Thai Democrats Reveal Discrepancies In Education Budget

webfact

Democrats reveal discrepancies in education budget
Khanittha Thepphajorn,
Pravit Rojanaphruk
The Nation

30207259-01_big.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra takes the stand at Parliament as scrutiny of the budget bill entered a second day yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- Deputy Education Minister Sermsak Pongpanich yesterday claimed that the Bt2.34 billion sought by the ministry for the procurement of school vans was a mistype, as the actual funds sought were Bt1.23 billion.

Sermsak was responding to allegations by Democrat MP Jurit Laksanavisit, who said there were several discrepancies in the Education Ministry's plan to buy 1,000 12-seat diesel vans for school children.

For instance, he said, the market price for a 12-seat diesel van was Bt956,000, but the ministry had set the median price for bidding at Bt1.2 million per van. Worse yet, he said, the ministry was seeking an exact sum of Bt2,343.724 million for the 1,000 vans, which would price each van at Bt2,343,724. Jurit noted that the price of a vehicle was usually rounded off and the last two digits are zero instead of 24 as proposed by the ministry.

"This is very suspicious, so I would like to call this project a way of wasting students' money," Jurit said.

In response, Sermsak said that the median price for each van was indeed Bt1.2 million, but the request budget for the project should have been Bt1,232.4 million instead of Bt2,343.724 million as stated in the Education Ministry's part of the 2014 budget bill.

"It was a typing error," Sermsak told the House.

"There are errors at several spots so the MPs were given incorrect information. In fact, the ministry is seeking B1,232.4 million for buying 1,000 vehicles at the price of Bt1,232,400 for each vehicle."

He said 850 vans would be delivered to 850 outstanding schools at the tambon level and the remaining 150 vans would be given to small schools, which have been merged in the pilot project to dissolve small schools.

Also during the debate, Education Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana insisted that the government would provide Bt5 billion to support research projects at state universities.

Meanwhile, both sides in Parliament were seen standing firm and offering starkly different views of the government's proposed Bt2.2-trillion in mega-projects.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra insisted her administration was doing what it can to narrow the income gap, while Democrat MPs took turns in telling the House they did not trust the government. They also voiced opposition to several of the Pheu Thai-led administration's policies, particularly the minimum-wage increase, which they say has led to higher costs of living.

Apirak Kosayodhin, deputy Democrat leader, told the House yesterday that the cost of basic necessities had risen dramatically as a result of the minimum daily wage being increased to Bt300. He said a simple plate of rice and curry now costs between Bt35 and Bt45, while the price of eggs, limes and other basic commodities has also risen considerably. Apirak added that though the government had pledged to set up 10,000 subsidised groceries across the Kingdom, so far only 6,800 were ready.

Apirak said that judging from previous failures, the government did not deserve the amount it was seeking. Another Democrat MP asked whether the administration would introduce progressive property and inheritance taxes.

However, Yingluck said it was her government's priority to address the problem of income disparity and boost people's quality of life by granting equal access to state welfare schemes.

She insisted that proposed high-speed train projects would create more jobs and spread opportunities. "Thailand needs proper infrastructure development, something we have not done for a long time," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-31

Somewhere in the entire government budget, one would think that a few baht would be appropriated for a proofreader. But then again, one proofreader would probably delay all government "business" indefinitely.

Edited by jaltsc

Pesky little typing errors. Most Thai's I've seen use the numeric keypad for number entry. 123 is in line on the bottom, typing 234 you have to go out of your way as it is on two different rows.

• Like 2

This needs to be studied further than the budget misprint, the main worry is the 1000 school busses, what condition are they going to be mechanically after two years being flogged by sub standard drivers and are there maintenance programs in place to ensure the safety of student travel, they can't get the budget right what else isn't right.coffee1.gif shades of I pads.

"It was a typing error," Sermsak told the House"

It's literally this easy to try your hand at corruption.

I am flabbergasted. I mean really. It is that easy. blink.png

I think you will find that it was an honest mistake, it happens all the time.w00t.gif

• Like 1

Should have been 123 but typed 234?

I guess it could easily have been 345 or 456. Easy as abc to make typo errors.

Indeed, it shows how much of the money will actually be used for what it is intended for as they just make a wild guess at the numbers .

• Like 1

Sorry, but just a gross error calculation in your head would have told him he was asking for double what he intended, if indeed it was a typo. I wonder how many more billions have been whisked off to someones bank account in Switzerland because of a typo?

• Like 1

Interesting that the EXACT vehicle price is known, so I must assume that a tender process has been carried out, and the vehicle manufacturer and the specifications are now known.

Why then are these not released in the name of transparency so that the Opposition and the public can satisfy themselves that the price is reasonable?

• Like 2

Should have been 123 but typed 234?

I guess it could easily have been 345 or 456. Easy as abc to make typo errors.

That typing error would have been to obvious and the risk would have been to high that they would get caught.

I would never have believed it rolleyes.gif .

''Oh, do we have a list of bank account destinations'' ?

''Eeeeeer, yes, there are 234, eeeeeeeeeer no, now the baht figure has been found to be wrong the number of bank accounts is eeeeeeeeeeer, hmmmmmmmmm 1''..........................smile.png

This is only one item in one ministries budget.

How many more typing errors are there in the rest of the budget?

You would think it would be part of the ministers job to check the budget of his ministry before it was presented to the house.

