Thai Customs Dept Confiscates 13 Luxury Cars Belonging To Businessmen In Isaan

webfact

Customs Department confiscates 13 luxury cars

BANGKOK, 4 June 2013 (NNT) – The Customs Department has confiscated 13 luxury cars belonging to businessmen in the northeastern of Thailand.

The police said the confiscation is irrelevant to the burning of 4 luxurious cars that took place in Nakhon Ratchasima last week.

The Provincial Police Region 4, in cooperation with the Customs Department, has announced a seizure of 13 luxury cars believed to have been smuggled in under a tax evasion scam, as none of them has any proof of registration and tax payment.

The 13 confiscated cars include 5 Mercedes-Benz, 1 BMW, 2 Toyotas, 3 Nissans, and a Volkswagen.

The cars will be held by authorities until the case is closed.

The police have also confirmed that the arrest is not related to the burning of the 4 high-end cars in Nakhon Ratchasima last week.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-06-04 footer_n.gif

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toyota , Nissan or volkswagen are far to be Luxury cars ..... was thinking about Rolls royce , Ferrari , lamborghini etc ....

It's Isaan. They aren't quite up with the wealth of the rest of the country yet.

One can only assume that these have been privately imported, because, if it was done through a dealer, they would have had to pay all the duties up front, and it would have been their job to get hold of the tax documents, not the buyers. The missus says that this is principally in Khon Kaen. Well 2 or 3 grey market dealers have sprung up in the last year or two there. Going to be some pretty p****d off pooyais for a few days while they find the cash to stump up for the duty. Even if they have to spring up with half of it, that will be quite a wedge on a really high end Merc.

Seems like the grey importers must have got the hump with people buying direct. Note the only way this can happen is if the customs department facilitates it anyway, so there must be some rather serious faces in the office at the ports in Bangkok this morning.

Note as yet, no mention of anyone in the customs department being transferred to an inactive position.

• Like 1

Toyota , Nissan or volkswagen are far to be Luxury cars ..... was thinking about Rolls royce , Ferrari , lamborghini etc ....

It's Isaan. They aren't quite up with the wealth of the rest of the country yet.

One can only assume that these have been privately imported, because, if it was done through a dealer, they would have had to pay all the duties up front, and it would have been their job to get hold of the tax documents, not the buyers. The missus says that this is principally in Khon Kaen. Well 2 or 3 grey market dealers have sprung up in the last year or two there. Going to be some pretty p****d off pooyais for a few days while they find the cash to stump up for the duty. Even if they have to spring up with half of it, that will be quite a wedge on a really high end Merc.

Well it's a break from blaming everything under the sun on the Bkk elite and hi-so folks.

• Like 1

Well it's a break from blaming everything under the sun on the Bkk elite and hi-so folks.

Well, I would have to counter with the arguement, that there are some amazingly wealthy families doing grey import business in Bangkok, and I could imagine that they wouldn't be too chuffed if someone started finding away to cut even them out of the middle. The grey middle men make a very very nice cut themselves. So one can only wonder who might have shopped these "private" importers, or agents in Isaan who were apparently stealing business from the businesses in Bangkok.

No one likes competition in their own back yard.

IN Channel reported earlier that Finance Minister Kittiratt has got into the action and instructed all departments to wrap up the investigation to these tax evasion scams as quickly as possible which may not be quite what it seems as it could so easily mean get this out of the headlines as soon as possible.

The 13 confiscated cars include 5 Mercedes-Benz, 1 BMW, 2 Toyotas, 3 Nissans, and a Volkswagen.

So, which one is the 13th?

uneven number so that one just went into the pocket.

"It's Isaan. They aren't quite up with the wealth of the rest of the country yet."

Clearly you have never been to Isaan then

Number 13 is unlucky as well.

Seems like the grey importers must have got the hump with people buying direct. Note the only way this can happen is if the customs department facilitates it anyway, so there must be some rather serious faces in the office at the ports in Bangkok this morning.

Note as yet, no mention of anyone in the customs department being transferred to an inactive position.

Looks as if they're pretty inactive already.

Number 13 is unlucky as well.

I'm guessing it was just a Tata Nano, so not worth reporting. :rolleyes:

Toyotas and Nissans are hardly luxury cars.

Nissan skyline GTR's etc are luxury sports cars.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Lexus is Toyota and is definitely luxury,have you ever been to Phnom Penh,Cambodia?

(Actually they've all switched to Range Rovers now!)w00t.gif

Toyotas and Nissans are hardly luxury cars.

Nissan skyline GTR's etc are luxury sports cars.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Got to agree with you there thumbsup.gif

Nissan GTR

2009%20Nissan%20GT-R.jpg

Lexus LFA would do as well wink.png

2011_Lexus_LFA.jpg

• Like 2

Now we are just waiting for a picture in the news of Naam and his car! whistling.gif

i don't think Farangs exist who buy a grey import without the customs clearance documents. to the best of my knowledge that kind of business is reserved for Thais with "connections".

besides... no registration/blue book for any imported car without the above-mentioned documents.