Yahoo To Users: Let Us Read Your Emails Or — Goodbye!

phuketrichard

Note;

goes for emails SENT to a Yahoo account as well;

Read the bold.

As of June 1, all Yahoo email users are required to upgrade to the company’s newest platform, which allows Yahoo to scan and analyze every
email they write or receive. According to Yahoo’s help page, all users who make the transition agree to let the company perform “content
scanning and analyzing of your communications content” to target ads, offer products, and perform “abuse protection.”

The new tracking policy affects more than just Yahoo account holders. Everyone who corresponds with a Yahoo email account holder will also
have their own message content scanned, analyzed, and stored by Yahoo,even if they themselves have not agreed to Yahoo’s new terms of service.

http://www.pakalertpress.com/2013/06/03/yahoo-to-users-let-us-read-your-emails-or-goodbye/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+pakalert+%28Pak+Alert+Press%29

I'll wait for the notice from Yahoo about this.

“Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail

(including Yahoo! Mail Classic) will no longer be available. After that,

you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new

version. When you upgrade, you will be accepting our Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This includes the acceptance of automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content.”

Link: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/yahoo-shuts-down-mail-classic/

or direct from Yahoo

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&page=content&id=SLN8519

Something Interesting from that page:

If you prefer to opt out of interest-based and contextual-based

advertising resulting from your scanned and analyzed communications

content, you can change your settings at any time using our Ad Interest Manager.

Edited by MJCM

This is much more than just using users' email content for ads, marketing, etc...the NSA (National Security Agency) in the US is near completion of a mammoth-sized data storage facility in western Utah, buried inside a mountain. The purpose of this facility will be to collect ALL digital communications of every American citizen, perm residents and basically everyone in the US.

The data will then be parsed and fed into a database used to track and analyze every communication, financial transaction, etc. made by everyone. Everything one types and/or speaks on platforms like email, SMS, IM, Facebook, Twitter, Skype, telephone, etc. will be gathered and fed into this data collection center.

NSA's official mission historically has been to monitor foreign communications. Now their mission is to collect data on every American.

This information has already been made public in the US mainstream media.

Time for us to get our alu hats out of storage wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Aluminum won't do the trick...you'll need a copper mesh type of party hat to block transmissions...

I'll wait for the notice from Yahoo about this.

>“Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail

version. When you upgrade, you will be accepting our Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This includes the acceptance of automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content.”

Link: http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/02/yahoo-shuts-down-mail-classic/

or direct from Yahoo

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&y=PROD_MAIL_CLASSIC&page=content&id=SLN8519

Something Interesting from that page:

If you prefer to opt out of interest-based and contextual-based

advertising resulting from your scanned and analyzed communications

content, you can change your settings at any time using our Ad Interest Manager.

Hey, thanks. Followed Yahoo link to Ad Sense Engine and opted out, but still have to accept the T&C's when "upgrading", presume that'll be this week sometime, haven't seen anything yet.

FWIW and more savvy members may already know all this, but I actually linked to and read Yahoo's Privacy Policy and T&Cs and found another link to a Network Advertising Initiative org. http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ , which Yahoo says it's a member of.

Above link scans your 'puter on arrival and in my case, found 70 advert orgs that my browser is signed up to for this user based advert crap. I opted out of all just on principle. Took 3 separate scans and about 10-15 minutes to get all 70, noted you have to do this (as well as Yahoo opt out) for each computer your use, something about cookies, etc. The site recommends further you scan from time to time, it's not a one time "cleaner".

To the OP, sorry mate, it was just the source link in OP seemed like one of those thin paranoia sites. No slight intended and thanks for the look in on this.

Rgds,

J

<snip>

FWIW and more savvy members may already know all this, but I actually linked to and read Yahoo's Privacy Policy and T&Cs and found another link to a Network Advertising Initiative org. http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/ , which Yahoo says it's a member of.

Above link scans your 'puter on arrival and in my case, found 70 advert orgs that my browser is signed up to for this user based advert crap. I opted out of all just on principle. Took 3 separate scans and about 10-15 minutes to get all 70, noted you have to do this (as well as Yahoo opt out) for each computer your use, something about cookies, etc. The site recommends further you scan from time to time, it's not a one time "cleaner".

