What Type Of Visa And How Long? Coming To Bk From Australia

Hey everyone, I've done searches on all threads but I'm still slighty confused at which Visa I can apply for.

I'm 28 years old from Australia (Australian Citizen) and I have a Thai girlfriend who I met here. She's been in Australia 5 years studying. Would like to go back to Thailand with her and stay for a length of time, experience the culture, meet the parentals etc...

Not married, staying at her residence in BK. I'm under the impression I need to apply for a "O" visa. Would like a 1 year Visa and looking at possible extensions but that can looked at a later date.

So, is it possible for 1 year Visa without marriage and what is the correct type I need to apply for?

Thanks

• Like 1

Doubt you will be able to qualify for a "one year" visa.

Suspect your options will be limited to a Tourist visa or possibly an EDU (education visa)

Someone with more knowledge than me will be along soon.

Edited by Sceptict11

The only way you would get a non-o visa would be if you got married.

Best option to start with is to get a 3 entry tourist visa this would give you almost 9 months by extending each entry by 30 days at immigration and making the 3rd entry just before the visa expires.

If you want to learn Thai you could get an ED visa and then extensions of stay.

Can someone give the definition/requirements of the "o" visa please?

OP, have you tried ringing the Thai consulate in your capital city? Ive spoken to them in Adelaide and he was a great chap to talk to.

Edited by krisb

OP, have you tried ringing the Thai consulate in your capital city? Ive spoken to them in Adelaide and he was a great chap to talk to.

'O' Visa if for those 'O'ver 50 ... biggrin.png

Can applied from outside Thailand.

No requirement for marriage.

Must show some money in the Bank.

Options are Single, Duel and Mutiple Entry

Maximum stay is 90 days ... then Visa Run.

There's a Thai consulate in Melbourne and that's the next step! I'm just arranging my passport and getting that in order first.

Haha! What about those under 50?

People under 50 are only able to get a Non-O if you are married to a Thai or taking care of your children for example

- other activities (Category "O") as follows:

to stay with the family, to perfrom duties for the state

enterprise or social welfare organizations, to stay after retirement for

the elderly, to receive medical treatment, to be a sport coach as

required by Thai Government, to be a contestant or witness for the

judicial process.

Link: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15398-Issuance-of-Visa.html

• Like 1

Best option to start with is to get a 3 entry tourist visa this would give you almost 9 months by extending each entry by 30 days at immigration and making the 3rd entry just before the visa expires.

Yeah, we have talked about marriage but we both aren't quite ready for that just yet... so I guess that rules out Non-O.

I have the financials to stay and her family is well off aswell, but I would still want to work for some of the time I'm there.. so that may rule out Tourist visa unless that's my only option to stay long term, then I simply won't work.

Just read up on Education visa, may be another option. Can always do with my Thai language knowledge. Is it hard to apply for a course in Thailand? And can you work part-time?

Google Walen School, he'll sort you with an education visa whistling.gif .

As for working whilst here, you should look into that a bit further as it is not as simple as just applying for a job then showing up to work on the monday.

• Like 2

As for working whilst here, you should look into that a bit further as it is not as simple as just applying for a job then showing up to work on the monday.

Her family already has a few businesses there so it's just me contributing rather than just sitting around doing nothing all day!

Work doing what op? Ahh I see yor gf parents businesses. Hmm. Could maybe be rejected because of rules for westerners and work in Thailand.

Personally Id use the time to learn Thai language in a school. A years a long time to just sit around and you will learn heaps more in a classroom than your gf teaching you.

Edited by krisb

You will not qualify for a Non-O visa so if learning the culture and language is a goal, google Womenlearningthai and read about language schools. There are a number of schools that offer help getting an ED Visa. This is your best bet to stay for a year.If you just exploring the possibilities, Ubonjoe has given you solid advise.

krisb, without going into her family's personal details.. they have retail businesses in Nakhon Sawan, Changmai and BK... although myself speaking minimal Thai, I wouldn't be dealing with any customers.