But in this case that couldn't happen because the ministers know nothing about their portfolios as they are only in the job as some sort of reward for previous services rendered to the reds or the big boss, and not to forget the smaller parties who must be given a lick at the honey pot for going along with PT

No excuse for the typos...smacks corruption but for the price being over the one stated by opposition--the specs for each van/pictures with any upgrades should be stated.

Have you ever seen how fancy the vans are for the various ministries? I have been in two ministries vans--transporting us out of town to (junkets...I mean seminars at resorts) to teach them advanced business English skills when most of the staff attending can't even conduct a running conversation in basic English).

The vans I've been in had an enhanced stereo system, tv screen for the driver--very scary, separate GPS--never seen them use it (we got lost once--another story)tv screen for rear passengers, big very plush leather seats( large enough for even some of the large farang butts i've seen here!...so why do small Thais need gigantic seats?),real burlwood every where you could put it--on the ceiling no less! The upgrade list goes on and on--really unnecessary in my opinion. This could be why they are paying above the standard van price. When not transporting the kiddies to from schools/ the admin staff spouses could be transported in style for shopping...just saying a possibility.

Interesting that the EXACT vehicle price is known, so I must assume that a tender process has been carried out, and the vehicle manufacturer and the specifications are now known.

Why then are these not released in the name of transparency so that the Opposition and the public can satisfy themselves that the price is reasonable?

Seeing that the opposition are feel qualified to comment the government plan and quote the median price from it you would have to assume that they have seen it - otherwise they are making things up as they go along. Sounds transparent to me.

On a side issue when you're at home in Oz do you expect to see every purchase that the government makes made available to the public? Just to get some perspective you see.

• Like 1

"It was a typing error," Sermsak told the House"

It's literally this easy to try your hand at corruption.

I am flabbergasted. I mean really. It is that easy. blink.png

I think you will find that it was an honest mistake, it happens all the time.w00t.gif

And it's just a coincidence that the mistake always just happens to make the number larger.... never smaller.

• Like 2

You can fool some of the people some of the time..........

You can fool some people all of the time......

I'm not sure this government is even capable of that. Even the most loyal red shirts (not the salaried ones of course) are questioning what is going on.

The nonsense like that in this article beggars belief. No wonder Yingluck can't get any takers to invest in Dawei. She must think all governments are as inept as hers.

So, they are closing 14,000 schools (and this was announced one week before schools opened) and they are replacing them with 150 vans. That comes out to about 1 van per 93 schools that were closed.

I guess that the kids in 92 out of 93 closed schools will just have to walk.

You can fool some of the people some of the time..........

You can fool some people all of the time......

I'm not sure this government is even capable of that. Even the most loyal red shirts (not the salaried ones of course) are questioning what is going on.

The nonsense like that in this article beggars belief. No wonder Yingluck can't get any takers to invest in Dawei. She must think all governments are as inept as hers.

"I'm not sure this government is even capable of that. Even the most loyal red shirts (not the salaried ones of course) are questioning what

is going on"

A few hours of Brainwashing by Thaksin might get them back onto the RIGHT track. It's not a coincidence that Thaksin spoke for an hour during last week's (May 21) rally at R' Prasong. I am expecting another phone in soon.

"The nonsense like that in this article beggars belief. No wonder Yingluck can't get any takers to invest in Dawei. She must think all

governments are as inept as hers"

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Nickymaster

Well, now here comes another solution practices by international schools in Bangkok for decades. Why run an own fleet with drivers, bus girls and what-have-yous if you can outsource the scope.
Criteria at the RIS Swiss Section was and still is today:

- safe vehicle not older than four years
- vehicle properly maintained and being spot-checked by a (most pro bono German mechanic of Mercedes or Volkswagen
- safety belts for all kiddies; all kids buckled up
- driver with valid drivers license (externally checked)
- bus guide ensuring discipline on the van; ensuring safe loading/unloading of pupils
Failure would result in a HUGE fine; luckily never paid and Messrs. Krauthaummer were never tempted to take a financial token of appreciation.

Costs were born by parents and clocked at less than THB 100/day (both ways that is with same-time arrival and three different departures, depending on grades and classes finishing).

Montri Transport got the contract and keeps up the good work; the system made Montri a millionaire by providing a good, correctly-priced service for tens of thousands of pupils.

And if you go shopping for a 1'000 van-ticket; the price might be slighly lower than tagged in the showroom.

POUFFFFFFF - the dream is over; we are in Thailand and taking about the government ruling the lousiest education system in Asia on the procurement of school vans. How stupid of me; international schools are lousier than the Thai system and hence the Thai system MUST cost more to ensure MPs lining their pockets again and yep, Somsak will be able to do the little private side trips to Som Tam fairs over the weekends to ensure the van returns smelling like a garbage can on wheels! How pathetic is this in the 21st century.

So this is 1.23 billion coming out of the education budget for vans because of school closures.

What is the rest of that little exercise going to cost?

Whatever, it is it is all money that could and should be spent on improving education and the standard of teaching.

Don't know if closing, (watered down to merging now, whatever that entails, like pushing the buildings together) will improve the education of the kids involved or not.

But the whole thing should never have been announced (to make it look like the minister was doing something)

If there was, is, a case for merging some of the smaller rural schools, in order to improve education, then it should have been done with consultation with locals and parents of the schools involved and only after agreement has been reached that it will improve education levels.

Not by some announcement from BKK.

Still haven't heard where the funds for the tablets is coming from, the education budget of an off the books loan from a broke Govt bank.