Thai Language.....where Else Is It Useful......

theblether

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao.

Burmese, however, is completely different.

Cambodian (Khmer) is also entirely different from Thai, although they use similar alphabets, and Thai has a number of loanwords originating in Khmer.

Vietnamese and Malaysian are both totally different from Thai as well.

because so many receive thai tv in Cambodia, many understand basic Thai.

As a caveat, you can speak thai to get around in Lao and cambodia, but only as a tourist. Settl down somewhere and you will quickly find that your Thai becomes a source of resentment -- the locals will soon bgin to wonder when you will begin to make the effort in their real language that you made with thai

Fair point, I reckon it would be fairly easy to move from Thai to Laos, how about Thai to Cambodian?

Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible. I know that much as I have no problem speaking Thai in Laos and having the responses in Lao. A bit like going from Oxford to the thickest of Glaswegian accents.

I don't speak Khmer, but friends who speak both tell me that there are a plethora of words in Khmer used in Thai, but perhaps in slightly different contexts. I guess if I sat down and studied it for a year, or went to live there, then I'd be able to speak it. But the difference is in a very rough sense probably equivalent to German and English.

Perhaps the Lao listeners understand Thai for the reasons already given, and not because the languages are interchangeable

My Thai fiends will speak in their Issan dialect when they do not want some of the southerners listening in.

Seems like the isaan language has been morphing rapidly; I had no problems speaking Lao in Loei, but in Nongkhai and other areas it was clear there was a line between Isaan and Lao speak. Many dialects, I know. I guess when that glorious era went on to wipe out the native scripts of the Isaan alphabet and destroy much of their literature, the thaification began to work effortlessly.

I think Thai is useful anywhere there are thais. they hold he language in high regard, so knowing it makes things a bit more friendly and trusting.

Edited by hookedondhamma

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm... a variation on the same theme...

Like it or not - more than half of the world speaks English.

Therefore, from the points of view of Business, Communicability, Culture etc. it is far more important for Thais to speak English than visa-versa.

But I was severely bashed here for these outrageous ideas... think it's time for spanking again. biggrin.png

Didn't we explore this topic to death? Please stop these provocations...

A tad too sensitive are we? Where was it asked if learning Thai was more important than learning English? The topic is.......

" The Thai Language......Where Else Is It Useful "

Feel free to answer that question and leave English out of it.

theblether, you are right and wrong at the same time. I was merely addressing 'where else' in your question. As to being too sensitive on this issue - you missed me - English is not my mother tongue. It's my second language. smile.png

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao.

Burmese, however, is completely different.

Cambodian (Khmer) is also entirely different from Thai, although they use similar alphabets, and Thai has a number of loanwords originating in Khmer.

Vietnamese and Malaysian are both totally different from Thai as well.

because so many receive thai tv in Cambodia, many understand basic Thai.

As a caveat, you can speak thai to get around in Lao and cambodia, but only as a tourist. Settl down somewhere and you will quickly find that your Thai becomes a source of resentment -- the locals will soon bgin to wonder when you will begin to make the effort in their real language that you made with thai

Fair point, I reckon it would be fairly easy to move from Thai to Laos, how about Thai to Cambodian?

Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible. I know that much as I have no problem speaking Thai in Laos and having the responses in Lao. A bit like going from Oxford to the thickest of Glaswegian accents.

I don't speak Khmer, but friends who speak both tell me that there are a plethora of words in Khmer used in Thai, but perhaps in slightly different contexts. I guess if I sat down and studied it for a year, or went to live there, then I'd be able to speak it. But the difference is in a very rough sense probably equivalent to German and English.

Perhaps the Lao listeners understand Thai for the reasons already given, and not because the languages are interchangeable

My Thai fiends will speak in their Issan dialect when they do not want some of the southerners listening in.

Seems like the isaan language has been morphing rapidly; I had no problems speaking Lao in Loei, but in Nongkhai and other areas it was clear there was a line between Isaan and Lao speak. Many dialects, I know. I guess when that glorious era went on to wipe out the native scripts of the Isaan alphabet and destroy much of their literature, the thaification began to work effortlessly.

I think Thai is useful anywhere there are thais. they hold he language in high regard, so knowing it makes things a bit more friendly and trusting.

