Have You Ever Stayed In A Remote Mekong Village?......

theblether

I took the slow boat from Huay Xai to Lunag Prabang yesterday, we over-nighted in a place called Pak Beng in Laos. I must say the drive from Chiang Rai to Chiang Khong was stunning, Chiang Khong being the border crossing to Huay Xai in Laos.

Anyway, we went past dozens of remote villages, and the boat often stopped off to pick up and drop off passengers. Although I'm in Laos it got me thinking, have any of you ever stayed in a remote Mekong village? In Thailand or elsewhere? A lot of these villages look like the land where time stood still, and if I had a better grip of the language I would love to stay in one for a few days.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe......I was talking to a couple of other travellers who were bemoaning being late to the party. The Islands in Thailand are nothing like the idyll they used to be, and real " Thailand " seems to be disappearing fast. In fact real Asia seems to disappearing fast too. I was looking at this......

947080_545895085448818_19759631_n.jpg

and this......

970075_545894992115494_1084041228_n.jpg

and this......

580685_545563455481981_473933381_n.jpg

and thinking I could be doing with some time in a real Thai village......before it disappears forever. sad.png

• Like 2

I've done the slow boat trip several times....there are a couple of very remote villages and if you ask they will drop you off there and you can wave down the boat the next day etc. I didn't get off anywhere except pak ben but a couple of backpackers got off at one of the other villages....not sure the village would have any guest houses, probably not...but I am sure something could be arranged for not much money.

I've done the slow boat trip several times....there are a couple of very remote villages and if you ask they will drop you off there and you can wave down the boat the next day etc. I didn't get off anywhere except pak ben but a couple of backpackers got off at one of the other villages....not sure the village would have any guest houses, probably not...but I am sure something could be arranged for not much money.

Thanks for that pomchop, it looks amazing, and it's now on my things to do list. This is a trip I would highly recommend.

The closest I've seen in Thailand was the journey from Tha Ton down to Chiang Rai, there seemed to be a fair few remote villages there too. One of my pals is hatching a plan for us to canoe that route in a couple of months if anyone is interested.

Well it might be nice to cruise by sites like this, but what do imagine yourself doing, if you stopped for a few days? I've been to a few places like this, bigger than this actually, some houseboats and things, and some small villages, and couldn't wait to leave, after about 10 mintues!!! And I literally mean 10 minutes! I stayed once for about 3-4 days at some village near BKK, I don't even know the name, but it was about an hour from the old airport, and seemed like Issan to me, although I have never been to Issan. What I imagine Issan is like. It was some of the worst days/nights of my life! I was supposed to stay much longer, like 10 days, and the reason I know how far the airport was, is because I wisely chose to leave early and fly home! But maybe blether you will enjoy it, but somehow, I doubt it! Or it might just be me, who is unable to cope with such boredom? In a place like this, I am looking for UBC and some aircon!

Edited by metisdead
Overly large font reset to normal.

It's on the cards phronesis. the kayaks are available and ready to go, transport to Tha Ton is easy, and back. My only concern at the minute is the state of the river systems in August. In saying that the River Kok is regarded as being slow moving at the best of times.

I'll ask my pal how he's getting on with his plans.

I can see your point amykat, I'm not liable to get bored that easy, I like talking to myself. The two things that would do me in are the heat and mosquito's, I'm not bothered about snakes and scorpions and the like, in fact there was a scorpion on the boat this morning, half the folk on the boat started screaming hysterically and jumped up on the seats........that includes the guys.

A local wandered over, picked it up and threw it overboard. It put me in mind of the Scorpion and Frog story.

Anyway, of a daytime I would just join the rest of the buffalo's and spend all day in the Mekong.biggrin.png

....... before it disappears forever. One has to hurry.

What I have seen in Thailand in the last few years is not just "fast economic-growth", it's more like an "economic-explosion", that will reach into the last corner of Thailand in no time at all.

Nevertheless, will do this trip this year (..........before it disappears forever). Probably by myself. My farang-buddies seem to prefer the beach.

Cheers.

....... before it disappears forever. One has to hurry.

What I have seen in Thailand in the last few years is not just "fast economic-growth", it's more like an "economic-explosion", that will reach into the last corner of Thailand in no time at all.

Nevertheless, will do this trip this year (..........before it disappears forever). Probably by myself. My farang-buddies seem to prefer the beach.

Cheers.

That's the spirit Swissie, the islands are dying on their feet, any natural charm is going fast. Never mind Phuket, Chaweng is already a concrete jungle, what a hole that place is. It's actually a Thai tragedy, they are strangling their birthright with over development and greed.

No wonder the Swede's have stopped coming ( news thread, visits down 25% in a year ). The Islands are going the way of the Costa Del Sol. Not a good role model. sad.png

My wifes cousin is married to a Laotian lady at the banks of Maenam Kong. Sometimes we visit.

Against the boredom, dirt, heat, insects, food etc. MIL prepares a few pipes - after 2/3 puffs everything is easy peacy.

• Like 1

My wifes cousin is married to a Laotian lady at the banks of Maenam Kong. Sometimes we visit.

Against the boredom, dirt, heat, insects, food etc. MIL prepares a few pipes - after 2/3 puffs everything is easy peacy.

biggrin.png

You should get the MIL to open a guest house, she would be over run. whistling.gif

I have! That was in Ubon Rachathani province. We started from Khong Jiem town which where the Mekong River and Moon River (Pak Moon) meet. The Pak Moon Dam is located not far from there. We took a motorboat ride up river to this small village. I remember taking a bath in the river. A fisherman had his feet in the water and a fish bit his toe - I kid you not. We slept in a hut and I thought I was going to surely have malaria. No I didn't. Another day, we sneaked into Laos (no visa) to this village there they were selling all sorts of wildlife or wildlife parts (bear gall bladder, porcupine quill, skins of large cats, and others). Main market were Thai Nationals who bought them because they believe they had medicinal properties.

• Like 1

Any cute sisters in this family?

:D

You should get the MIL to open a guest house, she would be over run. :whistling:

It's always near leaving time, when the cousin starts to make me nervous with his business ideas...

Only once, we went by car to Laos, too much hassle, so we get picked up by boat, somewhere between

Nong Kai and Muktahan.

• Like 1

It's on the cards phronesis. the kayaks are available and ready to go, transport to Tha Ton is easy, and back. My only concern at the minute is the state of the river systems in August. In saying that the River Kok is regarded as being slow moving at the best of times.

I'll ask my pal how he's getting on with his plans.

I've also done the tha ton trip many times....the mae kok sure isn't slow moving during the rainy season....moves very fast and lots of tree limbs etc floating down and lots of rocks a few inches below the surface...better know what you're doing during rainy season or better yet hire a local boat....during dry times the problem is too shallow and some places have to get out and walk a bit....there are a few villages along the mae kok that might work out ok as remote.

That was my concern pomchop, I wanted the boatman expertly navigate the river and even then he still grounded a couple of times. In our favour the kayaks will be smaller than the longboat. On the other hand the river could be a challenge in full spate.

I'm not the lead man in this idea, I'll speak to my pal and see if we can work something out, it may even be an idea to private hire one of the longboats for a few days to guide us and support us, it's not that expensive. From memory private hire is about 3,500 a day. It would be worth it just for the safety back up alone.