Thai Language.....where Else Is It Useful......

theblether

I'm in Laos for a few days, I was talking to a Laos guy that said if you can speak Thai then you can be understood easily in Laos, he reckoned there was a 70% language similarity. I'm not amazed to hear that, and the gentleman went on to explain the similarity in language between Laos, Isaan and Northern Thailand.

I already knew there was a lot of Laos influence in the Thai areas mentioned. How useful would Thai be in the bordering countries? Is there much language similarity between Burmese and Thai for example?

My Thai is getting better from a poor start, it's encouraging to think that it could be used in other countries in the area.

@mods, I've put this in general and not the language forum as it's not Thai only related

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the states it works great at picking up girls at Thai restaurants.

I also once met a Laotian guy back in the states. A Hmong. He spoke Thai because of watching Thai TV as a kid. He was missing several fingers of both hands because he played with a land mine.

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao.

Burmese, however, is completely different.

Cambodian (Khmer) is also entirely different from Thai, although they use similar alphabets, and Thai has a number of loanwords originating in Khmer.

Vietnamese and Malaysian are both totally different from Thai as well.

• Like 1

I also once met a Laotian guy back in the states. A Hmong. He spoke Thai because of watching Thai TV as a kid. He was missing several fingers of both hands because he played with a land mine.

sad.png I stayed at a guest house managed by a Hmong last night, he said he'd been living in Laos for 11 years and felt at home. He volunteered the info that he was Hmong incidentally. When you read and hear some of the stories of the people's who live in Thailand it really brings home how difficult life can be for many.

Although I speak passable Lao, I found that most people in Laos can understand Thai, both due to the similarity of Lao and Thai, and because Lao people like to watch Thai TV programmes.

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao

This is also what I read, and when I was working in Yangon I raised this question with the Shan owners of a local restaurant. I asked them to speak Shan to me and I'd speak Thai to them. They did this and we could not understand a single word of what the other was saying..... smile.png

Burmese is very different from Thai, but I can see some small similarities with the subscripts in both languages to form the sound 'u' and 'uuu'.

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1

Like as said Laos people learn Thai from TV so they can come and work here. They do pronounce words differently when not trying.

I was told that last night too, I did ask what their favourite Thai soap was but the name went right over my head. I try to avoid Thai TV, I want to enjoy life.

Reminds me of a time when I visited a Thai restaurant in Brussels..

The service girls were Vietnamese, the bar man was from Laos and the chef was polish!

Like as said Laos people learn Thai from TV so they can come and work here. They do pronounce words differently when not trying.

I was told that last night too, I did ask what their favourite Thai soap was but the name went right over my head. I try to avoid Thai TV, I want to enjoy life.

biggrin.png

You'd be as paranoid as some TV members/ barstool experts if you did.

• Like 2

Although I speak passable Lao, I found that most people in Laos can understand Thai, both due to the similarity of Lao and Thai, and because Lao people like to watch Thai TV programmes.

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao

This is also what I read, and when I was working in Yangon I raised this question with the Shan owners of a local restaurant. I asked them to speak Shan to me and I'd speak Thai to them. They did this and we could not understand a single word of what the other was saying..... smile.png

Burmese is very different from Thai, but I can see some small similarities with the subscripts in both languages to form the sound 'u' and 'uuu'.

Simon

yur cuunvursatiuuns muust huud buun vuruu uunturuusting whistling.gif

The Tai Yai or Shan language spoken in Shan State of Burma is in the same language family as Thai and Lao.

Cambodian (Khmer) is also entirely different from Thai, although they use similar alphabets, and Thai has a number of loanwords originating in Khmer.

because so many receive thai tv in Cambodia, many understand basic Thai.

As a caveat, you can speak thai to get around in Lao and cambodia, but only as a tourist. Settl down somewhere and you will quickly find that your Thai becomes a source of resentment -- the locals will soon bgin to wonder when you will begin to make the effort in their real language that you made with thai

• Like 1

As a caveat, you can speak thai to get around in Lao and cambodia, but only as a tourist. Settl down somewhere and you will quickly find that your Thai becomes a source of resentment -- the locals will soon bgin to wonder when you will begin to make the effort in their real language that you made with thai

Fair point, I reckon it would be fairly easy to move from Thai to Laos, how about Thai to Cambodian?

