Conditions For The Poor Get Worse In Thailand

webfact

Conditions for the poor get worse in Thailand
By English News

13696417433774.jpg

BANGKOK, May 27 – Thailand is encountering a myriad of challenges from surging household debts, the poor’s inaccessibility to education and health services, wider economic and social gaps and rocketing drug-related criminal offences, a senior Thai official said today.

Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, secretary general of the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB), said fundamental services are concentrated in big cities while poverty-stricken people are less fortunate in accessing social welfare and health services.

In his report on Thailand’s Q1 social situation, he said the rural poor people enjoy better access to state welfare services than their urban peers, even as business interests cashed in on the gaps in the country’s economic structure.

Poverty-stricken people are overwhelmed with higher household debt, less income and over-spending, he said, adding that the expenses on alcohol and cigarettes by the poor are several times higher than the richest.

Employment increased by 1.3 per cent while the 0.71 unemployment percentage was similar to the same period last year.

The nationwide Bt300 daily minimum wage has narrowed the wage gap but employers tended to adjust employment conditions such as reductions of working hours and hiring more workers with lower education.

The government’s emphasis on post-graduate education has resulted in a shortage of occupational and semi-skilled workers in the labour market in light of the government’s future mega investment projects, Mr Arkhom said.

He added that drug-related cases are at an eight-year record high, representing 85.4 per cent of criminal cases and an increasing number of children aged 7-11 were admitted for rehabilitation. Mr. Arkhom described drug abuse as the most urgent problem needing to be solved. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-05-27

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So much for the PTP promises of helping the poor from the evil Dems who are trying to keep them down!

A vote for the PTP is a vote for Thaksin and a vote to better your poor rice planting lives!

• Like 2

The poor are getting poorer by the day , in affluent countries this is multiplied by a new class of poor, the middle class, at least this acknowledgment as a problem, is a step in the right direction , though one wonders what ,if anything will become of this, as usual nothing but talk. coffee1.gif

Drug problems with children aged 7-11 ? What the hell is going on?? By the way this is not only Thailand, it is world wide ! Also poor people suffer everywhere in the world as well. The world has gone now, it fell apart years ago.

• Like 1

Oh; I am sorry. Is it time again for another poor Thailand story?

My apologies, Mr. Termpittayapaisith. I don't have time for yet again another Thai idiot and his views about the woes of Thailand. You and your ilk all beggar me; bums who are professionals at pontificating, slowing down progress and killing each other off in the process with more pontificating... like an irritating, dripping faucet at night.

Sincerely, Cupocoffeolitheothamliogriphithsplendidritiph

Edited by cup-O-coffee
  • Like 1

The poor keep getting poorer in every country.

Stop comparing us with other countries, this is Thailand we are on own, with our own ethics and culture, our problems are our problems, not just some other country that you can compare us with

• Like 1

Yes i guess you are right, the poorer class that this government were supposed to be helping are in fact suffering more, food, gas, diesel,

and many more basic necessity are now costing much more than before this government was "elected", the 300Bht per day has cost many field hands their jobs as many of the rice farmers now turn to machines to process their crops which is now cheaper and quicker., is it any wonder that the crime rate is getting higher.

but there are jobs here for nationals,are there not,,????,,,or are they below them to do,,mmmmmm,,every job is important,a man said to me once as i was getting redundency,why would anyone work in a supermarket,i said if they dont stack the shelves ,you aint got nothing to buy,you working class snob,everyone laughed at him,yep didnt get a chrissy card from,him,,xxx

Reduction in working hours as a result of 300 baht a day minimum wage? It may be the law, but my wife was recently offered a job by a Thai company at 320 baht a day. This is seven days a week, ten hours a day and no paid holidays. Or am I being to Western in my thinking and this is a good deal in today's Thailand?

Edited by simple1

"the expenses on alcohol and cigarettes by the poor are several times higher than the richest."

Wait for the next election. PTP will be re-elected after promising to cut taxes on alcohol and cigarettes, and even to subsidize them for the poor. All in the name of democracy and the public good.

Reduction in working hours as a result of 300 baht a day minimum wage? It may be the law, but my wife was recently offered a job by a Thai company at 320 baht a day. This is seven days a week, ten hours a day and no paid holidays. Or am I being to Western in my thinking and this is a good deal in today's Thailand?

Are you serious or are you trying to make a point about the low wages and long hours?

If you are serious, so you will let your wife go to work 70 hours a week, without a day off, for $330 a month?

So much for the PTP promises of helping the poor from the evil Dems who are trying to keep them down!

A vote for the PTP is a vote for Thaksin and a vote to better your poor rice planting lives!

The PTP help the PTP and their De Facto leader in Dubai. What else would one expect from this mob of hooligans?

• Like 1

Are you serious or are you trying to make a point about the low wages and long hours?

If you are serious, so you will let your wife go to work 70 hours a week, without a day off, for $330 a month?

making a point about the reality of long hours and low wages. No, my wife did not take up the offer

What is this 300 baht minimum wage? A pal recently took me to his wifes farm up here in Isaan. He pointed to a couple of ladies, busy weeding a vegetable plot, and told me they were on 100 baht a day!!!

they are poor for many reasons but the constant handouts do not help.

Theres too much rain, my crops are dead - handout please

There isn't enough rain,my crops are dying - handout please

I'm too lazy to get off my arse - handout please

I've pissed away all my money on booze and fags - loan please

I need to buy cows as I sold the last batch and pissed the money up against the wall - creditcard please

The temperature has dropped by 1 degree - free blankets please

you want me to vote for you - money please

you want me to be a red shirt and travel to bangkok - money, food and transport please

I have spent the electric money on gambling - free electric please

I don't want to pay more than 20 baht to eat in a food court - control the prices please

less handouts and a firm kick in the arse would do wonders. obviously addressing the usual suspects like education and training would help and also a minimum payment by all households for some tax. you can't leave it to the few and expect the same returns.

harsh words but maybe very true from my time here

The poor keep getting poorer in every country.

Stop comparing us with other countries, this is Thailand we are on own, with our own ethics and culture, our problems are our problems, not just some other country that you can compare us with

OK, what about the poor keep getting poorer in most countries but especially so in countries where the government is corrupt and self serving and pays merely lip service to the needs the poor.

Like for example.... Thailand.

here in muk,there is an increase in the poor,we(wife & I) have about 10 ladies with about 16 kids,that spend the night under our car port roof,at wifes shop.

most of them have no place to sleep except in the street..in the day time they all go to find any kind of workat night most of them come back here the sleep.

we give them free water and electricand a big pot of rice at night.

we don't allow the men to stay here,as they drink a lot and cause all kinds of trouble.

• Like 1