I suppose here is your answer. Haven't been much around Thailand, so count me as ignorant in this. Now that we know I'm not being touchy about English as such, I still believe in what I said, though it is not what you asked about.wai.gif

^^ Accepting that English is not your first language, you did have a go by saying " please stop these provocations".......

There is nothing provocative about asking where else knowing the Thai language is useful. Anyway I've just spent a cracking few hours with the locals and I reckon it would be quite easy to understand Laos, the languages appear effectively interchangeable.

• Like 1

I get strange looks back here in Canada when I say "Kraap pun Ka" when someone gives me something.

that's cause its korp kun ka.

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

I get strange looks back here in Canada when I say "Kraap pun Ka" when someone gives me something.

The romanization of Thai kills me everytime :-)

I thought there ws a srandard somewhere, though it doesn't seem to be enforced anywhere except roadsigns. Normally for those ons who can speak it it's fairly simple to make it the Thai from the romanizaton but to those that quite can't yet, I imagine it must be hell.

Edited by hookedondhamma

^^ Accepting that English is not your first language, you did have a go by saying " please stop these provocations".......

There is nothing provocative about asking where else knowing the Thai language is useful.  Anyway I've just spent a cracking few hours with the locals and I reckon it would be quite easy to understand Laos, the languages appear effectively interchangeable. 

Sabai dee mai becomes sabai dee bor, or if they say that to you answer sabai Dee yuu. Kun tam alai is het yung. Falang is buk si dah.

Sap illi derrr they understand!

Yes, if you care for whatever reason to build better relationships with or get better value out of Thai people then Thai is useful for those purposes.

It is also true that your investing that amount of time and trouble for those purposes will be suspect to some, accurate and/or fair or not.

The romanization of Thai kills me everytime :-)

I thought there ws a srandard somewhere, though it doesn't seem to be enforced anywhere except roadsigns. Normally for those ons who can speak it it's fairly simple to make it the Thai from the romanizaton but to those that quite can't yet, I imagine it must be hell.

Hmm, sorry I've lost you there mate? I don't quite understand.

I thought there ws a srandard somewhere, though it doesn't seem to be enforced anywhere except roadsigns.

Not even there, I've often sat at a given intersection and seen the same Thai road or placename spelt three different ways, each department has its own book.

And be grateful, if they were to standardize it would be on the one that focuses on distinguishing between the Pali and Sanskrit derivations, farthest removed from a usable English phonetic transcription.

Sorry Kris; I meant the way we hear Thai and then spell it it in Roman letters can cause all sorts of weirdness - makes me wonder how successful those phrasebooks are without the audio recordings. But then again Thai typing is forbidden here so that's just how it is I guess.

Oooh I just read the post I made ... I forgot to double-check the autotype :-/

Edited by hookedondhamma

There is nothing provocative about asking where else knowing the Thai language is useful. Anyway I've just spent a cracking few hours with the locals and I reckon it would be quite easy to understand Laos, the languages appear effectively interchangeable.

You are absolutely right. I apologize. The subtlety of English sometimes escapes my understanding.

The actual reason for my response comes hot on the heels of a similar discussion about necessity for Expats to learn Thai. My opinion was strongly negative. As a result I butted in. Hope no harm done.

Mentally my remark about 'provocation' was a continuation of the mentioned discussion.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

Sorry Kris; I meant the way we hear Thai and then spell it it in Roman letters can cause all sorts of weirdness - makes me wonder how successful those phrasebooks are without the audio recordings. But then again Thai typing is forbidden here so that's just how it is I guess.

Oooh I just read the post I made ... I forgot to double-check the autotype :-/

Other side of the coin is my wife's family and their Thai id cards. Their surnames spelt 3 different ways! Not bad considering its only got 5 letters.

• Like 1

Someone asked about Cambodia with no answer. I have never been to a non-English country where more English is spoken by the common person. They have been hammering it for many years in the schools. They also readily accept the US dollar anywhere.

For instance in France it is common to find those who work with the public speaking English, but not so much the average person.

One wouldn't need to know Cambodian (Khmer) if that helps.

Sabai dee mai becomes sabai dee bor, or if they say that to you answer sabai Dee yuu. Kun tam alai is het yung. Falang is buk si dah.

Have you ever been anywhere near Laos?

