Thai Democrats Reveal Discrepancies In Education Budget

webfact

Deputy Education Minister Sermsak Pongpanich yesterday claimed that the Bt2.34 billion sought by the ministry for the procurement of school vans was a mistype, as the actual funds sought were Bt1.23 billion.

The incompetence of these morons appointed by Yingluck knows no bounds.

Interesting that the EXACT vehicle price is known, so I must assume that a tender process has been carried out, and the vehicle manufacturer and the specifications are now known.

Why then are these not released in the name of transparency so that the Opposition and the public can satisfy themselves that the price is reasonable?

They should do what the Nth Territory dose OzMick, all tenders are advertised in the Sat/Sun papers , who is tendering, how much and who has been awarded a contract, then Everybody knows, this came about because of some shonky goins on in the NT at one time.

"It was a typing error," Sermsak told the House"

It's literally this easy to try your hand at corruption.

Typing error, my foot!!!

How rediculous, they cannot be allowed to get away with this surely.

Its like me robbing a bank and then claiming I thought it was an Indian takeaway and it was an honest error in making that hole in the wall, it was simply because I was so hungry and nobody was more surprised than me when there wasn't someone inside to take my order!!!

• Like 1

Interesting that the EXACT vehicle price is known, so I must assume that a tender process has been carried out, and the vehicle manufacturer and the specifications are now known.

Why then are these not released in the name of transparency so that the Opposition and the public can satisfy themselves that the price is reasonable?

Seeing that the opposition are feel qualified to comment the government plan and quote the median price from it you would have to assume that they have seen it - otherwise they are making things up as they go along. Sounds transparent to me.

On a side issue when you're at home in Oz do you expect to see every purchase that the government makes made available to the public? Just to get some perspective you see.

It would seem transparent to an apologist. The Opposition being aware of the set median price, well above retail, does not indicate transparency to me.

And yes, I would expect that a FOI request would make this information available in Oz, and that it would be freely available to the Opposition.

Me? I've got nothing to apologise for. The government can quite legitimately stand up for themselves , why do they need apologists.

So after your dig at the poster shall we discuss the content? It should be plainly obvious to anyone that when it is written that the opposition has quoted figures from the government plan that they have seen it. You disagree. Fine. And now we come to the transparency - that means in your country, filling out a form in a request for information, which may or may not be granted, and eventually you receive the info. After over 150 years of democracy. This is Thailand with its flawed democracy, yet you and your peers demand, presumably on behalf of the local inhabitants, instant information on every piece of government business they undertake lest you all bleat corruption without any proof whatsoever.

Does that sound reasonable to you? If you or your peers have proof of corruption, fair enough, give it the NACC, give it to the Dems, but please don't expect me to believe every cry of corruption based purely on hearsay or assumption.

BANGKOK: -- The Office of Basic Education Commission (Obec) bowed to public pressure yesterday, with Obec secretary-general Chinnapat Bhumirat announcing no small schools would be closed this academic year. Instead, pupils will be moved between 1,000 schools to get more efficient use of facilities.

Full story: http://www.thaivisa....-sites-o-b-e-c/

Does this mean they wont need the vans then?

Oh no they will probably need more if they are going to move kids between 1,000 different schools.

Seeing that the opposition are feel qualified to comment the government plan and quote the median price from it you would have to assume that they have seen it - otherwise they are making things up as they go along. Sounds transparent to me.

On a side issue when you're at home in Oz do you expect to see every purchase that the government makes made available to the public? Just to get some perspective you see.

It would seem transparent to an apologist. The Opposition being aware of the set median price, well above retail, does not indicate transparency to me.

And yes, I would expect that a FOI request would make this information available in Oz, and that it would be freely available to the Opposition.

Me? I've got nothing to apologise for. The government can quite legitimately stand up for themselves , why do they need apologists.

