Have You Ever Stayed In A Remote Mekong Village?......

theblether

Blether

Brilliant pics, hope you enjoy north Laos! This is my backyard - I live in Nong Khiaw 3 hours minibus drive NE of Luang Prabang. If you enjoyed the Mekong slowboat down from Houayxai for the nature and sights I can HIGHLY recommend the Nam Ou boat ride from Nong Khiaw to Muang Khua or otherway round. Simply stunning nature, mountains, jungle, isolated Hmong & Khamu villages on the river, even more isolated Akha villages inland. No organised tourism, the real deal...just find the village headman and ask to stay. Ofcourse they'll think you're absolutely mad because no one has ever visited them before, so you'll be centre of attraction :-). 6 hour boat ride town-to-town....one of the last treasures left in this part of the world.

I will be up there this year thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

sure then you get sick and closest hospital is 5 hour away by boat..

An adventurous spirit you have ney.

and...5 hours is nothing.

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago. With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok. The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon. The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen. The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story). We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire. They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village. The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village. This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.

Then the following morning, US jets napalmed em.

I must be twisted, but I larfed n larfed.

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago.  With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok.  The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon.  The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen.  The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story).  We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire.   They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village.  The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village.  This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.   

Yeah, Napalm, hilarious. :(

Depending on whether you took the 1174 or the 1020 to Chiang Khong, you could have driven right past our house along the way. How one views these things often comes down to where one is coming from.

For example during the same timeframe, we made a little trip to Chiang Mai. Coming from Phaya Mengrai it felt like we were visiting a major urban metropolis but the many foreign visitors we saw while there, probably had a very different take on the place.

Those little grass shacks in your photos make for lovely memories but I for one would not like to live like that, maybe back in my twenties but not now.wink.png
  • Like 1

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago. With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok. The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon. The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen. The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story). We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire. They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village. The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village. This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.

No as a matter of fact krisb... over time the villagers came to our base camp dispensary walking over many kilometers ... bringing very sick fellow villagers - which we treated or evacuated to Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen or other places,. We were constantly rewarded with various heart felt gifts from each village. Our team engineers went back to the villages and built bridges, dug wells, widened trails into roads and performed other other actions. On a happier side we established well mother and well baby clinics - then later a tuberculosis clinic which became known through out the region. I recall helping one young girl - late teenager who was afflicted with an awful keloid tumor that had attached to her earlobe and neck. I removed it and the girl was able to straighten her head and neck for the first time in years. My reward was the look on the faces of her parents. Then there were the kids with cobra bites - we never lost a snake bite patient ... The hardest part was when a child died in my arms from pneumonia or cholera. But I wasn't going to go into all that until you posted your asinine remark. I plan on visiting those villages later this year...

Thank you for that story. I had tears in my eyes after reading it. My experiences in the villages have all been rewarding and the main reason why I'm trying to learn some Thai language.

No as a matter of fact krisb... over time the villagers came to our base camp dispensary walking over many kilometers ... bringing very sick fellow villagers - which we treated or evacuated to Sakon Nakhon, Khon Kaen or other places,. We were constantly rewarded with various heart felt gifts from each village. Our team engineers went back to the villages and built bridges, dug wells, widened trails into roads and performed other other actions. On a happier side we established well mother and well baby clinics - then later a tuberculosis clinic which became known through out the region. I recall helping one young girl - late teenager who was afflicted with an awful keloid tumor that had attached to her earlobe and neck. I removed it and the girl was able to straighten her head and neck for the first time in years. My reward was the look on the faces of her parents. Then there were the kids with cobra bites - we never lost a snake bite patient ... The hardest part was when a child died in my arms from pneumonia or cholera. But I wasn't going to go into all that until you posted your asinine remark. I plan on visiting those villages later this year...