<snip>

Good link, thx for that, if you don't like these trackers use a addon like ghostery (which disables them forever) and after you close your browser run ccleaner and select the cookies you want to keep and remove the rest !!

<snip>

<snip>

Good link, thx for that, if you don't like these trackers use a addon like ghostery (which disables them forever) and after you close your browser run ccleaner and select the cookies you want to keep and remove the rest !!

Maybe just a coninkadink after opting out of the Yahoo ad sense engine last night ~

Just went to send a Yahoo email and got an error box popup, saying they had detected suspicious activity on my account so had suspended my "send" capability. Got it twice more, unable to send.

The error help link suggested I change my PW, which I did remembering when my (and many others') account got buggered back in 2012. Got the same error after, then gave me a CAPCHA to get through, then finally sent.

Edited by 55Jay

^ No problem here, can send emails without any problems, also opted out of everything :) Just a thought, but maybe a good idea to change your password ???

I change my email pwd at least 1 time a month

Edited by MJCM

^ No problem here, can send emails without any problems, also opted out of everything smile.png Just a thought, but maybe a good idea to change your password ??? I change my email pwd at least 1 time a month Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Is this a hoax topic ? is someone here in the know about stuff ?

Agreed but my story was a no-shitter. Maybe just me, apparently, and like I said, a mere coninkadink.

Weirdo in me thinks Yahoo didn't like my opt out last night, so punished me today for being so...... private & conservative. LOL.

Transam, naw mate, not me. I'm just a head in the sand dummy in lower Issan but belated thanks to PhuketRichard. I occasionally get my anti-big brother piss on Obama for Bush's policies apron on, even though I sense it's a losing battle these days.

We are tracked, categorized and handed around like the underwear from my favorite Patts honey-ko. What to do. hit-the-fan.gif

Odd, but Yahoo have said nothing to me about this.

If you switch from the old version to the new version, you are accepting the new TOS. Read post #4.

> When you upgrade, you will be accepting our Communications Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. This includes the acceptance of automated content scanning and analyzing of your communications content.”

Fair enough. Then I'll stick with what version I have for now. If they insist I have to upgrade at any point, they can get stuffed ;)

I'd not be surprised if they lose a lot of customers if this is their idea of e-mail.

I currently see no reason to encrypt what I send out but I do notice that there is more and more snooping going on with text messages, e-mails and the like. All in the name of 'terrorism' etc. And to me that is a massive breach of privacy for anyone.

Come to think of it, I have noticed a hell of a lot more spam coming through from insurance companies, supermarkets and other places over the last 2 weeks or so to my main e-mail account with Yahoo, yet I've not changed or accepted any change of service.

<snip>

Fair enough. Then I'll stick with what version I have for now. If they insist I have to upgrade at any point, they can get stuffed wink.png

I'd not be surprised if they lose a lot of customers if this is their idea of e-mail.

<snip>

I think they already can get stuffed wink.png

Read this

Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail

version.

So my guess is that you are already using the new version and thus accepted the TOS

To give you an Idea.

This is a screenshot of the new version

and this of the old version (notice the word Classic)

<snip>

Fair enough. Then I'll stick with what version I have for now. If they insist I have to upgrade at any point, they can get stuffed wink.png

<snip>

I think they already can get stuffed wink.png

Read this

>Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail

version.

So my guess is that you are already using the new version and thus accepted the TOS

To give you an Idea.

attachicon.gifyahoo_new.jpg

attachicon.gifyahoo_old.jpg

thanks for the jpegs :)

No, not the same as the new one. I am still on Yahoo classic.

Yet I do wonder IF they are using / accepting more spam.and have not really said anything about doing so.

Fair enough. Then I'll stick with what version I have for now. If they insist I have to upgrade at any point, they can get stuffed Posted Image

I think they already can get stuffed Posted Image

Read this

>Beginning the week of June 3, 2013, older versions of Yahoo! Mail

version.

To give you an Idea.

Posted Imageyahoo_new.jpg

Posted Imageyahoo_old.jpg

thanks for the jpegs :)

No, not the same as the new one. I am still on Yahoo classic.

Yet I do wonder IF they are using / accepting more spam.and have not really said anything about doing so.

In whole honesty, I am receiving the same amount of spam (about 30 a day) and it doesn't bother me much, just a quick look every day and then hit the recycle bin button ;)