Phayao.....is It Worth A Trip?

Thighlander

There is no nightlife in Phayao other than eating stalls. Phayao has a very large lake "Kwan Phayao". I didn't see any fishing but there should be some. Phayao has Thailands best Khao Soy that I think is better than in Bangkok. Good coffee is hard to find. I like the Phayao Northern Lake Hotel (054 411 123) which is a short walk from the bus station and about the center of town.

• Like 2

Several restaurants on the lake to pass some time while having a munch . On the far side of the lake , looking at the mountains , there is a very nice temple that sits high up over looking the lake (sorry I do not know the name of the place ) . Not sure about the fishing on the lake , never seen anyone do it but the whole area has many fish farms and all the restaurants tend to serve local fish and shell fish on the menus .

• Like 1

Loved it, quiet and laid back. Prom by the lake had a meditteranean feel.

Take the boat ride out to the Wat in the middle of the lake, preferably at sunset, and look for the weird 'Heaven and Hell' Wat a K or so (North I think) out of town.

Thought it could be Thailands 'best kept secret', hardly a Farang in sight so keep it to yourself.wink.png

T.

• Like 2

There are some of us here. We keep a low profile.

Here is a link for attractions http://www.phayao.co/phayao-attractions.html

Just outside the Northern Lake hotel they have food stands every night. On Friday and Saturday there are night markets which are located at the southern end of the lake. There is a market area in the center of town. Walk out of your hotel to main road and turn right. At 7/11 turn left and head straight you will run into it. About 500 metres from your hotel.

I have seen people fish in the lake but not that often. I live on the opposite side of the lake to Phayao. Over our side you need a permit to fish in the actual lake.

Around the the lake there are many restaurants

Enjoy your stay

• Like 2

I like it...I better...I live here! While it is not a Pattaya or a Phuket....it is very doable. Night life....there is some live music here and there, and of course the world renowned BM Pub (just kidding)....BM for bowel movement....hmmmm. Phayao is more of a relaxation place than a hip-get-laid place. But then of course, there is that as well...not too far from downtown. I love it here, but when I do need something specific...most of the time I have to resort to going up north to Chaingrai to get it. I think it is worth a visit if you're not in that super-party mentality. Come and check it out....PP

• Like 2

There is no nightlife in Phayao other than eating stalls. Phayao has a very large lake "Kwan Phayao". I didn't see any fishing but there should be some. Phayao has Thailands best Khao Soy that I think is better than in Bangkok. Good coffee is hard to find. I like the Phayao Northern Lake Hotel (054 411 123) which is a short walk from the bus station and about the center of town.

What? No nightlife in Phayao? Hmmmm go to BM Club, lots of action there!

Went to a bar last night, that is better than anything I've ever seen in Chiangrai. Very Thai place, with tour buses down by the lake. Litter is minimal, and so is the dog pile problem. You do see the Laos influence, like you do in UTH. I would give it a B, but since the girls are so pretty; B+.

• Like 2

I trade stocks in the US during the week, Sat/Suns are slow days. I don't like being out on the roads with drunks so I just lay low on week-ends. I'm looking for a condo to buy...and that is done by internet. Found two of the best Pad Thai places, ever. Can't find a good noodle shop like CM and CR. Fruit carts are lacking, too. Once I get situated, I will probably open a May Bank account and trade the SET. I only go to shopping malls during the week, so I'm not missing CM too much. Nothing to invest in here, and that would be the top reason for me to not stay more long term. Resting a sore back from the renovation of two homes in 6 months, might even be a good reason to go meet some nurses. Massage is 120 thb per hour, probably will give that a try.

Basically, as long as the dogs ain't biting, and the drivers aren't trying too hard to run me down, I'm content with the beautiful scenery and some nice peace and quiet.

Visited Phayao two days ago, beautiful scenery around the town. Place seems to be quiet but certainly not a village. I don't know enough about the place yet but from my initial impression I would consider investing there. I'm in education as some may know and I believe a language school could work there, nothing spectacular but should be able to make some profit to keep the head above water.

Edited by MacWalen

My biggest complaint is the girls aren't slutty enough. They were nice to me, however, it seems more like one of those thai treasure places, that just isn't real interested in farang. A micrcosm of Cha'am Central. They do sell the BKK Post at the main news stand.

Just made my reservation at the North Lake.....about 380 thb per night. Going for a long weekend. I'll let you all know how it is. I love fresh fish, too. Thanks!

Hi Thighlander, going to Phayao next month and few nights stay at The North Lake, you just been there so how is the hotel and do there have parking lots..thanks

Just made my reservation at the North Lake.....about 380 thb per night. Going for a long weekend. I'll let you all know how it is. I love fresh fish, too. Thanks!

Hi Thighlander, going to Phayao next month and few nights stay at The North Lake, you just been there so how is the hotel and do there have parking lots..thanks

The online reviews of this hotel are not great with many guests saying it is dirty and rundown so it would be great if the OP could comment on the hotel itself.wink.png
On the map it looks like there is ample parking so wouldn’t expect that to be a problem.

My toilet was dirty, when I got the room, and was never cleaned. Low ceiling in the lobby, you could easily take a broken CFL in the forehead or eyes if you aren't ducking. There is some kind of school there, so it's crazy for an hour or so in the afternoons...no big deal. There is parking and it is secure. Dogs seem to come out at night. I really didn't see any alternatives in the same price range, because I do plan on returning to Phayao. What's funny is after coming to Thailand for 15 years I had my best and worst Pad Thai ever in the last week. Best being 100 m down the street from the NL. Grey haired thai man, using big flames...and two nights ago, had it at the night bazaar in CHiang Rai...worst ever. Tasted like stale cheerios. This is going to be my last visit to Chiang Rai...they know how to charge Western prices, but they don't know how to deliver good, clean service. Other than a few small places, that took me years to find, most of it really sucks.