Perhaps you would also like to pay a visit to the UXO museum in Vientiane, Laos to see how other countries are clearing up the mess that is still today causing casualties in Laos bah.gif

• Like 2

Well it might be nice to cruise by sites like this, but what do imagine yourself doing, if you stopped for a few days? I've been to a few places like this, bigger than this actually, some houseboats and things, and some small villages, and couldn't wait to leave, after about 10 mintues!!! And I literally mean 10 minutes! I stayed once for about 3-4 days at some village near BKK, I don't even know the name, but it was about an hour from the old airport, and seemed like Issan to me, although I have never been to Issan. What I imagine Issan is like. It was some of the worst days/nights of my life! I was supposed to stay much longer, like 10 days, and the reason I know how far the airport was, is because I wisely chose to leave early and fly home! But maybe blether you will enjoy it, but somehow, I doubt it! Or it might just be me, who is unable to cope with such boredom? In a place like this, I am looking for UBC and some aircon!

it's your right to be bored and not like something.

Some may disapprove of that however.

Were you there?

Remote villages ... Yep ... once upon a time over 40 years ago.  With the U.S. Army Special Forces conducting recon and civic action patrols, we often walked jungle trails for most of a week to reach some little Isaan Ban Nok.  The Hill People were very accepting of our presence but they looked at us like we were from the moon.  The old ladies would wave their hands in front of my eyes to see if I was blind as the only people they knew with blue eye were old people with cataracts. We were told that we were the first Caucasians they had ever seen.  The villagers went all out for us ... bringing in fish from the river, brought out special foods (some a bit too special - another story).  We handed out cigars to the village elders and drank their rice wine - sitting in a circle around a fire.   They invited us to sleep in the small wooden Wat in the center of the tiny village.  The 'facilities' were two out houses suspended over a creek down stream from the village.  This story could go on for pages but suffice it to say it was quite an experience.   

Yeah, Napalm, hilarious. :(
Jeez lighten up guys. I was only joking ok. Perhaps it was in poor taste and for that I do apologize ok. Wrong country, it was Vietnam not Laos.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Crikeys if I ever get so decrepit that I let my decisions be dictated by how long it takes to get to "civilized" health care, please put me down then and there.

If you want to design your life around eliminating risks might as well book yourself into the nursing home now, let the bingo and balloon volleyball be the high points of the rest of your life.

• Like 1

Blether

Brilliant pics, hope you enjoy north Laos! This is my backyard - I live in Nong Khiaw 3 hours minibus drive NE of Luang Prabang. If you enjoyed the Mekong slowboat down from Houayxai for the nature and sights I can HIGHLY recommend the Nam Ou boat ride from Nong Khiaw to Muang Khua or otherway round. Simply stunning nature, mountains, jungle, isolated Hmong & Khamu villages on the river, even more isolated Akha villages inland. No organised tourism, the real deal...just find the village headman and ask to stay. Ofcourse they'll think you're absolutely mad because no one has ever visited them before, so you'll be centre of attraction :-). 6 hour boat ride town-to-town....one of the last treasures left in this part of the world.

I will be up there this year thumbsup.gif

Great! make sure you pop in and have a beer!

I have a friend named Tom who resides in Sakon Nakhon. Tom is a consummate explorer of North East Thailand and has been for many years. He goes by the moniker 'Tom Isaan'. Tom has a website where he chronicles his many years of exploring the greater Issan area in and around Udon thani over to Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon ... down to Khon Kaen and Kalasin including the adjacent Mekong River basin area. It seems that Tom has been to nearly every nook and cranny in this part of Isaan. The subjects Tom researches, explores and documents includes Seri Thai - the 'Free Thai' populist resistance to the Japanese occupation of Thailand in WWII. This includes old paramilitary camps and airstrips. Tom also documents Thai Historical sites and Buddhist shrines and monuments. Recently Tom has helped document the location of my old Army camp in the Phu Phan area. Many GPS coordinates for the rfegion have been recorded. If you are exploring out of the way places in this area of the Isaan region - then you might want to contact Tom via his website - perhaps arrange a visit in Sakon Nakhon. Tom also has an explorer buddy named Larry who lives in Khon Kaen.

http://isaan-live.com/non-muang-chumpae-khon-kaen-isaan-thailand-2/

http://isaan-live.com/prae-pan-and-the-handicraft-center-for-northeastern-women-developmentkhon-kaenthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/khrong-chandawong-memorialsawang-daen-din-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/what-happened-on-28-january-1945-in-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/sites-of-historical-military-significance-in-northeast-thailandf/

If any of you have a Thai spouse and children - then you might find that Tom's collection of Thai Historic information to be a valuable aid in the children's education about the history of their country.

