Best Chicken Tikka Masala? And, How Authentic?

WinnieTheKhwai

This is one of those dishes for which I never got to experience the original -and by original I mean "as served in the UK"-, so when making it myself I lack the background experience to know if I'm on target or not, or what sort of taste / spice balance I'm aiming for.

Now, Western food is pretty good and authentic in Pattaya, so I tried Chicken Tikka Masala at a sports pub/restaurant on Soi Bua Khao while watching the F1 racing. It was *fantastic*! Now, keep in mind this was the very first time in my life I had the dish, so really nothing to compare it to.

Can anyone reading this who does have the necessary culinary experience tell me if that particular place is close to what you'd get at a decent Indian restaurant in the UK? (I have been to India and the food is great, but CTM is just as much a UK dish so UK experience will do). Anyway the place was called 'Witherspoon' or some such, on SBK near Soi Diana.

Anyone know, or would like to volunteer?

Problem is that Indian food is so variable, even (especially?) in the UK. So if you found something you liked stick with it! Tikka masala should be made with Chiken Tikka, i.e. roasted/grilled marinated chicken, which is then served in a fairly thick, creamy, medium spicy orange coloured masala (sauce/gravy). Many times I've seen non-tikka chicken used which, at least to me, rather spoils the whole point of the dish.

Chiang Mai has a few. One of them was pretty good but can't remember the name. It's in the part of the city just inside the iron bridge. There is also one that's OK at the new tourist trap Aquatique on the river in Bangkok.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Forget it, you will not find a decent(?) Indian restaurant in Thailand - period

What most people don't realise is that 99% of the 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are actually run by Bangladeshi's. Think about it. Hindus don't eat beef and Muslims don't eat pork, but your local Indian will always have beef curry but not pork. What Pattaya needs is some Bangladeshi run restaurants.

As I don't require English style Indian food (or English/Bangladeshi/whatever) and Chicken Tikka is MEH for me, I have personally found some local Indian restaurants that work for me quite decently. No, the Indian food isn't nearly as good as I was used to in California, but if the Mexican food here was as good as the Indian food, I'd be doing cartwheels.

That said, I can't help with the OP's request but I can say I was NOT very impressed with the mentioned Tikka joint.

Edited by Jingthing

Forget it, you will not find a decent(?) Indian restaurant in Thailand - period

What most people don't realise is that 99% of the 'Indian' restaurants in the UK are actually run by Bangladeshi's. Think about it. Hindus don't eat beef and Muslims don't eat pork, but your local Indian will always have beef curry but not pork. What Pattaya needs is some Bangladeshi run restaurants.

You hit it on the head there, no real chefs - I also agree no good restaurants here - try Bradford nosh

Try Ally’s Bar and Restaurant at the bottom of soi 17 at the entrance to Suksabai Villas
(adjacent to Lion Bar).

The chicken tikke massala is very popular and you have a choice to eat inside(air con) outside or takeaway.

He has a charcoal oven for the Indian breads.

Try Ally’s Bar and Restaurant at the bottom of soi 17 at the entrance to Suksabai Villas

(adjacent to Lion Bar).

The chicken tikke massala is very popular and you have a choice to eat inside(air con) outside or takeaway.

He has a charcoal oven for the Indian breads.

You have got to be joking. I have had some poor curries in this town but this place takes the biscuit, I live around the corner and would sooner take Lion Pub, Punch & Judy and Caddy Shack before eating from this place again.

Indian food is very much a personal taste experience; I usually make my own!

But since Ahaar on Soi Paisani closed, I have had decent stuff, both dine-in and takeaway, from Zaika, opposite the Marriott on 2nd Road.

Rembrandt is way overpriced and mediocre at best. Agree with personal taste. Tried Masala Art in Thonglor, negative. Tried Red in Thonglor. So so. Bawarchi in Soi 11 and ITC ok.

But if you're going to be high-falutin' and all, Gaggan on Soi Langsuan has Britain's National Dish on the menu. And it's pretty good.

Haven't tried the place attached to the new Raja Tailors on Soi 8ish at the foot of the Nana BTS station. Worth checking out. Maybe this week.