So after your dig at the poster shall we discuss the content? It should be plainly obvious to anyone that when it is written that the opposition has quoted figures from the government plan that they have seen it. You disagree. Fine. And now we come to the transparency - that means in your country, filling out a form in a request for information, which may or may not be granted, and eventually you receive the info. After over 150 years of democracy. This is Thailand with its flawed democracy, yet you and your peers demand, presumably on behalf of the local inhabitants, instant information on every piece of government business they undertake lest you all bleat corruption without any proof whatsoever.

Does that sound reasonable to you? If you or your peers have proof of corruption, fair enough, give it the NACC, give it to the Dems, but please don't expect me to believe every cry of corruption based purely on hearsay or assumption.

We are not talking about the general public.

We are talking about an Opposition Mp in Parliament discussing a close house debate on the 2014 fiscal policy.

So i would say that yes they have the figures at hand and yes as an Opposition they are qualified t ask questions about sad fiscal policy.

And would also say that with the van specifications in hand it would not be very hard to find a price for said vehicle.. It seems that the Democrats did this and the price is 230k baht cheaper..

ps: if as you infer the Democrats have NOT got the van specifications etc... what are they discussing.. Give us some money for some vans that may or may not be 1,234.00 b.

Wow.. i hope not otherwise it's worse than any one could imagine..

Edited by thaicbr

Could you please have another go so that I can try to fathom out what this insane gibberish is all about!!! blink.pngblink.png.

(Addressed to amore).

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

In case anyone wants to argue about Yingluck still being in parliament have a look on P 39 of todays news at :

House passes 2014 Budget Bill's first reading

Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong made a closing statement on
behalf of absent Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, currently taking an
overseas trip,

• Like 1

except for the NBN, NDIS, Gonski and the myriad of other schemes.

Edited by Mudcrab

yingluck was actually sitting in her parliamentary chair and no one has commented on itcheesy.gifcheesy.gif , this must be a good story then

Do you think Chalerm sniffed it, wouldn't put it past him, then a fine port with some cheese and crackers.

For instance, he said, the market price for a 12-seat diesel van was Bt956,000, but the ministry had set the median price for bidding at Bt1.2 million per van.

If I am interpreting this correctly, the government is willing to pay 244,000 baht over market price for the vans, why?

He said 850 vans would be delivered to 850 outstanding schools at the tambon level and the remaining 150 vans would be given to small schools, which have been merged in the pilot project to dissolve small schools.

I hate to nit pick but are they giving 150 vans to schools they plan to dissolve?

I have to differ with you on this one. You are not nit picking. Besides that they have backed down on c;osing some of the schools.

The right hand dosen't know what the left hand is doing and the tax payer is clueless.

A handsome threesome.

This was a nice fat juicy one. So now we know what the model 'Thaksin markup' is, to be creamed off for procurement of similar sized projects (subject to not being spotted). It is 100%. This is the cost of Thaksin. Man Of The People!

Apirak Kosayodhin, deputy Democrat leader, told the House yesterday that the cost of basic necessities had risen dramatically as a result of the minimum daily wage being increased to Bt300. He said a simple plate of rice and curry now costs between Bt35 and Bt45, while the price of eggs, limes and other basic commodities has also risen considerably.

I miss those days when a few fire trucks cost just 6.6 billion baht. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Apirak Kosayodhin, deputy Democrat leader, told the House yesterday that the cost of basic necessities had risen dramatically as a result of the minimum daily wage being increased to Bt300. He said a simple plate of rice and curry now costs between Bt35 and Bt45, while the price of eggs, limes and other basic commodities has also risen considerably.

I miss those days when a few fire trucks cost just 6.6 billion baht. :rolleyes:

Yep. Thanks for reminding us. That one was a Thaksin crony as well.. The contract was signed by Samak on his last day as Bangkok governor.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Even if the scheme is notionally free, kids will soon learn that a B10 tip for the driver is better than being left standing on the side of the road.

But if they don't go to school, doesn't that mean their education will be incomplete?

Then again, who'd notice?