Thats because of your face cream your wearing.....nothing to do with language.cheesy.gif

Thank you for the correction. I don't have my Thai dictionary here in Canada, so I was trying to go by memory. Actually, I usually just say something that "sounds" like Cup Kun kah and every Thai knows what I mean.

When closely listening to Thais I seldom hear anything that remotely sounds like how it is printed in dictionaries. A good example is the name "Kanchanaburi". If you say that to a Thai they won't know what you asked. But, say something that sort of sounds like "Gangedenapoli" and they will take you to the correct bus depot.

It's a funny world and I love it.

• Like 1

Back in the states it works great at picking up girls at Thai restaurants.

I also once met a Laotian guy back in the states. A Hmong. He spoke Thai because of watching Thai TV as a kid. He was missing several fingers of both hands because he played with a land mine.

Reminds me of a time when I visited a Thai restaurant in Brussels..

The service girls were Vietnamese, the bar man was from Laos and the chef was polish!

That's confusing. I wonder what language you used to order food? Thai would have worked with the Lao guy, but otherwise you've got Vietnamese, Polish and well the language of the land either French or Flemish or even English!

Similar story in the USA - I'll start by giving my impressions of Thai restaurants in El Paso, Texas. One Thai restaurant located in the general vicinity of the airport in El Paso's eastside is own and run by a Thai couple that I got to know - I believe the husband cooks the food but all the servers are African American. Only occasionally does the Thai cook come out and take orders himself. This restaurant probably makes the best Thai food in El Paso.

Another Thai restaurant had a Thai owner (former military and she is actually Thai-American and was born in the States I believe), but pretty much everyone else working for her was Hispanic. All the servers and pretty much all the chefs too (not sure if she might have had one Thai chef or if she was doing some of the cooking herself but I never saw any Thai people working in that restaurant apart from her and one temporary server, who is a personal friend of mine). However, my girlfriend (who is Thai) was refused a job there because apparently "she didn't have any fine dining and wine opening skills!" What a crock, considering such "skills" can be learned in the first hour on the job plus my girlfriend had previously worked as a server in a restaurant prior to that period. The Hispanic servers rarely knew what was on the menu and always had to confirm an order with us 2-3 times because "khao pad kung" and "khao rad kaphrao" were so unfamiliar to them.

In Albuquerque, NM the servers at a Thai restaurant there were white Americans, while the owner was a male Thai and the cooks were likely hispanic. At this restaurant orders were always correctly served.

In Thaitown, Los Angeles, CA where you would expect everyone to be Thai, the servers and cooks were but the cleaners were actually Hispanic! Gotta love that multicultural interaction though.

By contrast, in Australia you have a case of reverse racism when it comes to employing non-Thais and certainly non-Asians for any position at a Thai restaurant. A highly motivated Iranian PhD student, one of my dad's own students was refused a job as a server at a Thai restaurant near her university in Sydney, because she is not Thai! A very racist move that should have been referred to the anti-discrimination committee, but being from Iran she was probably used to being discriminated against as a woman and so probably didn't think much of this act of racial discrimination after initially being totally shocked of course.

^^ Excellent stuff Tomtomtom69 wai.gif

Yes good information, talk about taking the OP at face value!

As a general note, I find it hard to imagine a Thai learning Burmese.

Also, I find both the Burmese and the Khmer to be much more facile at learning other languages than Thais.

I suspect their cultural programming about Thai superiority to be at fault rather than genetics.

Edited by sunlong

For instance in France it is common to find those who work with the public speaking English, but not so much the average person.

Actually the French are all taught English in school - they just don't admit they can speak it while in France, real chip on their shoulder about their language, more sad than funny really.

Best is to start out trying to speak French to them, and if your skill level is really horrible, then - if it's an open-minded and kind person - they will take pity on you and switch to English.

But if you start out in English they'll take it as an insult.

By contrast, in Australia you have a case of reverse racism when it comes to employing non-Thais and certainly non-Asians for any position at a Thai restaurant. A highly motivated Iranian PhD student, one of my dad's own students was refused a job as a server at a Thai restaurant near her university in Sydney, because she is not Thai! A very racist move that should have been referred to the anti-discrimination committee, but being from Iran she was probably used to being discriminated against as a woman and so probably didn't think much of this act of racial discrimination after initially being totally shocked of course.

In most jurisdictions it is perfectly acceptable for a Thai restaurant to give preference to employing Thais for customer-contact positions, in order to give a more authentic overall experience to their customers.

