Have You Ever Stayed In A Remote Mekong Village?......

theblether

Mate ... no needs to travel  to the Northern Wilds ...

Rural Thailand is alive and well closer to the Cities then you think.

Rustic accommodation we can provide ...

LR DSCF6399.JPG

Suitable for the larger family

However, should you wish something more interment intimate ...

LR DSCF5536.JPG

Couples Cottage (with private en-suite and pantry)

LR Baa Tdim 054.jpg

Private Gondola Tours

Long boat ride ... no problem!

We can even offer a spot of fishing

Traditional method.

When can we expect your booking?

Well you did ask for "expansive replies"

More seriously, I did stay at the Lisu Lodge when I first came to Thailand and found that quite enchanting.

We got a sanitised version of the Hill Tribes there.

Glad you enjoyed the trip and I'm sure there are more photos to share ...  Posted Image

Great post! :D

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a friend named Tom who resides in Sakon Nakhon. Tom is a consummate explorer of North East Thailand and has been for many years. He goes by the moniker 'Tom Isaan'. Tom has a website where he chronicles his many years of exploring the greater Issan area in and around Udon thani over to Nakhon Phanom, Sakon Nakhon ... down to Khon Kaen and Kalasin including the adjacent Mekong River basin area. It seems that Tom has been to nearly every nook and cranny in this part of Isaan. The subjects Tom researches, explores and documents includes Seri Thai - the 'Free Thai' populist resistance to the Japanese occupation of Thailand in WWII. This includes old paramilitary camps and airstrips. Tom also documents Thai Historical sites and Buddhist shrines and monuments. Recently Tom has helped document the location of my old Army camp in the Phu Phan area. Many GPS coordinates for the rfegion have been recorded. If you are exploring out of the way places in this area of the Isaan region - then you might want to contact Tom via his website - perhaps arrange a visit in Sakon Nakhon. Tom also has an explorer buddy named Larry who lives in Khon Kaen.

http://isaan-live.com/non-muang-chumpae-khon-kaen-isaan-thailand-2/

http://isaan-live.com/prae-pan-and-the-handicraft-center-for-northeastern-women-developmentkhon-kaenthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/khrong-chandawong-memorialsawang-daen-din-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/what-happened-on-28-january-1945-in-sakon-nakhonthailand/

http://isaan-live.com/sites-of-historical-military-significance-in-northeast-thailandf/

If any of you have a Thai spouse and children - then you might find that Tom's collection of Thai Historic information to be a valuable aid in the children's education about the history of their country.

To what extent do Thais have a consistent history? I was taught history at school, and the history I was taught was subtly different from that taught to my English compatriots beyond the Tweed. To what extent can the regions of Thailand teach their own history? One can't rreally criticise the Thais for having their own history, until one has thoroughly deconstructed one's own,

SC

SC ... I have read your series of questions several times. I am not a Thai historian and really cannot properly respond about consistency or regional teaching. Also the statement about criticizing the Thais - well - I can't related to this statement at all. On the other hand, I have read several lengthy articles about Thai history going back about 500 years including the various occupations of the Southern border area with Malaysia and the rise and fall episodes of the Ayutthaya based kingdoms which I found to be fascinatingly complex. Plus I recently found a lengthy article relative to the communist influence on Thailand beginning around the time of the Chinese Communist Revolution into the 1970s. Alternatively, what my friend Tom has to offer is information involving historic locations in Isaan most of which is more modern history of the last 70 years or so. All in all I don't think this rather droll discussion adds much to this topic thread and believe Blether's photos are much more interesting - even exciting.

• Like 1

Thanks JDGRUEN........I followed one of your links and ended up getting lost in Thailand 1967, it was a truly fascinating experience and some of the photos posted were mystical, a Thailand now lost, as well as photos of youth now long gone.

There's a well of knowledge on this website that is hidden to many due to the amount of witless cowardly trolls that appear here. What they are doing is preventing a whole world of knowledge from opening up to all of us that are interested in Thailand and Thai history, including recent Thai history.

That's everybody's loss.

Thanks JDGRUEN........I followed one of your links and ended up getting lost in Thailand 1967, it was a truly fascinating experience and some of the photos posted were mystical, a Thailand now lost, as well as photos of youth now long gone.

There's a well of knowledge on this website that is hidden to many due to the amount of witless cowardly trolls that appear here. What they are doing is preventing a whole world of knowledge from opening up to all of us that are interested in Thailand and Thai history, including recent Thai history.

That's everybody's loss.

I got lost in Thailand in 1967 ... took me half a day to find my unit again.. funny how one patch of jungle looks just like another :)

• Like 1