Visual Pollution

RAMPAGE

We can only hope the Hua Hin tesabaan wake up and do something about the visual pollution being caused by billboards between Cha-am and Khao Takiab. There must be 50 billboards for just one brand of ice cream...its getting beyond ridiculous. Index and Market Village are trying to out-do each other to see who can put up the most billboards; not to mention a new real estate project almost every week being trumpeted by a series of billboards every 20 meters. There...I feel better now.

• 2 weeks later...

Pissed off with unsightly billboards in Aus, a group formed "Bugger-up". (A bit like the ALF)

They tore down billboards all over the country....... eventually, local councils got the message.....

Thailand has the most hideous billboards in S.E.A.

Haven't seen a billboard fking up the landscape in ages here in Aus :o

There is big money and fierce competition with billboards, black money, kickbacks, people have been taken hostage, murdered over the space they occupy or contracts not given, government officials calling companies for their yearly "incentive". Billboards will stay, landscape and view are secondary to them.

IMO, there are too many signs and it beats the purpose of geting your attention.

I noticed yesterday that from Paknam to Chonburi, on the old road, no a single sign for the speed limit. No money to be made with that I guess...

i agree.

property developers seem to be the main culprits as usual , a concerted barrage of e-mails and letters to the authorities may bring it to their attention , but i dont think thais have the same perception of their surroundings as westerners do.

e.g. electric cabling , leaning lamp posts , tilting phone boxes put in the middle of pavements , siting of most street furniture to ensure maximum disruption to pedestrians , littering ,signage on businesses , the back and front yards of private homes , the living rooms of most private homes.

for a people who place so much on outward appearance , i am at a loss to explain it.

i agree.

property developers seem to be the main culprits as usual , a concerted barrage of e-mails and letters to the authorities may bring it to their attention , but i dont think thais have the same perception of their surroundings as westerners do.

e.g. electric cabling , leaning lamp posts , tilting phone boxes put in the middle of pavements , siting of most street furniture to ensure maximum disruption to pedestrians , littering ,signage on businesses , the back and front yards of private homes , the living rooms of most private homes.

for a people who place so much on outward appearance , i am at a loss to explain it.

Its Thailand.

A concerted barrage etc may make you feel better but you and the rest of us are not important so who cares what we think.

At least Burma-Shave signs were mildly entertaining...

It is a fact that advertising is 'affecting the mind'.

As you drive (in Australia), not only do you have to contend with the incredible number of road & traffic signs but you have to deal with the incredible number of advertising signs as well. It has long been known that this type of 'brain overload' is not only dangerous but also detrimental to the receivers of such.

My only suggestion, which is what I do, is to ignore all advertisements & only concentrate upon the enormous number of road & traffic signs.

If you don't like the billboard polluting the neighborhood maybe you can make it a point to let the advertiser know you won't be purchasing his product as long as they insist on littering your landscape.

40 years ago the United States passed a law banning billboards along scenic highways. Since then billboards have begun to creep back into the landscape.

Laws won't make much difference. Politicians know money when they see it.

A public boycott of advertised products would be much ore effective...if you could get it organzied