On a side note, I was talking to a few Chinese girls in Chiang Mai last week, they reckoned it would be easy to learn Thai. Somewhere in my ( as normal confused ) head I've got this notion that if I go back into my Mandarin lessons, and keep up with the Thai lessons, then I'll be able to communicate in the majority of Asia.

Fair point, I reckon it would be fairly easy to move from Thai to Laos, how about Thai to Cambodian?

Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible. I know that much as I have no problem speaking Thai in Laos and having the responses in Lao. A bit like going from Oxford to the thickest of Glaswegian accents.

I don't speak Khmer, but friends who speak both tell me that there are a plethora of words in Khmer used in Thai, but perhaps in slightly different contexts. I guess if I sat down and studied it for a year, or went to live there, then I'd be able to speak it. But the difference is in a very rough sense probably equivalent to German and English.

• Like 1

In Central and Southern Laos, the language is similar to standard Thai. In Luang Prabang, it is like the Chiangmai dialect. This is what my Chiangmai Thai friend told me when we went there together. He subsequently received a letter in Lao (in Lao alphabet too), and was able to make out the meaning.

Thai, or a version of it, is also spoken in Sipsongbanna ("12,000 ricefields") and surrounding areas in Yunnan.

• Like 1

In Central and Southern Laos, the language is similar to standard Thai. In Luang Prabang, it is like the Chiangmai dialect. This is what my Chiangmai Thai friend told me when we went there together. He subsequently received a letter in Lao (in Lao alphabet too), and was able to make out the meaning.

Thai, or a version of it, is also spoken in Sipsongbanna ("12,000 ricefields") and surrounding areas in Yunnan.

I was talking to a Laos man on the boat yesterday, his wife ( who was with him and child ) is from Yunnan.

Hmmm... a variation on the same theme...

Like it or not - more than half of the world speaks English.

Therefore, from the points of view of Business, Communicability, Culture etc. it is far more important for Thais to speak English than visa-versa.

But I was severely bashed here for these outrageous ideas... think it's time for spanking again. biggrin.png

Didn't we explore this topic to death? Please stop these provocations...

• Like 1

It's also the daily language in a smaller province in the North of Vietnam.

• Like 1

I found it useful sometimes. Whilst serving in the Military, when addressing Officers I did not particulary care for..

A Thai word that sounds remarkably like 'Sir' in English. เซ่อ

Hmmm... a variation on the same theme...

Like it or not - more than half of the world speaks English.

Therefore, from the points of view of Business, Communicability, Culture etc. it is far more important for Thais to speak English than visa-versa.

But I was severely bashed here for these outrageous ideas... think it's time for spanking again. biggrin.png

Didn't we explore this topic to death? Please stop these provocations...

A tad too sensitive are we? Where was it asked if learning Thai was more important than learning English? The topic is.......

" The Thai Language......Where Else Is It Useful "

Feel free to answer that question and leave English out of it.

Thai and Lao are mutually intelligible. I know that much as I have no problem speaking Thai in Laos and having the responses in Lao. A bit like going from Oxford to the thickest of Glaswegian accents.

I don't speak Khmer, but friends who speak both tell me that there are a plethora of words in Khmer used in Thai, but perhaps in slightly different contexts. I guess if I sat down and studied it for a year, or went to live there, then I'd be able to speak it. But the difference is in a very rough sense probably equivalent to German and English.

Perhaps the Lao listeners understand Thai for the reasons already given, and not because the languages are interchangeable

My Thai fiends will speak in their Issan dialect when they do not want some of the southerners listening in.

Perhaps the Lao listeners understand Thai for the reasons already given, and not because the languages are interchangeable

My Thai fiends will speak in their Issan dialect when they do not want some of the southerners listening in.

I don't know what you mean my 'interchangeable'. I said they are 'mutually intelligiible', meaning speakers of each can generally understand what the other is saying. Accents vary of course, but a good portion of the vocab (say 80 to 85%) is exactly the same. And if it isn't, you can still put 2 and 2 together given the remainder of the words are used in slightly different ways in the other country.

Truth be told, I have a harder time understanding southern dialects of Thai than I do central Lao.