Thai Public Health Min: Dengue Fever Situation Worrisome

webfact

Thank you too jet set bangkok for that reply I am really not use to posting on this forum so possibly I am making a mistake which I apologize for. Are you saying that you can see my post on not because I certainly could it was sent about 2 hours ago and appeared on my screen but having scrolls through every post on this subject I have not found it over the last 30 minutes tempted to reply to rain dancer and ventura low sorry for any mistakes this is being dictated

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

When I move the mouse over your name I can click on "Find content". Your last 3 posts above now show up, but under your avatar it now shows that you have made 13 posts in all. Something is wrong with the database, I think.

I cannot see the post you made a couple of hours ago, or any others apart from the above 3.

Edited by JetsetBkk

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in the south, I contracted dengue a couple of years ago. Also a friend staying with me got it a few weeks earlier.

When I ask local people if they've ever contracted it or if it's common to the area they say they've never heard of anyone with it.

It leads me to believe that it may be misdiagnosed at the hospitals or clinics as it must be more common than that.

Many locals have a genetic resistance to Dengue and do not catch it or only exhibit minor symptoms if they do get it. So I was told by the Head of Infectious Disease at the Communicable Disease Centre in Singapore while I stayed there for a recovery period.

Like they did with bird flu a few years ago, they will tell you numbers until it gets too high, then it will not be discussed again.

Many of the surrounding ASEAN countries have large signs and posters put up, reminding people to not have water in containers outside, along with large pictures of the offending type of mosquito.

Can't say I've seen a single warning in 18 months in Chiang Mai.

No activity in our area with preventative "Fogging " in the last couple of years. Where has the money gone? Prevention must be better and cheaper than "Cure" (Treament) ?

Regards from PEP

If ever you have looked at a themometer you'll see that almost all are denoted in Celsius and Farenheit.

Honestly, no I don't think so, those I've seen here were in Celsius only.

Look around more closely because that's the way they are mostly sold these days, we have three in our medicine cabinet and all three are dual scale.

Thank you too jet set bangkok for that reply I am really not use to posting on this forum so possibly I am making a mistake which I apologize for. Are you saying that you can see my post on not because I certainly could it was sent about 2 hours ago and appeared on my screen but having scrolls through every post on this subject I have not found it over the last 30 minutes tempted to reply to rain dancer and ventura low sorry for any mistakes this is being dictated

When I move the mouse over your name I can click on "Find content". Your last 3 posts above now show up, but under your avatar it now shows that you have made 13 posts in all. Something is wrong with the database, I think.

I cannot see the post you made a couple of hours ago, or any others apart from the above 3.

I believe the post was deleted because it stated there was a cure for Dengue and Malaria, which there is not.

Dengue is primarily carried by the female Anopheles Aedes Aegypti. It's the fastest growing arbovirus (arthopod borne virus) on the planet.

There is an incubation period following the bite of a Dengeue-carrying mosquito during which most people will be asymptomatic.

When the virus "blooms," the typical experience, like mine several years ago, is to feel suddenly "deathly" ill, and weak, and to have high-fever.

There are four strains of Dengue, and, while there is some debate about whether cross-immunization can occur, the majority opinion is that having one strain does not mean you can't get another.

There is no "treatment" for Dengue in the "curative" sense of that word: treatment is palliative, and symptomatic.

The great danger is that your red blood platelet count will go so low that your blood becomes so thin that it can perfuse into your lungs, or eyes. This very dangerous, potentially fatal, possible stage of Dengue is referred to as "hemorrhagic dengue fever." If a person has this stage of Dengue, they may require blood transfusions in order to survive. Or, your blood-pressure may fall to such a low-level that you will experience possibly fatal "Dengue shock syndrome."

The good news is that if Dengue hasn't killed you by about the seventh day after symptoms appear, you will, likely, survive.

I did not have to go into the hospital, but some people will need to be hospitalized, even if they are not in the hemorrhagic state.

