Soi 7 Beer Garden Closing?

WinnieTheKhwai

I'm a bit confused here on the "redevelopment" plans for the area..

As you walk into/down the soi, the Beer Garden is on the left hand side...but the seafood oriented outdoor food court and the New Wave pool bar are on the right side.

Are they talking about re-doing both sides of the street?

As you, yes you, read this, do you still think Biergarten is closing? If so, please return and read more. It seems people read the first post and immediately click on POST having missed the facts.

If I had 1000 baht for everytime I have heard that absolutely positively the beer garden is closing I would have a LOT of BAHT......

If it does close it will certainly be the end of one of the more "entertaining" spots in Bangkok. Sure the quality has gone down and the prices have gone up but it is still a great place to have a beer and watch the girls at work. Unfortunately most of the staff from years gone by have departed and the current staff just doesn't measure up.

I miss the garden of old with the parrot squawking away, Carlsberg on tap at 35 baht and waitresses that knew nearly all the customers........I suspect it was the first stop for many new arrivals off the isaan express.

...contrast this thread to the closing of Bed Supper Club.

Too funny.

That makes me happy. Bed is a place for cheap arse eurotrash who can't seem to figure out how to use the top 3 buttons on thrie shirts. Sadly i do like some of the seafood in the stalls. Prawns are nice when drinking beer and people watching.

A Shame, as I liked it when I had to be in BKK and it was an affordable place to sit and drink some beers!!!

About two years ago, I read somewhere that the Beir Garten was a place where ex pats meet for a drink and blether ( not The Blether we all know)One day late afternoon, I walked in and started to walk around, looking for Farangs to join for a drink ( in my case orange juice), this guy started to follow close behind me, probably a sort of doorman, not being a bar hopper, I don't know whether this is usual or not, so I just waved my hand at him and walked back out, may I add that I do not wear shorts, simmets, have facial hair or tattoos, so I wonder what his problem was.

Perhaps THAT was the problem

So if I want to go to the Beer Garten, I should let myself get fat (that would take some time) disfigure myself with tattoos, grow facial hair and wear shorts, oh, and a Rab C Nesbitt simmet.

So Mr. Clean cut D***he nozzle you have something against guys with Tatts and Facial hair? Hmmm book meet cover. Gotta love guys who stero type on ones choice of style.

As you, yes you, read this, do you still think Biergarten is closing? If so, please return and read more. It seems people read the first post and immediately click on POST having missed the facts.

OK... so, there's the OP poster who says he's heard the BG is closing...

and post #5 saying no, it's the places on the opposite side of the street.

Not much definitive to go on here....

No, I have nothing against guys like that, my best friend out here is like that, fat, facial hair, tattoos etc, I also sit in the company of these guys from time to time, I just think they are ugly. Maybe I'm jealous because these guys are rich, and that is the only way they can attract women, going by your user name, I assume you are a Scot like me.

The Beer Garden has always been an interesting place, if not a little depressing. I've met a number of ex-SAS, Special Forces guys there in the past. Often their patter didn't back up their assertions, but isn't that Thailand?

As far as the slappers that frequent the place, I liken it to an elephant burial ground where old bar girls go to die.

• Like 1

The Beer Garden has always been an interesting place, if not a little depressing. I've met a number of ex-SAS, Special Forces guys there in the past. Often their patter didn't back up their assertions, but isn't that Thailand?

As far as the slappers that frequent the place, I liken it to an elephant burial ground where old bar girls go to die.

Rubbish. It was full of some really hot stuff yestreen all plugging for a mug to take them and their pals/boyfriends to a disco....

Rubbish. It was full of some really hot stuff yestreen all plugging for a mug to take them and their pals/boyfriends to a disco....

We obviously have different taste in female companionship. To each his own.

I asked at both the Beergarden and New Wave if they were about to close and be knocked down and they knew nowt about it.

I think this is a Stickman 'rumour' and as usual he's about a million miles off the mark (let's not forget this is the bloke who said Nana Plaza was going to close in 2005/7/9/11)...

• Like 2

"if not a little depressing. I've met a number of ex-SAS, Special Forces guys there in the past. Often their patter"....plus SEALs Green Berets,Marines ...Paras.....

They are all living underground in Washington Square...go and check... but bear in mind they are expert at camo....honest.

