Motobike Transport Via Train In Thailand

moskito

Hello folks,

I am planning to transport my motobike via train from Surat Thani to Bangkok and hereafter from BKK to Nongkhai.

Has anyone ideas if it is still working and how much it costs? I found an old thread here from 2010 last posting.

Motobike is a small Kawasaki KLX 125ccm weight is 113kg so not too heavy.

I used a train from Bkk to Surat a couple of years ago, overnight. from morning till the train arrived I was in the last wagon, doors open and pretty much space in there, friendly ppl in the wagon, train staff.

Just back from a 2 week trip in Sri Lanka on a 250ccm Honda Baja and my arse still hurts, so thats why I am asking.

From Phuket to Surat i will drive it, from Nongkhai to Phonphisai too.

THANKS for your answers in advance

Moskito

kSDC14590.jpg

Edited by moskito

I just posted my pcx from Phuket to chiang Mai via post office ... 3000b and saved a fair bit of hassles.

I got the train from bkk to cm and asked the guard who said yes can take scooted/bike, just wheel it in and pay the guys at the cargo carriage ...

I just posted my pcx from Phuket to chiang Mai via post office ... 3000b and saved a fair bit of hassles.

I got the train from bkk to cm and asked the guard who said yes can take scooted/bike, just wheel it in and pay the guys at the cargo carriage ...

thx Sidney but I want to go on the same train as my bike, I heard a lot of things about posting things, many complain about damages,

and THX Moe, I will do that if I can find the bike section :)

Did it years ago with Vespa's from Chiang Mai to Bkk.

At that time all fluids from the bike were "supposed" to be drained but only the gas tank was inspected and a waiver for no claim damage had to be signed.

Best to check the poing of embarkment to be sure.

Can nothing say about the Trains, but read on.

I sent my 20 years old, Honda 400 CBR Sport Street Bike, a lot heavier, than yours,

from Post office Patong Phuket to Post office Udon Thani City, cost about 3.000.- + Baht, you would possibly only pay for the same distance,

that is Nong Khai, approximately 1.800.- + Baht. Is a weight thing also, or maybe, the ccm important?

A Thread here on Thai Visa advised me, to make. pay and sign an extra insurance policy, at the Post office, as damages happen!

A good advise, the insurance for a Max. 40.000 Baht Limit was than, 350.- Baht, worth every Satang. tongue.png

I got the bike delivered to Udon Thani Main Post Office, with a big dent in the tank, a broken wind shield

and as it seemed to have jumped from some height, a leaking fork, new Oil seals needed.

The positive thing, was,

that the Post Office Insurance department Supervisor, was accepting an a bit inflated "costs estimate" of 20.000.- Baht repair bill.

With that I could repair everything, make some more on my old bike new and let spray my bike completely new including the rims! thumbsup.gif

So, on the end a "win" situation and outcome for me! wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

Can nothing say about the Trains, but read on.

I sent my 20 years old, Honda 400 CBR Sport Street Bike, a lot heavier, than yours,

from Post office Patong Phuket to Post office Udon Thani City, cost about 3.000.- + Baht, you would possibly only pay for the same distance,

that is Nong Khai, approximately 1.800.- + Baht. Is a weight thing also, or maybe, the ccm important?

A Thread here on Thai Visa advised me, to make. pay and sign an extra insurance policy, at the Post office, as damages happen!

A good advise, the insurance for a Max. 40.000 Baht Limit was than, 350.- Baht, worth every Satang. tongue.png

I got the bike delivered to Udon Thani Main Post Office, with a big dent in the tank, a broken wind shield

and as it seemed to have jumped from some height, a leaking fork, new Oil seals needed.

The positive thing, was,

that the Post Office Insurance department Supervisor, was accepting an a bit inflated "costs estimate" of 20.000.- Baht repair bill.

With that I could repair everything, make some more on my old bike new and let spray my bike completely new including the rims! thumbsup.gif

So, on the end a "win" situation and outcome for me! wink.png

hehe, lets hope then that nobody of the insurance company reading this thread ;)

just checking on a 250ccm, may be I change, driving is much more confortable as my little mountainclimber..... like the 125ccm, I can drive everywhere where elephants can walk, not possible with a heavier one

-moskito-

Sure fun with a 250 cc just the right bike, a bit more torque and not to heavy and bulky.Good.

Regarding my bike and the insurance claims, no problem, that a third party insurance company sees that thread and story.

I believe there is no third party insurance company anyway, that is done by the Post Office Department themselves.

You insure your bike, with the Post Office Department.

So insurance claims are more easy and fast "processed". Its done same in my Home Country. wink.png

And, I gave the -Supervisor- a 1.000.- Baht Tip receiving the money, I had announced him that, if everything would run fast and smoothly.

He did not complain or say "No!" rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

April last year a friend rode a 125cc to main PO in Uttaradit, paid 2kB, 10 days later guy from PO rode it 3km from regional PO in Chumphon,

to deliver to the address she gave. No damage to newish bike. AA

This Post Office bike shipping stuff is amazing!

I cannot imagine the same happening in any other country of the wrold, where they refuse items that just "look wrong".

I may use it while touring Thailand with the scooter.

In January this year, I paid 1200 baht from Nong Khai to Bangkok on the overnight train for a Honda VFR400 which weighs 182kg. The guys wanted a tip after they unloaded it, but that is up to you. They get paid to do their job. No damage, just very very dirty afterwards. It left 7pm ish from Nong Khai and arrived at 7am in Bangkok.

• Like 1

So the train is cheaper to put your bike on if your on it anyhow rather than post? Anyone done train + scooter from cm to south Thailand , or all the way to kuala lumpur?! When you put on the train, is it a fixed cost or whatever you agree with the cargo carriage staff ... Assume they know your booked on the train anyhow so can charge anything there and then !!

I guess I should have clarified. 1200 was for the bike only and they charge by weight. They have a fixed price schedule that cannot be negotiated. You then have to pay for your own fare. I paid an additional 1100 per person for a private air con sleeper cabin with 2 big beds.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app