The important thing is to get your red-blood platelet count monitored as frequently as you doctors advise.

And, Dengue can be more fatal to young children, and elderly, people, as well as those with weakened immune systems, cancer survivors, etc.

It took me about six-weeks to fully recover from Dengue. I had IV re-hydration, out-patient, during the high-fever period, twice.

The old British Colonial name for Dengue was "breakbone fever;" I did not have joint-pain symptoms specifically, for which I am thankful.

Here's to your health, and I'm hoping you never experience Dengue !

If you, or any family member, do suddenly go into a weak, and feverish, state, I hope you go to a good doctor immediately !

~o:37;

i think you meant Aedes aegypti only. mosquitoes of the Anopheles genus carry malaria.

female Aedes mosquitoes feed mostly during the day and in urbanized areas where clean stagnant water (the preferred breeding habitat of these mosquitoes) are commonplace. these mosquitoes also have a short flight range (200-500m) but enough to transmit dengue due to high population densities in urban areas.

the dengue virus indeed has four serotypes - 1 to 4. a naive or first attack (from one serotype) presents as high-grade fever but is rarely fatal. once a person contracts a dengue serotype (eg serotype 1), that person acquires lifelong immunity from the serotype. the more dangerous dengue hemorrhagic fever occurs when a person suffers from a second attack from the other serotypes (2, 3, and 4).

there are no vaccines or a single pill that prevents and/or cure dengue and dengue hemorrhagic fever. as with most viral infections, supportive therapy (treating the symptoms - fever, muscle pains, etc) is the only way to "treat" patients.

• Like 1

Is there a vaccine to prevent Dengue Fever?

If so, is it available at clinics & hospitals?

Nope, best treatment is to cover up and avoid being bitten, particularly at dawn and dusk when the mozzies are feeding, long sleeve shirts and long cotton pants are helpful as is deet spray and similar..

Actually the Dengue mosquito's are more active during the day, see below from an Aussie site:

Adult mosquitoes

Adult dengue mosquitoes like to rest in dark areas

both inside homes and underneath houses and other buildings. They prefer

to bite people during day light hours, unlike other types of mosquitoes

that are more active at night.

Some of their favourite resting spots include under beds, tables and

other furniture, behind curtains or anywhere dark and shaded under

houses.

Using a surface spray in these dark areas can help get rid of dengue mosquitoes around your home.

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/dengue/info/mosquito.asp

i use my tennis racket style bug zapper on the bed sheets, curtains, linen closest, anyplace they can take a comfy nap. i usually get a few of the little f-kers every time i do it

I was in Koh Chang , drinking a cup of tea on the balcony in the late afternoon. I was bathed in DEET mosqito repellant.

Without warning a very beautiful Anopheles Aedes Aegypti without a sense of smell descended on me like a Thai bar girl. Seven days later I couldnt get out of bed. I was sick for nearly two months. Headaches, joint pain, sleeplessness, rash, illness like Id never experienced (and I am fit and healthy).

Dont ever put yourself in this position, because it can kill you and if it doesnt, you'll wish it had.

I have a friend who is a bit of a hypochondriac and has a fever several times a week but never goes to the doctor,

Normally a hypochondriac is someone who goes to the doctor without fever, so wouldn't that make him the opposite?

>A themometer is invaluble here, anything over 101 and you have a fever, at 102 you need to get to a hospital.

101 must be American numbers. It's 37C in the rest of the world.

I can speak for most Americans when I say to heck with the Celsius crap. Even in the states we have thermometers and what not that have dual gauges to show both. Everyone thinks that Americans need to convert, but this is why as an American, though born in Thailand, have a disdain for "the rest of the world".

A themometer is invaluble here, anything over 101 and you have a fever, at 102 you need to get to a hospital.

Those numbers are relatively meaningless unless you know your own body's natural "normal" resting rate. 98.6F/37C are an AVERAGE.