The wife and I are friends with many of the day staff and have been for many years. Things did turn down when the old boss dies a few years ago and the son does not have the character to replace him. Over the last couple of years, rumors from the staff have suggested that the end might be imminent as the bar is on a 2 year lease which might (or might not) expire towards the end of 2014.

There is a belief that a hotel group may want to re-develop the whole area between Soi 7 and Soi 5, that is quite a lot of real estate.

The staff have been told not to discuss matters with customers, so, sadly, I believe there might be some truth in their closure. However, as we all know, things around here can change very quickly and this "institution" would be sorely missed, well, by us at least!

Edited by planemad

Can't see why what must be one of the most profitable bars in Bkk would close.

Even when it is quiet, it has more punters than most places.

Hard to make a profit when half of the customers are sitting all day nursing a water.

First bar i ever entered in thailand , december 24th 2004.

What a surprise it was to me back then.

Newbie first time fresh out of the UK 31years old.

Took my mate ages to get me to beleive they were All availiable , few beers later and well mmm welcome to Thailand.

Happy memories for sure.

Last time I was at New Wave I mentioned that I had heard it was closing to someone there, who then asked a staff member. The staff member kind of looked shocked, and then came up to me and asked how I knew. I said "the internet". She gave me the "hush hush" signal and said yes, it will close in December. So yeah, apparently they are closing, but it isn't supposed to be "out"

I was there today at about 3PM.

Not many guys but quite a few ladies.

Seems that the best looking girls are always along the left wall as you come in.

Only a handful were at the Nana bus stop.

The Thermae has gone Asian.

Soon the BG will be gone.

I just hope that the Coconuts will repopulate BR after the present 'improvement' is completed.

Is Bamboo open during the day? And it's not an exclusively Middle Eastern place these days? (Just asking, I think I remember the place, but it's bean years and years)

I remember it has the Bier Kutsche. Middle Easterners were not served there then.

• 2 weeks later...

I was there today at about 3PM.

Not many guys but quite a few ladies.

Seems that the best looking girls are always along the left wall as you come in.

Only a handful were at the Nana bus stop.

The Thermae has gone Asian.

Soon the BG will be gone.

I just hope that the Coconuts will repopulate BR after the present 'improvement' is completed.

I heard that there is a new mobile app coming in Thailand soon for finding freelance girls. Cannot recall the name. I'll look around for it though. Might be a good alternative to the nightly prowl!

Sad....I have many many happy memories from the Beer Garden...

But now it is a bit of a horror show with the old slappers. A far cry

from 14 years ago, when there were so many hot young girls it was hard

to decide who you wanted to go with.. So with Thermae having gone Asian,

the Beer Garden soon to close, and Nana plaza wall to wall lady boys,

guess my trips to Bangkok for fun are going to be cut down....

Sad....I have many many happy memories from the Beer Garden...

But now it is a bit of a horror show with the old slappers. A far cry

from 14 years ago, when there were so many hot young girls it was hard

to decide who you wanted to go with.. So with Thermae having gone Asian,

the Beer Garden soon to close, and Nana plaza wall to wall lady boys,

guess my trips to Bangkok for fun are going to be cut down....

This might help....supergik.com it looks like a new mobile app for "pay for play."

• 2 weeks later...

Just chatted to a long term acquaintance who operates a hair salon in the arcade... she told me a while back that the old man/lady that owned the building and the New Wave etc was very old and the heirs were intending to sell. Today she told me that they have to be out at the end of the year.

BTW if you have ingrowing toenails she is an expert at easing the pain from them and cutting them well. I have been going to her since 2004.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from the Beer Garden (with the wife, I am not a monger - but enjoy looking!). Anyway, as I said in an earlier post, things did not look good for the future of the place. I was therefore quite amazed to see so much work going on, there was a barrier just behind Nong and Bood's bar which was where the work was being carried out. It appears that the Beer Garden has taken over one of the pool bars halfway down the alley between Soi 7 and Soi 5. I cant remember the name of the bar but it was set back slightly and on the right just past the small Country Road.

It appears that the beer garden has taken that over and made an entrance through the main bars. In addition, the pool area is being updated and the window area besides it has been removed. All in all, much work is being carried out by the existing owner which must be costing quite a lot and is not expected to be finished for another 2 to 3 months, so what are the chances of it closing at the end of the year? Nil. I hope. But who really knows?

Edited by planemad

• 2 weeks later...

I spent a couple of days in this place with my cousin, who has been going there for years. He has been told its not shutting down but extending. Seemed like a nice place for a casual meal/drink.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app