regenerate joint cartilage.

A successful pain killer for arthritis is Arthrotec 50 gastro resistant tablets, contains dichlorphenac sodium which reduces the inflammation which causes the pain.

Diclofenac sodium is a nsaid and should not be taken except upon the advice of a medical doctor.

Off subject topic slightly but health related, anyone seen flax seeds in Bangkok?

Rimping ,Nim City, near Airport Plaza, 116 baht ,450 gm.To get the full benefit put daily needs through a coffee bean grinder otherwise 90% will just pass through your body as a whole seed....good stuff, high in Omega 3.

About 960 kilometres from Bangkok though.

• Like 1

Diclofenac sodium is a nsaid and should not be taken except upon the advice of a medical doctor.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2042619/Painkiller-heart-attack-risk-Dont-stop-taking-Diclofenac-pills-talk-GP.html

FOR ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast, they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated) practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because of arthritis now started walking without pain.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

About 960 kilometres from Bangkok though.

Apologies, obviously didnt pick it up thought this was the CM forum...Try Foodland or supermarkets in the various big MALLS Bangkapi etc.

I don't think you can buy straight Vit D3 in Thailand yet so other than eating fish its a good choice to maintain healthy hormones and manage inflammation

The natural way of stimulating vitamin D, unless you suffer from skin cancer, is by putting on a pair of shorts and a tank top and getting out into the sun every day at midday, for 10 minutes if you are fair skinned. The UV-B rays in the sunlight stimulate your skin to produce vitamin D from the cholesterol in your body. If you wear shorts and a shirt and spend time out of doors every day, chances are you are already getting enough vitamin D this way. Supplemental vitamin D is mainly for those who spend all their time indoors or live far up in the hemispheres where sun exposure during the winter months is not enough to induce this skin reaction.

FOR ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot

water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon

powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a

recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found

that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one

tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast,

they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated)

practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a

month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because

of arthritis now started walking without pain.

This appears to be an internet rumour that started in the mid nineties. Real cinnamon and honey are healthy in various ways, but they do not cure arthritis. Mass produced honey brands these days are often no healthier than eating syrup. Also, if you heat up real honey above 40 degrees Celsius, you kill the beneficial enzymes, so pouring honey in your boiling hot tea is a bad idea. Try some other way of ingesting it.

http://www.arthritisselfmanagement.com/condition/osteoarthritis/cinnamon-and-honey-for-oa-pain/

Fish oil is a good idea for many reasons (brain health too) but storage and transport is a concern. Just make sure it is not rancid (open a capsule and taste it, if it tastes like fish fat it's fine, if it smells like shrimp shells in the hot sun, it is rancid).

What Chinese herb(s) was in the tea - do you have a Latin or Thai name?

Also, fish oil thins out your blood so you should not be taking it if you are on anticoagulant medication like warfarin, and you should give up taking it at least 3 days before surgery to avoid excessive bleeding.

The natural way of stimulating vitamin D, unless you suffer from skin cancer, is by putting on a pair of shorts and a tank top and getting out into the sun every day at midday, for 10 minutes if you are fair skinned. The UV-B rays in the sunlight stimulate your skin to produce vitamin D from the cholesterol in your body. If you wear shorts and a shirt and spend time out of doors every day, chances are you are already getting enough vitamin D this way. Supplemental vitamin D is mainly for those who spend all their time indoors or live far up in the hemispheres where sun exposure during the winter months is not enough to induce this skin reaction.

Definitely some limiting assumptions in that approach.

There are a lot more factors than that like age, conversion efficiency and fat malabsorption. Why guess? Just get serum levels checked and adjust from there.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional/

It's not super cheap test but worthwhile . Available at MTLabs in Chiang Mai

Vitamin D 25-OH Serum test 30 to 100 ng/mi 2500 baht

Compared to buying Salmon/Cod etc and supplements it's quite inexpensive

post-27132-0-31559200-1370059539_thumb.j

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie

I appreciate the concern about dichlorfenac, but it is often useful for short term relief, under the supervision of a medical practitioner, of course.

For a long term solution, I was also suggesting glucosamine, especially if taken in conjunction with chondroitin sulphate and MSM.

http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/herbsvitaminsek/a/Glucosamine.htm

Several observations.

1 No I don;t know the name of the tea I was given a five day supply and told to come back I will ask the name then. It came in packages that had to be boiled and there was several different things in them. I was told to come back after the 5 day supply ran out. Not sure if I will or not as they were 360 baht.

2 There are so many types of honey in the local honey store that I wonder what type they are talking about. Besides I read that if you are diabetic and I am it is worse for you than refined sugar.

3 I see cinnamon has been mentioned I believe it is supposed to be good for the blood. I have a friend who takes a capsule after every meal and says he no longer needs his diabetic pill after a meal

4 I have written down the suggested medications and will definatly talk to my doctor about them. Thanks to the people who have recommended them,

Vitamen D is easy to get here in Chiang Mai even though I am limited in how much I can walk I get at least ten minutes a day.