My normal resting body temp is 96.8F/36F. By the time I'm at 102F, it's getting pretty critical, something most Thai nurses I've asked don't seem to understand. One time they took my temp as the routine part of a hospital visit and saw my temp was 38C (100F) and said I was okay and didn't have much of a fever, when in fact that was comparable to 39C/102F for an "average" person.

Some people by definition of "average" are hotter than "average," and 101F would not be so worrisome.

• Like 1

A themometer is invaluble here, anything over 101 and you have a fever, at 102 you need to get to a hospital.

Those numbers are relatively meaningless unless you know your own body's natural "normal" resting rate. 98.6F/37C are an AVERAGE.

My normal resting body temp is 96.8F/36F. By the time I'm at 102F, it's getting pretty critical, something most Thai nurses I've asked don't seem to understand. One time they took my temp as the routine part of a hospital visit and saw my temp was 38C (100F) and said I was okay and didn't have much of a fever, when in fact that was comparable to 39C/102F for an "average" person.

Some people by definition of "average" are hotter than "average," and 101F would not be so worrisome.

People need to have guidelines and that includes doctors, that's why when you are taken into emergency and the nurse takes your tempreture and the themometer shows 102, the doctor doesn't say, ah 102, that's meanigless because we don't know the patients "natural normal resting rate". No, instead the doctor says, 102, this patient has got a fever so let's go looking for the cause - themometer owning patients would be most strongly advised to treat the numbers in exactly the same way!!!

Actually the threshold is 98.6F (37C), beyond that you're running a fever.

Edited by Payboy

Actually the threshold is 98.6F (37C), beyond that you're running a fever.

Is the wrong answer:

Fever (also known as pyrexia[1]) is one of the most common medical signs and is characterized by an elevation of body temperature above the normal range of 36.5–37.5 °C (97.7–99.5 °F) due to an increase in the temperature regulatory set-point.[2] This increase in set-point triggers increased muscle tone and chills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fever

• Like 1

Dengue is primarily carried by the female Anopheles Aedes Aegypti. It's the fastest growing arbovirus (arthopod borne virus) on the planet.

There is an incubation period following the bite of a Dengeue-carrying mosquito during which most people will be asymptomatic.

When the virus "blooms," the typical experience, like mine several years ago, is to feel suddenly "deathly" ill, and weak, and to have high-fever.

There are four strains of Dengue, and, while there is some debate about whether cross-immunization can occur, the majority opinion is that having one strain does not mean you can't get another.

There is no "treatment" for Dengue in the "curative" sense of that word: treatment is palliative, and symptomatic.

The great danger is that your red blood platelet count will go so low that your blood becomes so thin that it can perfuse into your lungs, or eyes. This very dangerous, potentially fatal, possible stage of Dengue is referred to as "hemorrhagic dengue fever." If a person has this stage of Dengue, they may require blood transfusions in order to survive. Or, your blood-pressure may fall to such a low-level that you will experience possibly fatal "Dengue shock syndrome."

The good news is that if Dengue hasn't killed you by about the seventh day after symptoms appear, you will, likely, survive.

I did not have to go into the hospital, but some people will need to be hospitalized, even if they are not in the hemorrhagic state.

The important thing is to get your red-blood platelet count monitored as frequently as you doctors advise.

And, Dengue can be more fatal to young children, and elderly, people, as well as those with weakened immune systems, cancer survivors, etc.

It took me about six-weeks to fully recover from Dengue. I had IV re-hydration, out-patient, during the high-fever period, twice.

The old British Colonial name for Dengue was "breakbone fever;" I did not have joint-pain symptoms specifically, for which I am thankful.

Here's to your health, and I'm hoping you never experience Dengue !

If you, or any family member, do suddenly go into a weak, and feverish, state, I hope you go to a good doctor immediately !

~o:37;

A factually correct and therefore very useful and informative post. What a refreshing change.

• Like 1

Nope, best treatment is to cover up and avoid being bitten, particularly at dawn and dusk when the mozzies are feeding, long sleeve shirts and long cotton pants are helpful as is deet spray and similar..

