Doctorate Degree In Thailand

Would you consider studying for a doctorate via distance-learning? The University of South Africa (unisa) has a good reputation for it's range of educational PhDs, and the cost is low when compared to other online doctorates or attendance doctorates.

It sounds like i'm in a similar position as you. I teach, have an MSc from London University, and want to study for a PhD. Since my Masters is in Science & Engineering, my doctorate research also has to be in this sector of education.

Here's the link to the course at unisa:

http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificationsMD/index.asp?link=http://www.unisa.ac.za/qualificationsMD/Navigation/CSET_ALL.html

The annual fee is no more than $2,000

Simon

• Like 1

Think about what you want to study. I have a MBA but chose to do a PhD rather than DBA. The PhD I chose is complimentary to my business qualifications but at the same time has different dimensions which make it interesting to research etc.

If you want to pursue a PhD in Englsih teaching then I believe Assumption University offers one. Bangkok University offers a PhD in Knowledge and Innovation management with the option of also pursuing a Doctorate from a partner university in France (all in English language).

I'd suggest you have a good look at all the options - what is available here and also via distance learning.

Since my Masters is in Science & Engineering, my doctorate research also has to be in this sector of education.

I doubt this. Don't know about SA but in the UK the minimum requirement for a PhD is a relevant first degree (min 2.1). Same in Thailand; see for example here: http://www.sasin.edu/programs/phd/admissions.html Also one would normally enrol in a degree programme that has relevance to one's current or further career path.

Edited by Morakot

I doubt this. Don't know about SA but in the UK the minimum requirement for a PhD is a relevant first degree (min 2.1). Same in Thailand;

If you check on the entry requirements for Unisa, they require a Masters degree in a field that's related to the PhD. The reason for this is that the latter can be completed in just a couple of years of research, so applicants are already expected to have completed a Masters.

Simon

So just to add that since I have a Masters of Science, I will be researching for a PhD in Science Education, probably concerning STEM education, which is a topic of interest for me.

Edited by simon43

Simon, Nowadays most people who do a PhD have a master degree, but it usually does not make the process faster. Unless of course you have a specific master degree by research that acts as you foundational research/ method training and would enable to you skip these components which are increasingly required for most PhD programmes.