Bangkoks Bad Habit: Plastic Bags

Lite Beer

I certainly stop them from putting a bottle of water of a soda can in a plastic bag for immediate consumption, but living in a condo I definitely need the Friendship Market plastic grocery bags to put my trash in. How would I accumulate my own trash for disposal if you were successful in banning them?

Fully agree. I havn't brought bin liners the whole time I've been here.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charge 5 Baht per bag. Problem solved. Awareness starts at the wallet.

China does this.

go to 7-11 and the goods sit on the counter, up to you how to carry them home, or PAY for a bag.

What about the plastic bag industry? If there were not plastic bags just think on the increase in the unemployment. People would be laid off, children would not be able to go to school, and just think about the government owned PTT, the manufacturer of the resin to produce plastic bags. without plastic bags what would the bread and pastry industry do, go back to paper, If they went back to paper, how many more forest would be cut down? smile.png

A part of the problem is the short type of check-out counters they use here that are designed for that annoying and totally useless plastic-bag-girl service, and no place to pach your own stuff like I always do, on the way I want it. No need somebody to do that for me not only because they do it very stupid, eg. putting bread and fruit underneath heavier stuff so your bread get squeezed, and using way too many bags and they're brainwashed to not put certain things together like for example if you buy mosquito repellent and eggs and fruit you end up with 3 different bags totally rediculous. It happened I packed the stuff myself and put a can of mozzie spray together with the food stuff and they 7Eleven girl said 'ohhh antaraai' (dangerous) come on babybrain wake up!

But things will never change, not within 20 yaers anyway.

I've had a few Bookazine bags that I used weekly for MONTHS, and they'd still be going strong. Then one trip when I'm not planning to, but do, visit a Bookazine store so I'm without my bag, I start the cycle over. Those bags are ULTRA-durable.

awareness is the beginning to the solution...and while we are at it,lets get rid of the s styrofoam bowls etc,each morning all the thais have their noddle soup in the foam bowls...they just dont get it.....

awareness is the beginning to the solution...and while we are at it,lets get rid of the s styrofoam bowls etc,each morning all the thais have their noddle soup in the foam bowls...they just dont get it.....

Indeed. At least a bag can be reused. What can you use a Styrofoam carton for a second time.

Landfill?

Thais loves to give plastic bags for everything – prefeably two, instead of filling the one up. However, the least you can do is to deposit the used plastic bag in a garbage bin – then Bkk, and other areas, may look (more) clean.

This afternoon I bought 6 pastries. Each pastry went into it's own little plastic bag, only to be sealed with cello tape. Then all 6 pastries, each in their own (now sealed) plastic bag was placed into a larger plastic bag.

Amazing Thailand, indeed.

Same happened to me at a japanese bakery in Central Plaza Suratthani.

Mai Sai, should be obligitory. But then, if u actually care about the environment, you shouldn' drive a car..

Hiphop crassy at a high level.

Don't be silly, cars are often necessary, plastic bags just an unwarranted habit

I am sure that somewhere i saw an article on an Indian invention which can be used at home. It will convert all plastic bags and bottles into Bio fuel which can be used in the car.

Cannot find the thread, but someone might have it !

Mai Sai, should be obligitory. But then, if u actually care about the environment, you shouldn' drive a car..

Don't be silly, cars are often necessary, plastic bags just an unwarranted habit

Would like to hear your argument as to why cars are necessary.

If he/she is packing something into a bag and you say, I do not need this, they throw it away immediately. It is used then!

LOL.

Too many times have I seen this, go to 7/11 to buy a pack of ciggies and they put em in a bag, I take out from bag and give it back and they put the "now used" bag in the bin !!!!!!

Well it might or it might not be funny if you see it often.coffee1.gif

But it most assuredly is not funny when you are doing the purchasing and not informing them before they put it in the bag that you don't want a bagsad.png .

Would like to hear your argument as to why cars are necessary.

Now that would be interesting and then to here your argument why they are necessary.

Maybe a debate with a moderator.

It's really such a shame that you have such an horrendous problem in BKK, with all the plastic bags.

Here in the north, we have no ocean to chuck all the bags into. So here, we burn the plastic bags. Problem solved. Cough ..... cough ... cough.

If he/she is packing something into a bag and you say, I do not need this, they throw it away immediately. It is used then!

LOL.

Too many times have I seen this, go to 7/11 to buy a pack of ciggies and they put em in a bag, I take out from bag and give it back and they put the "now used" bag in the bin !!!!!!

Well it might or it might not be funny if you see it often.coffee1.gif

But it most assuredly is not funny when you are doing the purchasing and not informing them before they put it in the bag that you don't want a bagsad.png .

Get ta Fug.

If it rains heavily, those plastic bags will clog water in the drainage system, which will results in waterlogging and thus it will cause flood.

Ref. case: (INDIA: Mumbai - 26 July, 2005.)

R u sure?

I walk home and carry my purchases in a plasic bag. Therefore they are needed.

Would not be surprised if u put yer bags in the back of the car and drove back.

Save the World? Hoiw many people poisoned by car exhausts?

And Bkk has a bigger problem with cars, the cancers and premature death they cause, than plasic bags.

Edited by Soi Sauce

If it rains heavily, those plastic bags will clog water in the drainage system, which will results in waterlogging and thus it will cause flood.

Ref. case: (INDIA: Mumbai - 26 July, 2005.)

And when it rains heavily the cars clog the roads poring out cancer making fumes.

Bags and walk home are better.

• Like 1

i ran away from crazy politics and economics in my home country... so i love the free bags = good cheap garbage bags

they burn them anyway, if you pay for them or not

some supermarkets have bio degradable ones...

• Like 1

The ultimate irony - the wife bought a bag of food sized plastic bags at the market and they put them in a plastic bag. coffee1.gif

As a somewhat sinister way to reduce the plastic bag usage, I suggest that all scooters are stripped of the wee hookey thing designed to hang your plastic bags on. w00t.gif

Gsxrnz those " wee hookey things " are actually designed to hang helmets on in an effort to stop some-one stealing them, didn't work

for me one time the thief cut the strap and nicked the one strap helmet. laugh.png

The ultimate irony - the wife bought a bag of food sized plastic bags at the market and they put them in a plastic bag. coffee1.gif

As a somewhat sinister way to reduce the plastic bag usage, I suggest that all scooters are stripped of the wee hookey thing designed to hang your plastic bags on. w00t.gif

Gsxrnz those " wee hookey things " are actually designed to hang helmets on in an effort to stop some-one stealing them, didn't work

for me one time the thief cut the strap and nicked the one strap helmet. laugh.png

Why would they cut the strap if it was hanging on the hook ?

Why would they cut the strap if it was hanging on the hook ?

OK Spoonman I will bite, the hooks are at the front of the seat when you lift the seat you place the helmet to

put one strap inside the seat and locate it on a hook then close/lock the seat, how else did you think it would

discourage theft if it was simply hanging on a hook??? sad.png

i ran away from crazy politics and economics in my home country... so i love the free bags = good cheap garbage bags

they burn them anyway, if you pay for them or not

some supermarkets have bio degradable ones...

Yes, can be reused – or you can bring them back to the supermarket next time you are shopping, and use them again. Tesco will deduct 1 bath for each plastic bag you bring yourself.