Ford Ranger Based Suv

JoeW

Seen a few images around the web, most of which hint at Explorer/Territory styling. If Ford were to bring out something like the Explorer in Thailand within same price bracket of a Tuna or Trailblazer would you have one? smile.png

post-30245-0-75012400-1369914444_thumb.j

Seen a few images around the web, most of which hint at Explorer/Territory styling. If Ford were to bring out something like the Explorer in Thailand within same price bracket of a Tuna or Trailblazer would you have one? smile.png

attachicon.gifFord+Explorer+2011+image.jpg

The one on the image looks very cool and not the one in OP's link which must be a miscarriage.

Mazda is by the way launching a SUV later this year in the compact size.

Looks like a test mule made up of a mix of Ranger and Territory parts, so no reason to suspect the images have been doctored. Don't forget that the T6 Ranger test mule looked like an old Mazda B2200 that had exploded ;)

Looks like a test mule made up of a mix of Ranger and Territory parts, so no reason to suspect the images have been doctored. Don't forget that the T6 Ranger test mule looked like an old Mazda B2200 that had exploded wink.png

Still does.w00t.gif

• Like 1

Interesting to see it is at an evaluation stage. I suspect this one is made for suspension tests ( given the article stated the rear suspension is hidden) The fact it has a territory rear end bolted on would be to give it the wheelbase needed. I am glad it will be shorter than the ute.

A 3.2 litre Ranger based SUV with territory rear suspension could be good.

The styling will be any bodies guess at this stage but I think it will have a Ranger front end with more bling and possibly share some Territory parts on the rear end?

I am selling my Hilux and waiting for this to come out when I hope to Trade my Fiesta in on one. Unless of course the new Fortuna is better which it may well be.

Interesting to see it is at an evaluation stage. I suspect this one is made for suspension tests ( given the article stated the rear suspension is hidden) The fact it has a territory rear end bolted on would be to give it the wheelbase needed. I am glad it will be shorter than the ute.

A 3.2 litre Ranger based SUV with territory rear suspension could be good.

The styling will be any bodies guess at this stage but I think it will have a Ranger front end with more bling and possibly share some Territory parts on the rear end?

I am selling my Hilux and waiting for this to come out when I hope to Trade my Fiesta in on one. Unless of course the new Fortuna is better which it may well be.

Well seeing as it's been in development now since mid 2011, so test mule stage feels a little overdue.. It's not like they're designing an all-new platform like they did in the original T6 program..

As for front styling, sources say that it will have unique front metal to the Ranger, which suggests more than just a bumper & headlight change. Coil springs in the rear are a gimme this time around, but it's highly unlikely it will get IRS.

Todd Hoevener who lead the US Explorer redesign (pictured above by Ungubunga) is also in charge of the T6 SUV program, so here's hoping it's gets more of an American flavor, rather than that ugly-duckling Territory look.

What's the chance it will have a 3.2 when we can't even get a 3.2 ranger? The suv will be heavier and a 2.2 might well struggle with the extra weight, or will it?

The Ranger is already as heavy as most other PPV's on the market, but dropping half a meter off it's length should help a bit when converting it to a wagon.

Here's hoping it becomes something special and not a parts bin mash up.

They better hurry, Ford Australia is closing in 2016.

Only manufacturing of two models no-one wants anyway (Falcon and Territory) is stopping in 2016. Ford design centers will live on.

Seen a few images around the web, most of which hint at Explorer/Territory styling. If Ford were to bring out something like the Explorer in Thailand within same price bracket of a Tuna or Trailblazer would you have one? Posted Image

Posted ImageFord+Explorer+2011+image.jpg

The one on the image looks very cool and not the one in OP's link which must be a miscarriage.

Mazda is by the way launching a SUV later this year in the compact size.  

Mazda's soon to be launched compact SUV would be the CX5.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

If the carry on the T6 styling (and NOT BT-50 styling!) on the arse-end, it could look quite nice. The sculpted door lines on the new Ranger make for a sleeker look versus the 'tuna's rather bloated, tubby appearance. Same goes for the Territory. Using the shorter wheelbase and claiming 7-seat capacity is the same as the 'tuna which translates as 7-seats and no room for bugger all baggage. I remember seeing a Vigo p/u a few years back that had been customised with a Fortuner's back end whilst retaining the p/u wheelbase. Not a Carryboy bodge; more in line with those custom Thairung bodies that can be planted on certain Isuzu's. It looked nice, long and sleek and probably could SLEEP seven!

If the carry on the T6 styling (and NOT BT-50 styling!) on the arse-end, it could look quite nice. The sculpted door lines on the new Ranger make for a sleeker look versus the 'tuna's rather bloated, tubby appearance. Same goes for the Territory. Using the shorter wheelbase and claiming 7-seat capacity is the same as the 'tuna which translates as 7-seats and no room for bugger all baggage. I remember seeing a Vigo p/u a few years back that had been customised with a Fortuner's back end whilst retaining the p/u wheelbase. Not a Carryboy bodge; more in line with those custom Thairung bodies that can be planted on certain Isuzu's. It looked nice, long and sleek and probably could SLEEP seven!

Yep - full length would be awesome, but that would almost certainly require a 3.2L engine.. pity they don't have any for sale ;)

The first website linked says that these are just some images of a clay model that have leaked out of China, and that they really don't know whether they are indicative of the T6 Everest design or not - i.e. they're just speculating... It would seem odd that real images of the final clay model would leak from China when it's being developed in Australia though...

Our sources now say that the Everest cosmetic design has now been signed off on though, so it shouldn't be too long before we see some public spyshots with neoprene covers on ;)

Let's hope it looks better than all the images (real or not) we have seen uh. I just wish we could get the explorer. The second it comes out I would book it :)