• Like 1

I have a friend named Tom who resides in Sakon Nakhon. Tom is a consummate explorer of North East Thailand and has been for many years. He goes by the moniker 'Tom Isaan'. Tom has a website where he chronicles his many years of exploring the greater Issan area in and around Udon thani over to Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon ... down to Khon Kaen and Kalasin including the adjacent Mekong River basin area. It seems that Tom has been to nearly every nook and cranny in this part of Isaan. The subjects Tom researches, explores and documents includes Seri Thai - the 'Free Thai' populist resistance to the Japanese occupation of Thailand in WWII. This includes old paramilitary camps and airstrips. Tom also documents Thai Historical sites and Buddhist shrines and monuments. Recently Tom has helped document the location of my old Army camp in the Phu Phan area. Many GPS coordinates for the rfegion have been recorded. If you are exploring out of the way places in this area of the Isaan region - then you might want to contact Tom via his website - perhaps arrange a visit in Sakon Nakhon. Tom also has an explorer buddy named Larry who lives in Khon Kaen.

http://isaan-live.com/non-muang-chumpae-khon-kaen-isaan-thailand-2/

http://isaan-live.com/prae-pan-and-the-handicraft-center-for-northeastern-women-developmentkhon-kaenthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/khrong-chandawong-memorialsawang-daen-din-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/what-happened-on-28-january-1945-in-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/sites-of-historical-military-significance-in-northeast-thailandf/

If any of you have a Thai spouse and children - then you might find that Tom's collection of Thai Historic information to be a valuable aid in the children's education about the history of their country.

To what extent do Thais have a consistent history? I was taught history at school, and the history I was taught was subtly different from that taught to my English compatriots beyond the Tweed. To what extent can the regions of Thailand teach their own history? One can't rreally criticise the Thais for having their own history, until one has thoroughly deconstructed one's own,

SC

Your quite a good photographer Blether. Are they just off your phone?

Truthfully I'm a rank amateur, I use a Samsung bridge camera ( I think that's what it's called ) 26x zoom and I think it's 16.5 pix. I don't know how to use it correctly, I'll need to sit down and study it.

These days digital cameras can make us all look good, I've seen some incredible work by other members here on Thaivisa. I recommend people to go have a look at the photography sub forum, or have a look at Chiang Rai images 2013, and others. Villagefarang, SamuiiJimmy, FabianFred, Kan Win and others are masters.

You will be gobsmacked when you see many of their photo's.

• Like 1

Gorgeous pics man, thanks a lot!

The photos hit me for a loop. They're something. I was awed by the waterfall. Very beautiful.

Thank you for sharing. They are better than the usual postcard, although you could have posed in your thong to add perspective.....

Anyway, wow. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I'm heading for my flight to Chiang Mai in 5 minutes ( Laos Airlines, Luang Prabang-CNX $155.00 ). I'll do a trip report back in CM and post it in the SE forum later today. In the meantime another couple of pics of the waterfall...,

936363_546254018746258_550691231_n.jpg

971895_546260285412298_713541422_n.jpg

Edited by theblether
  • Like 2

TexasRanger, on 05 Jun 2013 - 11:28, said:
itchybum, on 05 Jun 2013 - 10:03, said:
falkan, on 04 Jun 2013 - 23:13, said:

krisb, on 05 Jun 2013 - 08:41, said:

JDGRUEN, on 05 Jun 2013 - 00:37, said:

Yeah, Napalm, hilarious. sad.png

ah, a man who thinks black humour only makes negroes laugh
  • Like 1

Perhaps I missed it in the thread but how do you get to the waterfalls? Can you swim in them?

Motorbike, car, minibus, bicycle......

You used to be able to swim there but I think they tried to stop people doing so some years ago.

The waterfall pictured isn't exactly a secret. Nice place though. They also have a bear sanctuary at the same place.