Convert Non-O Marriage Visa to Non-O Retirement Visa

Posted (edited)

I'm contemplating to convert my Marriage Visa to a Retirement Visa when my Marriage Visa's extension expires next year in April. I have been on the Non-O Marriage Visa for over 6 years now in Bangkok. The main reason for the change is that I feel the paperwork for a Retirement Visa is less fussy than those for a Marriage visa eg house photos, wife to be present, update Kor Ror 22 etc. I'm okay with the increased proof of funds from THB400K to THB800K.

Appreciate if anyone can provide me the following:

1. Procedures in converting from Marriage to Retirement, including forms, documents, time frames etc

2. We live in a house that is in my wife's name. How do I prove my accommodation address under the Retirement Visa process? Do I need to sign a rental agreement with my wife?

3. Any other advice or experience in this conversion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Lucian
typo

You are simply changing the reason your extension is based upon. 

Your wife will need to attend along with you having 800k in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months prior to application.

Copy of wife's house book registry and ID card should be sufficient for address. They may require her to do a TM30. 

• Thanks 1

Just be aware that your first extension of stay based on retirement will be dated 12 months from when you apply for it rather than your current permission to stay. Subsequent extensions will, however, be dated 12 months from your current permission to stay.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are simply changing the reason your extension is based upon. 

Your wife will need to attend along with you having 800k in Thai bank account in your name only for 2 months prior to application.

Copy of wife's house book registry and ID card should be sufficient for address. They may require her to do a TM30. 

So.. around 45 days prior to the expiration of my marriage visa, I just go to CW and apply for a retirement visa, sans the house photos and marriage cert but with THB800K proof of funds banked in two months prior. If I have a House Book (in my name) of a condo, can I use that for address purposes and no need for my wife to be present at CW?

8 hours ago, Lucian said:

If I have a House Book (in my name) of a condo, can I use that for address purposes and no need for my wife to be present at CW?

The address that you use must be in province of where you do your extension, TM47 reports etc.

The wife needs to be with you for first extension based on retirement having previously been based on marriage. 

Subsequent extensions, wife not required.

• Thanks 1