Not completely correct. While the mosquitoes that bite at dusk/dawn may or may not carry dengue, the "Asian tiger" mosquitoes that bite in the mid-afternoon and 3AM-ish are known vectors for dengue. The tiger mosquitoes are the big striped ones. (See here: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/advice/mosquito-info/biting-insect-library/asian-tiger-mosquito -- moderator, remove the link if necessary, but the info is correct.)

I think you meant to say that my statement is incomplete as opposed to incorrect. That being the case will you please provide a link from a reliable source confirming that the higher risk periods are as you describe (mid-afternoon and 3am), I ask this because I have never heard of such in my ten years here? In fact all my information points at Dengue being transmitted by day time mozzies only and never at night (which is reserved for the Malaria carrying kind).

I did provide a link. Here's another. http://www.ibiblio.org/ecoaccess/info/wildlife/pubs/asiantigermosquitoes.html

Feel free to search the internet for more.

Not completely correct. While the mosquitoes that bite at dusk/dawn may or may not carry dengue, the "Asian tiger" mosquitoes that bite in the mid-afternoon and 3AM-ish are known vectors for dengue. The tiger mosquitoes are the big striped ones. (See here: http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/advice/mosquito-info/biting-insect-library/asian-tiger-mosquito -- moderator, remove the link if necessary, but the info is correct.)

I think you meant to say that my statement is incomplete as opposed to incorrect. That being the case will you please provide a link from a reliable source confirming that the higher risk periods are as you describe (mid-afternoon and 3am), I ask this because I have never heard of such in my ten years here? In fact all my information points at Dengue being transmitted by day time mozzies only and never at night (which is reserved for the Malaria carrying kind).

I did provide a link. Here's another. http://www.ibiblio.org/ecoaccess/info/wildlife/pubs/asiantigermosquitoes.html

Feel free to search the internet for more.

The link you provided confirms my initial statement that mossies are most active at dawn and dusk, the following quote confirms:

"One obvious way to avoid mosquitoes is to stay indoors during periods when mosquitoes are most active, such as early morning and evening".

I see no reference in your link to mid afternoon or 3am as being the most dangerous times.

Homeopathic prevention works quite well for many diseases including Dengue. It carries no side effects like vaccines do. If you haven't heard of the vaccination controversy, consider how huge of a business it is and do some research for your own sake and that of your family. I personally contracted the very disease I was vaccinated against which made me curious if it was a freak case which it wasn't.

The homeopathic remedy you would use is called Dengue Nosode. If you can't find it in Thailand, look online. It's very available (and cheap) in India in case you happen to go there or know someone who can send it to you.

As for Sodium Chlorite (or more precisely Chlorine Dioxide aka MMS), it is indeed effective against a large variety of ailments. I'm aiming to avoid statements that could lead to deletion of my post (who would delete a post selflessly offering potential help to the seriously sick anyways, right?), but again if you do some research you will be surprised.

As a medical practitioner I invite you to ask questions.

There is no vaccine for Dengue Fever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dengue_fever

Here in the south, I contracted dengue a couple of years ago. Also a friend staying with me got it a few weeks earlier.

When I ask local people if they've ever contracted it or if it's common to the area they say they've never heard of anyone with it.

It leads me to believe that it may be misdiagnosed at the hospitals or clinics as it must be more common than that.

Likely, local people do not know the disease as "dengue fever." It may be called <Thai Language removed> ("khai saa") by the locals, per an online Thai/English dictionary program. Where I am in the north, I more often hear it referred to as <Thai Language removed> ("khai leuuat aawk"). Try asking your local folks about that. My Thai step-daughter had it a few years back, and more recently, a neighbor Thai boy around 12-14 years old, a few doors away from where I live.

