Have You Ever Stayed In A Remote Mekong Village?......

theblether

What do you mean by remote? Our village is on the Mekong (Ban Sob Kam) just outside Chiang Saen.

I don't think it qualifies really, but there's boat trips to be had, both official and unofficial, over to Laos, and a nice hotel at one end of the village. It's on the road from Chiang Saen to Chiang Kong.

It's quite busy, there's a big temple (Wat Phrathat Pah Ngao) which attracts a lot of visitors, so probably not the kind of 'remote' existence you mean :)

I'm sure there are a few less visited places along the river bank on the way to Chiang Kong though.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not along the Mekong River, but I've stayed in several Thai villages where the only electricity was supplied by vehicle batteries. The children were delightful and the adults seemed honest and hard working. Only the local teacher seemed to speak much English, and my Thai is very limited, so any conversation was almost nil. However, after walking in all directions for a couple of hours I realized that I would become very bored if my stay lasted more than a few days in any one location.

It's quite amazing considering only a few hundred kilometres away is one of the world's most congested cities. Our village is remote enough for me. Its still a case of ebony and ivory but not much ivory going on!

BTW, like the new avatars mate...:D

• Like 1

Not living a million miles from Nong Khai we sometimes book a hotel and have a meal and a few beers over looking the mae naam kong,there is also a road that drives all the way along the river side for anyone wanting a scenic drive/vacation.

The thing is though, I quite fancy a few days of the rough living that the Thais endure in the remote villages. I was watching the guys fishing, watching others leading the water buffalo's, and even more tending to the land, and it got me thinking that would be a great experience too.

As long as I could get access to the Mekong to cool down at times then I would be fine, everything else would be handleable.

So many of us want to find our Shangri La, the village on the Mekong where they turned back time.

No mains power, no plumbing, no baht buses, no worries! Slum it for a few days with the natives.

But we have to do it really soon, coz the 21st century juggernaut is on its way, and will quickly erode the quaint way of life in this development vacuum.

Just by going to places like this, we are helping to destroy the very thing we seek.

So many of us want to find our Shangri La, the village on the Mekong where they turned back time.

No mains power, no plumbing, no baht buses, no worries! Slum it for a few days with the natives.

But we have to do it really soon, coz the 21st century juggernaut is on its way, and will quickly erode the quaint way of life in this development vacuum.

Just by going to places like this, we are helping to destroy the very thing we seek.

Very valid point. What to do? do nothing and watch it erode anyway? Or dip our toe in the water and take our only chance.......this process is way beyond our control, we can only deal with the hand played to us.

I have never stayed in a remote Mekong village but did spend over a week In a very remote Akha village about 20 years ago.. Ended up the village people had to provide human shields in the back of a pickup to get me out safely.Can be dangerous off the beaten path.

Edited by lovelomsak

I have never stayed in a remote Mekong village but did spend over a week In a very remote Akha village about 20 years ago.. Ended up the village people had to provide human shields in the back of a pickup to get me out safely.Can be dangerous off the beaten path.

Depends what you did to upset the natives.

Anyones daughter involved?

It looks like I'm being taken to a Mekong village about two hours north of here ( between Pak Beng and Luang Prabang ) to discuss staying there for a few nights.

The idea is for the slow boat to drop me off at the village the next time I'm here, and this village has a daily shuttle to L.P. every day so once I get fed up I can leave.

The discussion with the Headman of the village will be about who to stay with / or in my own shack. The proposal is for the villagers to show how they fish, and farm etc, in exchange for a nominal payment. I was told that the villagers would be more interested in practical things such as paper and pencils, foodstuffs etc than cash.

I quite fancy giving this a go, whether I last an hour or a week I don't know, but I've got the bottle to have a go.

It's also been suggested that if it works out okay with the villagers, they may be amenable to taking in a limited amount of people every month. I'll go see what I can sort out and let you know, and I'll get some more pics too.

I'm also going to see a Hmong hill tribe tomorrow, I've been told that they may be amenable to the same set up but personally I prefer the idea of diving into the Mekong and cooling off when it gets too warm.

• Like 2

I did years ago and I notice every fourth house was built by a Farang and was inhabited by the mother in law and co.

Has to be special beautiful breed of Thai women there, tongue.png when they are so liked by Falangs. Where is, was that place?rolleyes.gif

Edited by ALFREDO

At that time there was possibly, even -KHUN SA- still active. rolleyes.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khun_Sa

220px-Khun_Sa_%28photo_by_Satharn_Pairao

Edited by ALFREDO
  • Like 1

Messing with the missionary mafia were you?

Blether, watch out for those "hilltribe villages" I found most to be depressingly exploitative, the ones set up explicitly for tourists are like human zoos, the people bought in and not free to leave, like the beggars on Sukhumvit.

For a more authentic experience just rent a 4WD yourself and get out there, maybe pick up a guide/translator on your own if you think you need that.

• Like 1

Mekong Village.....

Posted Image

Mekong farmer boarding the boat.....

Posted Image

Mekong Village.......

Posted Image

The ultimate in luxury

Posted Image

You made him lug all your stuff up the mountain didn't ya!..:lol:

Ok bets on, how long will Blether last in that village?

I've got a fiver on 2 days.:P

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago. With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok. The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon. The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen. The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story). We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire. They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village. The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village. This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.

• Like 1

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago.  With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok.  The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon.  The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen.  The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story).  We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire.   They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village.  The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village.  This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.   

Then the following morning, US jets napalmed em.
  • Like 2