Pure Cod liver oil not going to happen to much other stuff in it.

But if any one knows of a source for pure Cod liver oil I would appreciate it. Maybe no more on the market due to the over fishing of cod.

I appreciate the concern about dichlorfenac, but it is often useful for short term relief, under the supervision of a medical practitioner, of course.

For a long term solution, I was also suggesting glucosamine, especially if taken in conjunction with chondroitin sulphate and MSM.

I was going to start another thread on MSM it made a world of difference for my brother. When he started adding it to his glucosamine and chondroitin.

When I ask in the pharmacies they just look at me like I had grown another head. Maybe if I knew the full medical name for it.

^ It could simply be because the Thai pronunciation differs too much from how you say it.

Print the below text out (straight from Thai Wikipedia) and bring to the pharmacy.

ไดโคลฟีแนค (อังกฤษ: Diclofenac) เป็นยาประเภท เอ็นเซด (NSAID) มีฤทธิ์ลด การอักเสบ ในโรค ข้ออักเสบ (arthritis) หรือ การบาดเจ็บ ชนิดเฉียบพลัน และสามารถใช้ลดอาการปวด ประจำเดือน

ชื่อทางการค้า

ในท้องตลาดมีชื่อทางการค้าดังนี้

• โวลทาเรน® (Voltaren)
  • โวลทารอล® (Voltarol)
  • คาทาแฟลม® (Cataflam)

^ It could simply be because the Thai pronunciation differs too much from how you say it.

Print the below text out (straight from Thai Wikipedia) and bring to the pharmacy.

ไดโคลฟีแนค (อังกฤษ: Diclofenac) เป็นยาประเภท เอ็นเซด (NSAID) มีฤทธิ์ลด การอักเสบ ในโรค ข้ออักเสบ (arthritis) หรือ การบาดเจ็บ ชนิดเฉียบพลัน และสามารถใช้ลดอาการปวด ประจำเดือน

ชื่อทางการค้า

ในท้องตลาดมีชื่อทางการค้าดังนี้

• โวลทาเรน® (Voltaren)
  • โวลทารอล® (Voltarol)
  • คาทาแฟลม® (Cataflam)

Thanks I will give it a try,

>FOR ARTHRITIS: Arthritis patients can benefit by taking one cup of hot

water with two tablespoons of honey and one small teaspoon of cinnamon

powder. When taken daily even chronic arthritis can be cured. In a

recent research conducted at the Copenhagen University, it was found

that when the doctors treated their patients with a mixture of one

tablespoon Honey and half teaspoon Cinnamon powder before breakfast,

they found that within a week (out of the 200 people so treated)

practically 73 patients were totally relieved of pain -- and within a

month, most all the patients who could not walk or move around because

of arthritis now started walking without pain.

This appears to be an internet rumour that started in the mid nineties. Real cinnamon and honey are healthy in various ways, but they do not cure arthritis. Mass produced honey brands these days are often no healthier than eating syrup. Also, if you heat up real honey above 40 degrees Celsius, you kill the beneficial enzymes, so pouring honey in your boiling hot tea is a bad idea. Try some other way of ingesting it.

http://www.arthritisselfmanagement.com/condition/osteoarthritis/cinnamon-and-honey-for-oa-pain/

Fish oil is a good idea for many reasons (brain health too) but storage and transport is a concern. Just make sure it is not rancid (open a capsule and taste it, if it tastes like fish fat it's fine, if it smells like shrimp shells in the hot sun, it is rancid).

What Chinese herb(s) was in the tea - do you have a Latin or Thai name?

Also, fish oil thins out your blood so you should not be taking it if you are on anticoagulant medication like warfarin, and you should give up taking it at least 3 days before surgery to avoid excessive bleeding.

I try to get exposure when the sun is the strongest so I can get more Vitamin D, but that advice is based on North American latitudes. In Chiang Mai we are at 18.8 degrees North Latitude, far south of Florida, the southernmost extremity of the U.S., so we can get the same angle of sun by going out earlier or later than midday by a few hours. Also, I've read recently that with the sun at even a 30 degree angle of the sun to the horizon humans can harvest the beneficial UVBs, whereas before researchers were saying you needed at least a 45 degree angle to get significant UVBs along with the harmful UVAs.

I can stay out much, much longer and safely get sun exposure because I take astaxanthin, which is also in krill oil but not in large quantities. It's an anti-oxidant that neutralizes free radicals near the skin surface causes by sun exposure. It's good for brain function, etc. as well. Take with a shot of coconut oil for maximum benefit since it's fat soluble.

I was going to start another thread on MSM it made a world of difference for my brother. When he started adding it to his glucosamine and chondroitin.

When I ask in the pharmacies they just look at me like I had grown another head. Maybe if I knew the full medical name for it.

MSM is methylsulfonylmethane...

Try that in Thai...lol

• Like 1