Just as a company can require a young and beautiful receptionist for marketing purposes.

These common-sense exceptions only fall by the wayside where unions are allowed to override market realities, and countries/industries that allow that to happen will quickly find themselves on the decline.

Witness the US airlines as opposed to the Asian ones.

Edited by sunlong

There is nothing provocative about asking where else knowing the Thai language is useful.  Anyway I've just spent a cracking few hours with the locals and I reckon it would be quite easy to understand Laos, the languages appear effectively interchangeable. 

Actually not yet. Live next door though. Whole village speaks it. Are you referring to the words I used? If you want me to use it over issan even through its the same family I'm not very good but still can do like an amateur can. Their slang gets me. Probably always will.

How bout you, how's your Laos?

Actually not yet. Live next door though. Whole village speaks it. Are you referring to the words I used? If you want me to use it over issan even through its the same family I'm not very good but still can do like an amateur can. Their slang gets me. Probably always will.

Not as good as it should be after 10 years of living here sad.png. Isaan Lao is slightly different from Lao Lao. Falang is Falang and despite what others say, it does come from the word Farangse (French)

^^ Excellent stuff Tomtomtom69 wai.gif

Yes good information, talk about taking the OP at face value!

As a general note, I find it hard to imagine a Thai learning Burmese.

Also, I find both the Burmese and the Khmer to be much more facile at learning other languages than Thais.

I suspect their cultural programming about Thai superiority to be at fault rather than genetics.

Haha well I had some time on my hands, plus I have a lot of experience in this area so I decided to give some in-depth insight.

Thais aren't usually interested in learning Burmese and the few that can, mostly can't speak it very well. The ones that can are almost invariably residents of border towns (mainly Mae Sot, Tha Song Yang or Sangkhlaburi in Kanchanaburi province) and they have Burmese laborers working for them. Residents of these and other border towns that don't have Burmese laborers working for them generally can't speak even a word of Burmese. I have worked with a number of Thais and Burmese in these border areas in the agricultural sector. I remember an exchange between one Thai guy in Mae Sot who used to run one of the cargo crossing piers for cargo coming from Myanmar and a Burmese lady from Thamenyar in Kayin State where I was going to purchase some goods for my company - the lady barely understood this guy's Burmese but her Thai is flawless. Despite her poor educational background it turns out this lady has worked in the garment industry in Thailand and given her Pa-O ethnicity, her native language is actually closer to Thai than to Burmese but in order to communicate outside her village, a knowledge of Burmese is of course necessary. So you're right, Burmese etc. generally learn to speak Thai much more readily than Thais learning to speak any other language especially Burmese or Khmer etc.

lovelaos, on 06 Jun 2013 - 09:37, said:
krisb, on 05 Jun 2013 - 17:43, said:
lovelaos, on 05 Jun 2013 - 09:31, said:
krisb, on 04 Jun 2013 - 15:15, said:
theblether, on 04 Jun 2013 - 14:27, said:

Not as good as it should be after 10 years of living here sad.png. Isaan Lao is slightly different from Lao Lao. Falang is Falang and despite what others say, it does come from the word Farangse (French)

Lao seems to have fewer homonyms than Thai. Case in point: farang can mean either guava or westerner (or Frenchman) in Thai (though these days farangseht or khon farangseht is more common to describe a French person) but in Lao, mak see da is a guava while a westerner or Frenchman is a falang or khon falang (which can mean either a Frenchman or westerner).

Lao also seems to have more French, even Vietnamese and Chinese influences than Isarn Thai or Thai-Lao (depending on what you want to call it) although they are etymologically about 99% the same otherwise). However, Isarn Thai lacks a writing system, instead relying on standard Thai thus relegating Isarn Thai to being a spoken language only much like Swiss German is in Switzerland.

In Lao, males usually say "doy" which sounds a bit like the Chinese "dui" meaning right or correct when answering something in the affirmative. Females either say "doy" or "jao". I have never heard a Thai Isarn speaker use "doy" but maybe I wasn't listening for it. I should ask one of my Thai Isarn friends if she knows this word; I suspect she might but probably wouldn't use it herself or even any males she knows would use it.

Butter in Lao is "beu" or essentially "beurre" from the French, whereas in Thai it's "neuy".