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

Likely, local people do not know the disease as "dengue fever." It may be called <Thai Language removed> ("khai saa") by the locals, per an online Thai/English dictionary program. Where I am in the north, I more often hear it referred to as <Thai Language removed> ("khai leuuat aawk"). Try asking your local folks about that. My Thai step-daughter had it a few years back, and more recently, a neighbor Thai boy around 12-14 years old, a few doors away from where I live.

I know it in the North as "khai leuuat nok" (not an absolutely precise phonetic on my part but very close)

I would just like to say 1 more very important thing before I shut up and go away, and that is that I have been told by people far more experienced than I that 1 of the main reasons that dengue takes a hold in people is through the ingestion of too much Sugar!!!

In common with cancer cells, pathogens thrive in a sugary environment. so if you want to avoid dengue I am told that avoiding sugar or reducing your sugar intake is the absolute number 1 way to do so. Problem is of course - and this could be the reason why there has been a rise in the number of dengue cases - is just how much sugar, sweets and chocolates are now available everywhere in asia. dengue and sugar do not go together well.

The link you provided confirms my initial statement that mossies are most active at dawn and dusk, the following quote confirms:

"One obvious way to avoid mosquitoes is to stay indoors during periods when mosquitoes are most active, such as early morning and evening".

I see no reference in your link to mid afternoon or 3am as being the most dangerous times.

"The time of day mosquitoes feed also varies. Some species feed only during the day while others feed during the early morning and evening and others at night (6). Asian Tiger mosquitoes characteristically feed in the afternoon and occasionally in the morning (36)."

You might also have a go at looking at the mosquitoes flying around your bedroom at 3AM.

Having searched the internet, have found these:

No specific treatment for dengue fever exists.

There is no specific medicine to treat dengue infection.

Having also read the link above from wikipedia regarding this sodium chlorite or MMS is not a viable claim as a cure for much of anything. Further postings supporting this claim will be deleted.

"The time of day mosquitoes feed also varies. Some species feed only during the day while others feed during the early morning and evening and others at night (6). Asian Tiger mosquitoes characteristically feed in the afternoon and occasionally in the morning (36)."

You might also have a go at looking at the mosquitoes flying around your bedroom at 3AM.

I live on the 20th floor, mossies pass out from lack of oxygen before they even get close to my level!

As for the rest of it, I am going to do some reading and find sources to clarify, as things stand I do not believe that Dengue carrying mossies are active at night and I believe the high risk times for infection are dawn and dusk, I will be back shortly.

I live on the 20th floor, mossies pass out from lack of oxygen before they even get close to my level!

As for the rest of it, I am going to do some reading and find sources to clarify, as things stand I do not believe that Dengue carrying mossies are active at night and I believe the high risk times for infection are dawn and dusk, I will be back shortly.

I don't have time to sit on Thaivisa arguing about little all day. Another reference, and I'm done. http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/lifestyle/05/04/12/warning-out-night-biting-dengue-mosquito

I had dengue a few years ago, i first thought it was a common flu. After two weeks of fever and increasing pain in my body i understood somthing was not right. Since there is no cure, i was kept on paimkillers and fluid one week at ICU and they let me go. The recovery period was the worst, for me it took about 6 months before i had my normal strenght back. I talked with others who had dengue as well, and the recovery period veries from person to person. The government put out warnings every year, stop to use old car tyres to make flower arraingments with still water in because thats where they breed, problem is, the thais dont listen or they dont read the news. I live in a town house and my closest neighbor just put out a big clay pot with some flowers and ofcourse still water practically just outside my door. Try talking to them is usless, i just wait until dark then insecticide, bingo no more breeding dengue. But the government should do more, maybe put info as ads during the soap tv.

No.

»There are no approved vaccines for the dengue virus. Prevention thus depends on control of and protection from the bites of the mosquito that transmits it.«
»There are no specific antiviral drugs for dengue, however maintaining proper fluid balance is important. Treatment depends on the symptoms, varying from oral rehydration therapy at home with close follow-up, to hospital admission with administration of intravenous fluids and/or blood transfusion.«
(Edit: Info from Wikipedia)
Edited by khunPer