Yeah, main goal is to spend time with the gf etc. Finding out more options though to work aswell, because I simply can't imagine sitting around for 9 months or whatever doing nothing. I think I've lasted about 2 months in Australia without working, in the end it just became boring as all hell, waking up at 12pm everyday.

Speaking to her parents now if they can do B type visa.

Seems alot more complicated than I thought, maybe I'll just get her to stay in Australia!

Edited by Richiekorn

------------------

I agree with ubonjoe

But I would come here on a tourist visa, which would get you a 60 day entry and then a possible 30 day extension (fee 1900 Baht) at your local immigration.

Then, if you find Thailand to your liking, I would then EXTEND that visa to a Ed visa by enrolling in one of the (officially approved) Thai language courses.

You can then stay here as a student studying Thai (just meet the school attendance requirements) while you will be learning to find your way in Thai culture at the same time.

Then, once you know the place, at your age the only realistic choices are:

marriage to your Thai girlfriend or finding a job in Thailand.

Because you can't qualify for retirement in Thailand for a long term stay until you are at least 50 years of age.

And at least, learning Thai, will aid your job search chances.

At least after the first year you should have a good idea of whether Thailand is for you or not on a long term basis.

• Like 1

-----------------

Actually a "O" visa stands for a non immigrant type O visa. The O stands for "Other", i.e. not meeting any other qualifications.

It is often used for "retirement" in Thailand, but that's not its only use.

You MAY possibly get a non immigrant O visa in Australia but they may want you to show the financial means of supporting yourself in Thailand (money in bank).

No gaurentee there however, but others have done it.

No problem getting a Tourist visa though, which is why I recommended it.

And it can be extended in Thailand as I said by taking that course in the Thai language.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
  • Like 2

'O' Visa if for those 'O'ver 50 ... :D

Easy on the "old" there, old mate :P

The "O" refers to "other", guess they couldn't be arsed coming up with something cool and intellectual :P

Non-OA refers to those over the required age...

Richiekorn - familiarise yourself with the "Working Holiday Visa" and go from there...

Edited by GrantSmith

Google Walen School, he'll sort you with an education visa :whistling: .

But for B50k he'll sort you out a work permit as well :whistling:

• Like 1

have an example and need advice!

Retired couple living in Thailand

Spouce dies.

mother-in-law comes quickly and enters on a visa -on-arrival.

Mother-in-law needs to stay for a few months to settle things and comfort daughter.

What is the easiest visa for he to get to stay 2-3 more months?

Thanks

have an example and need advice!

Retired couple living in Thailand

Spouce dies.

mother-in-law comes quickly and enters on a visa -on-arrival.

Mother-in-law needs to stay for a few months to settle things and comfort daughter.

What is the easiest visa for he to get to stay 2-3 more months?

Thanks

If they don't qualify for an extension, probably exit, and apply for a single or double entry Tourist Visa at a Conuslate in a neighboring country.

But for B50k he'll sort you out a work permit as well whistling.gif

Girlfriend says with a bit of money, theres always ways around things in Thailand............

Just to let you guys know... went to the consulate today and I can get a 6 month (two entries) Non-O visa. So a Non-O is possible in my circumstance, which may not be applicable to everyone.

For longer term, he said the only other way was to get married...

I'll bet they issue you with a double-entry Tourist Visa.

Once you get your "6 month (two entries) Non-O visa" please post a scan (with the personal details hidden), a visa of this type is definitely not normal.

• Like 1

I'll bet they issue you with a double-entry Tourist Visa.

Once you get your "6 month (two entries) Non-O visa" please post a scan (with the personal details hidden), a visa of this type is definitely not normal.

^^ That is what I reckon will happen.

To my knowledge 'O' Visas are for a 12 month duration.

Welcome to the Thai expression ... Same but Different ... rolleyes.gif