Trip Report, Phnom Penh For Tourist Visa

USA passport

Starting point: Mae Sot

Mae Sot to BKK(Mo Chit): First class bus, depart 9pm, arrive 4:30. 430 baht

BKK to Rongkleu Market: AC bus, departs Mo Chit 5am, arrive 10am(I think), 230ish baht

Border crossing no problem. Had no photo, paid one dollar, total $21. No hassles, ten minutes total to cross around 11am.

Poipet to Phnom Penh: AC bus, $7. Bus half full. Didn't check departure and arrival times, best guess 8-9 hours. After crossing into Cambodia, walked about 700 meters straight past roundabout, several places on right hand side to book buses. Went to local market behind for beer and food before getting ticket. Bought ticket, told them I wanted next AC bus to Phnom Penh. Paid money and he called a guy that picked me up on moto, took me to bus and left ten minutes later. Two stops along the way for toilet(in bushes) and once for eating.

Thailand Visa: Dropped off passport at One World Travel before 11am and picked up two days later at 5pm. 3 day = $50, 4 day = $41(I think). Tried to get one on next day service and they said could not. Did not need return ticket, only photo. This is for single entry, forgot to ask about double entry.

Stayed at Sunday GH in Phnom Penh, $7 a night for fan room with tv, bath, and wifi. $11 for A/C. It's located on street 141, close to Orussey Market.

Of note: Passport has two previous tourist visas, about two years ago. Passport has about 20 pages of two-week stamps. Passport is due to expire in about five months.

Does tourist visa start from issue date or at time of crossing?

The validity date is usually 90 days from date of issue for a single entry, when you do enter, you will be stamped permitted to stay 60 days from that date.

I would go ahead and apply for a new passport in the near future.

Edited by beechguy

Thanks for info, you were very lucky that they did not spot the validity date of your passport.

The regulation indicate at least 6 month validity.

You were lucky?

Afaik Phnom Penh does not issue Double Entry Tourist Visa.

Actually, not for Thailand. As long as the passport is still valid for the entire period you intend to stay, it's acceptable. Having said that, I would have still applied for a new passport as many neighboring countries such as Laos DO have a minimum 6-month requirement, should you need to head there for a visa run.

Thanks for info, you were very lucky that they did not spot the validity date of your passport.The regulation indicate at least 6 month validity.You were lucky?Afaik Phnom Penh does not issue Double Entry Tourist Visa.

Actually, not for Thailand. As long as the passport is still valid for the entire period you intend to stay, it's acceptable. Having said that, I would have still applied for a new passport as many neighboring countries such as Laos DO have a minimum 6-month requirement, should you need to head there for a visa run.

The Embassy require 6 month.

Thanks for info, you were very lucky that they did not spot the validity date of your passport.

The regulation indicate at least 6 month validity.

You were lucky?

Afaik Phnom Penh does not issue Double Entry Tourist Visa.

Getting a new passport would have been the best option, but I procrastinated and had to go this route. As long as I got into Cambodia, I was prepared to stay here and get new passport if needed.

I chose Cambodia over Laos due to the passport expiration issue. From previous reports I have read online, almost all have stated it was not an issue for Cambodia if overland crossing. I figured at worst, I could pay some extra and get across. Was aware of Thailand allowing less than six months but was still uncertain because of all the stamps and previous visas. I figured using the agency may help my chances along with less hassle of going to Embassy.

Will get new passport when return to Thailand or get it here if I decide to stay for a few weeks.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So if I read Acocadoandbacon's message correctly:

situation in September 2013 was that "leave passport on Monday morning before 11am and get it two days later at 5pm" = Monday to Wednesday afternoon, and that is extra cost service?

This is quite a difference then to Laos and other embassies around Thailand then eh? In sense that Cambodia takes so much longer, that their REGULAR tourist visa service is 4 days (!) from Monday to Thursday? As Vientiane and others it is "leave on Monday morning, pick up Tuesday afternoon".

I am just trying to figure out where to jump next week to get a tourist visa as old visa will be invalid. I have never done tourist visa runs before. (Always been with non-immigrant visas here).

cheers for clarification, just trying to make really sure before deciding between flying to Phnom Penh vs. the boring train trip to Nong Khai and to Vientiane. :)