Cbr 250 Dead

KRS1

Went out to buy some Oatmeal cookies and bike wont start in front of Rimping Supermarket after i come out. Too dark to diagnose so load it in the back of a truck taxi this evening and drop off at dealer. BTW Sangchai Honda on Kaew Nawarat road has a security guard that will put your bike inside the garage after hours...So if you have a Honda that breaks , this is a good place to take it. They also have the cheapest parts in town.

Wont start.... engine just makes a sizzling static stuttering noise coming from the ignition coil. Hoping its just a relay, but died on me a few days ago thinking it was out of gas, well obviously it wasnt.

So anyone ever have a no start problem with their CBR 250 before? Hopefully the warranty will cover it, if not then i anticipate further dealer rape.

Honda quality my ass.

I just checked the book and it says 2010, so no warranty for me...saai.gif......just bought some Leo to deal with the pain....

Never had a bike this new break on me in 25 years.

I think its some type of overvoltage problem thats been building up. Coil, ECU, Rectifier, Stator or relay...

EDIT: No wait its still 2013...how long is the warranty, anybody know?

Edited by KRS1

That's a bit of bad luck. How many kilometres you done?

27xxx

10xxx of that was from me in the past 3 months.

Shit, forgot to listen for the Fi system to boot up.

Happened to me but mine was just flat battery after not riding for a few months. The stator on early bikes has been a problem. A guy in the USA managed to get his under warranty (just out) as he successful said it was a part fault.. worth a try.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

Yes. Happened about 2 weeks ago.

Was the stator. Around 2500b.

Bike has 56k km on it.

Freaking great.

Bye Bye CBR...

i don't understand the melodrama.

take it to honda, throw some money at it if it is no longer under warranty and get it sorted.

what is this bye bye cbr nonsense?

I dont really like it to begin with except for the handling which is great, engine is just kinda blah.... If the stator is faulty, either the enamel coating on the wires melted or its low grade copper windings that cant handle excessive heat .

There is a big difference between Thai windings and German windings, i use to make voice coils and know the difference in thermal tolerance between wires. Thai windings get very hot, where German enameled wire stays much cooler and use better enamel.

Im always redlining this thing which results in higher voltage and higher heat on the stator and rectifier diode. If this is the fault, the CBR cant handle me, hence why i need to sell it. For someone who likes to putt around it would be fine.

----------------------------------

Shop just called and said it was the battery, but im not 100% sure this is the fault...had no battery problems at all, i think overvoltage killed it do to faulty rectifier.

Theyre going to call back after checking it in a bit.

Edited by KRS1

Im always redlining this thing which results in higher voltage and higher heat on the stator and rectifier diode. If this is the fault, the CBR cant handle me, hence why i need to sell it. For someone who likes to putt around it would be fine.

Surely heat would result from a high current load from say running auxiliary lighting. Higher engine RPM has nothing to do with it.

did you try to hit the bike on 2nd gear last night?

if it is battery, it has to work this way.

i never had any single problem with my cbr250, never let me down.

but yours is a second hand one i guess and god knows who used it in which conditions before.

and trading a cbr250 with Keeway 200, made me laugh man, hahahss. Only a stupid rider can do that or an ignorant one or a cheap charlie.

but yours is a second hand one i guess and god knows who used it in which conditions before.

and trading a cbr250 with Keeway 200, made me laugh man, hahahss. Only a stupid rider can do that or an ignorant one or a cheap charlie.

that comment on the keeway was tongue in cheek. referring to Krs1 other post that he wanted to trade his cbr for a ninja 250. as if anyone wants to downgrade....

I hope you understand the joke now LL....thumbsup.gif

Edited by pokerkid

Similarly, our 6 month old Wave's battery died yesterday. The Honda dealer was out within 30 mins with a new battery. They said it's because the bike isn't used enough on short little runs, which is <deleted>, but there you go. Batteries do get eaten here for some reason, hence I have a battery tender for my old bike.

• Like 1

...ok false alarm, it was just the battery. But someones been at the stator housing before, there are marks on the center cap, hopefully thats already been changed.

ok so the maintenence free battery really isnt maintenence free...you have to fill it with acid every once in a while, its not a sealed battery at all as it implies.

Checked the voltage, climbed from 12.1 - 14.1 at approx 8k rpm. Rectifier seems to be ok.

Id check your batteries if its older than a couple of years and fill em up. Im going to throw some extra ground wires on it too.

Dealer rape = 1650 baht plus free wash coupon at shell.

Actual cost of Battery 700 baht

Edited by KRS1

that comment on the keeway was tongue in cheek. referring to Krs1 other post that he wanted to trade his cbr for a ninja 250. as if anyone wants to downgrade....

I hope you understand the joke now LL....thumbsup.gif

Id rather walk...lol

• Like 1

really strange, i use cbr250 once a week or two weeks and it starts always on the first push on the self starter. and it is one and a half years old now.

Maybe mine was a goo done, i am not sure and i never filled any acid or did any maintenance.

it is all about chance and karma in Thailand i guessbiggrin.png

• Like 1

...ok false alarm, it was just the battery. But someones been at the stator housing before, there are marks on the center cap, hopefully thats already been changed.

ok so the maintenence free battery really isnt maintenence free...you have to fill it with acid every once in a while, its not a sealed battery at all as it implies.

Checked the voltage, climbed from 12.1 - 14.1 at approx 8k rpm. Rectifier seems to be ok.

Id check your batteries if its older than a couple of years and fill em up. Im going to throw some extra ground wires on it too.

Actually the non-honda branded batterys are about 900b but you do not get your fee wash token laugh.png

Actually the non-honda branded batterys are about 900b but you do not get your fee wash token laugh.png

still getting price raped...just not as bad i suppose?

really strange, i use cbr250 once a week or two weeks and it starts always on the first push on the self starter. and it is one and a half years old now.

Maybe mine was a goo done, i am not sure and i never filled any acid or did any maintenance.

it is all about chance and karma in Thailand i guessbiggrin.png

yeah it is strange....never had a battery problem. Always starts in the morning, headlights never dimmed, no apparent extra draw from alternator...plus the Fi system booted up, gauges lit up...but not enough current to spin the starter.

<deleted>?

Only thing i can deduce is that the battery dried up.Your bike is 1.5 years old, mine is 3...

I had a Nissan once that should have killed the battery long ago....But i regrounded with a star ground configuration and constantly kept the acid level up, i also had a 4k watt stereo system running off of it, and the battery kept going as long as i took care of the acid level and gave it a good ground wire. I also ran an extra power wire from the alternator to the battery....So im going to go ahead and try all these things and see if its an improvement on the CBR.

With the Nissan , it ran better had more power and fuel efficiency increased. But it was severely undergrounded from the factory to begin with.

One interesting thing though, i can pull wheelies now with the new battery while in first...strange, im guessing that there was indeed alternator drag with the old battery. When i think about it, the bike was running rough and shitty for the past few days but i mistakenly attributed that to needing to lube the chain. I know because i lubed it today and it still feels the same.

Edited by KRS1

Batteries suffer from the heat here.

I had battery problems with my Ducati when it was about two years old, and used for the odd ride during weekends and holidays only.

Got a new battery and treated the bike to a drip charger which charges and uncharges (not sure if that is the right term) according to preprogrammed cycles.

Never had battery problems since.

Very easy. Permanent fitting fixed to the battery and after a ride it is just a matter of plugging it in...

Cant remember the price, believe eur 50 or so (brought it from europe when visiting there)

• Like 1